Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Trapper Owner Association
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trapper 300 Fore Hatch (Read 18704 times)
barrie609
Seaman Apprentice

I Love YaBB 2!

Trapper 300 Fore Hatch
15.05.2007 at 20:50:19

I have recently bought a trapper 300 but the fore hatch clasp has corroded and broken away. Also the fibre glass hatch needs replacing. Can anyone recommend a company that deals with this or where I could get a new locking clasp from.

Many Thanks.

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Re: Trapper 300 Fore Hatch
Reply #1 - 18.05.2007 at 16:39:59

I am quite sure the forhatch was a bespoke moulding. I would imagine any competent GRP moulder could make a new one using the existing one as a pattern.

The catch on Star Trapper gave up the ghost many years ago & I chanced on a replacement at The London Yacht Centre. However I was never happy that the forhatch integrity was dependant on a flimsy catch, particularly when beating into a lumpy sea. I made up a wooden batten that clamps underneath the forepeak opening.  This is firmly held in place by a U bolt bracket fixed to the underside of the hatch and an umbrella shaped threaded bar (made up by an engineering friend) with a wing nut under the batten. I hope this desccription makes sense!

IP Logged
Boobytrapper
Boatswain Mate

I Love YaBB 2!

Clyde
Reply #2 - 09.11.2007 at 20:22:53

I used 2 small catches 304G
50mm x 23mm  JSCS03_
Part No: JSCS03    
And 2 retaining clasps JSCP02 fixed onto the hatch cover. I will try and get some pics next time I visit the boat.
Available from
http://www.juststainless.co.uk/catches.asp

IP Logged
Boobytrapper
Boatswain Mate

I Love YaBB 2!

Clyde
Reply #3 - 15.12.2007 at 19:02:05

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #4 - 16.12.2007 at 16:27:56

Those catches look very workmanlike. I also like the idea of two - belt & braces. Presumably you are in the process of replacing the rubber seal!! - something I find neccessary every 2-3 years.

IP Logged
Boobytrapper
Boatswain Mate

I Love YaBB 2!

Clyde
Reply #5 - 20.12.2007 at 20:01:50

Yes replaced the seal this year as a bit of water was getting in when the bow dived under a wave. the clasp also allow a bit of tension to be put on the seal.
I will get around to cutting the excess off the bolts some day.

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #6 - 12.02.2008 at 09:02:12

Same subject - different question.

As part of Star Trapper's refurbishment I had the deck so called non slip all resprayed with white epoxy containing non slip material - all very successful.

Unfortunately the forehatch was similarly treated and now light ingress is much reduced.

Any ideas to increase light penetration?

IP Logged
Stigthetrapper
Boatswain Mate

I'd rather be
tobogganing when its
snowing

River Test. Hampshire. UK.
Reply #7 - 19.02.2008 at 19:21:34

John,
Pendragon has a perspex panel fitted, I assume that it was a home mod. Two tapered rectangles where, I guess, hand cut from the solid hatch. There is a cross bar left in the hatch, the smoked perspex panel is screwed down on the outside with a gasket or sealer I think.
I imagine cutting the hatch with 2 panel holes helped keep the integrity of the hatch shape while the widow was being offered up and drilled etc. Perhaps if not just spung into a curve, the panel was heated with a hot air gun to help the curve or oven done for a more even pliability. I bet there is somewhere on the net describing just how to play with plexiglass or perspex!
Here is one about its properties :- http://www.rplastics.com/plexprimer.html   One thing in this site, states :-  "Remember, when acrylic sheet is heated to forming temperature (325 F), it will shrink 2.2 percent!"
I know from experience that there are some more flexible acrilics than the Perspex make so cold fitting could be fine. Some of these softer types are also less brittle.
Here is a picture showing my hatch, you can see the cross piece of the remaining hatch material. I will have another look at it all and get another picture or two for you if you wish.
Of course you will loose the non-slip aspect, but if you wanted, some thin strips of non slip tape on the window could do the business. Then again what's a few missing crew over the side, against visibility below! Let there be light! and a bit less crew.  

« Last Edit: 19.02.2008 at 19:49:43 by Stigthetrapper »  
  IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #8 - 19.02.2008 at 20:33:32

Thanks Martin

I noticed your forehatch when I was in Cowes the other week. Food for thought. Do you know yet whether it is leakproof ok? I have thought about one of those ventilators that are claimed to be leakproof provided not submerged. I don't make a habit of playing submarines but every now & again in the various overfalls..........!

John

IP Logged
Stigthetrapper
Boatswain Mate

I'd rather be
tobogganing when its
snowing

Reply #9 - 24.02.2008 at 22:34:21

John,
Here are 3 photos I took this weekend of the hatch detail. As you can see, the window is in two pieces. I think it was done like this so that there was a narrower piece of perspex to curve to the hatch contour. Looking closely at the inside of the hatch, it would appear that the windows have not leaked, just an inspired guess on that front!
I think you should be able to get the tapers to match rather better than whoever did the job on Pendragon. I would also leave a radius in the corners of the cutouts to stop possible cracking of the fiberglass at those points. We don't really want to repeat the early Comet aircraft failures again.

Cheers

Martin

« Last Edit: 25.02.2008 at 00:29:53 by Stigthetrapper »  
  IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #10 - 25.02.2008 at 17:33:40

Thanks Martin - I appreciate the photos. How long do you reckon to stay in Cowes?.....John

IP Logged
Stigthetrapper
Boatswain Mate

I'd rather be
tobogganing when its
snowing

Reply #11 - 26.02.2008 at 00:39:28

John,
I should have my mooring sorted out at Craknore Hard Sailing Club on Tuesday 26th. Then I will be able to move across some time during March. I want to utilise the luxury of the East Cowes Marina for some more of the practical stuff before having to leave for the lonely lands of of deep water fore and aft mooring buoys and the fally-outy rubber dinghy.
All that romantic rowing ashore with the failed outboard, an ebb tide and the classic English summer drizzle, the warm arc light glow across from the container birth, with it's serenade orchestra of crashing and screaming steel on steel percussion section, I can't wait.  
Regards.
Martin.

« Last Edit: 26.02.2008 at 00:53:58 by Stigthetrapper »  
  IP Logged
Bronzeage
Seaman Recruit

Love the water !

Reply #12 - 24.06.2019 at 22:18:17

Brilliant thread, Thanks Boobytrapper!

IP Logged
Pages: 1