Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Trapper Owner Association
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What furling system would you recomend? (Read 4581 times)
AndyN
Seaman Apprentice

Mmm... sweet sweet
penguin!

North East
What furling system would you recomend?
20.04.2008 at 21:36:21

Hi,

I am planning in fitting a new furling headsail system to my Trapper 28, which is masthead rigged.  Basicaly I am not a huge fan of changing sails on the foredeck in rough conditions  Embarrassed and would prefer to have all halyards within the cockpit to help single handed sailing.

Has anyone found any particular set of furling gear to be better than another, and how easy did you find it to fit?

Cheers

Andy

IP Logged
NAJS
Very Old Salt

South East England
Re: What furling system would you recomend?
Reply #1 - 21.04.2008 at 10:35:17

Father in Law installed a plastimo rig on his 22ft pilot house'd tub.  Brought the mast home for WInter and prep'd all the bits at home ready for a spring fit.  All fitted well, but we've yet to hear about sea trials - I'll let you know.

--------------------
I Love the smell of Epoxy in the morning... Smells like Victory!
  IP Logged
Nigel
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Isle of Man
Reply #2 - 20.06.2009 at 14:40:22

I have a nemo system which is excellent. Kemp sails can help here.

regards

Nigel

IP Logged
AndyN
Seaman Apprentice

Mmm... sweet sweet
penguin!

North East
Reply #3 - 28.07.2009 at 19:38:29

Just realised that I may be to much of a cheapskate to have a furling system  Embarrassed

Discussed options briefly with local supplier and the numbers just keep getting bigger.  Looks like the cheap option is plastimo in the region of 400.  However The sails we have are unlikely to be suitable for conversion due to being full length of forestay.  So add another 500? for a sail.  Also suggested the forstay is replaced at the same time so another 100.  Total so far... 1,000  Shocked

Other furling gear could be another 500 on top of this!  How do I justify this expense when it is nearly a quarter of the boat value?

Hanking on sails is looking better all the time  Huh

IP Logged
Vallich
Seaman Recruit

Love the water !

Reply #4 - 02.09.2012 at 22:55:46

I thought that I would refresh this thread and ask if anybody has got recommendations or experience of fitting a furling foresail rig to a Trapper 400? This thread is a few years old so I'm hoping that there might be some follk now here that would be able to help. The boat has a standard Genoa but I was thinking perhaps a Plastimo 609S would be suitable and then I s'pose I'll need to have the sail modified - I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

IP Logged
Corsair
Seaman Apprentice

I Love YaBB 2!

Cardiff South Wales
Reply #5 - 27.09.2012 at 10:02:06

We fitted one last year and I don't know why we didn't do it years ago!  As it happened all my genoas fitted without adjustment, but I suspect that's co-incidence.  We fitted a second hand furlex and for mooring, spinnaker handling etc it is so much better to have a clear foredeck.

Yes we had a new forestay, but I was able to co-incide that with the ten year rigging replacement required by the insurance company anyway.

Modifying the sails isn't that expensive, we had the number one leech trimmed so as it didn't catch the spreaders (it obviously sits a little further back) and it was less than 100.00.

A worthwhile exercise and I suspect it improves the sale-abilty of the boat if you ever wish to sell!!

Best regards & good luck.

IP Logged
Vallich
Seaman Recruit

Love the water !

Reply #6 - 01.10.2012 at 20:32:48

Thanks Corsair, I'll be looking to fit the furling/reefing rig when she's out of the water next early next year.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print