Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Trapper Owner Association
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tips on using the forum (Read 5641 times)
Nick
Forum Administrator

A bear of little
brain

Dorset
Tips on using the forum
07.12.2008 at 15:44:48

It was suggested that a comment I had put up on how to use pictures could be given a wider audience.

Please feel free to add to this thread if you want to know how something on here works or if you can answer somebody else's questions. I certainly don't know all the answers myself, somebody explained to me how the picture bit worked!

« Last Edit: 18.05.2009 at 07:51:49 by Nick »  

Nick
WWW   IP Logged
Nick
Forum Administrator

A bear of little
brain

Dorset
Re: Tips on using this forum
Reply #1 - 07.12.2008 at 15:53:57

uploading pictures to the postings.

There isn't an upload facility, but you can build in a link to pictures hosted elsewhere so that they can appear as pictures within your posting.

So the first thing to do is to identify the url of the picture, or to upload one to a hosting service  and then copy the address. If you are not already a member of a picture hosting service try googling a few of these and pick one that suits you,  flickr, imageshack, picasa, photobucket. Be warned, if you link to a page controlled by somebody else the link will remain the same even if the content of the page changes, usually this simply results in the link being broken at some point in the future.

When you want to include a picture in a posting you simply place the cursor in the message where you want the picture to start, and then click on the picture icon in the tags list at the top of the text box where you are typing your message.

The icon you want is third in from the left on the top row, above the underlined capital U, and if you hover your mouse over it then you get the prompt "insert image"

Click on that and two pairs of square brackets will appear in your text box. Now place the cursor between the two pairs of square brackets and paste in the URL for your picture. The URL must be that for the picture, not the page on which the picture sits. to find this simply right click on the image and select copy image location. Paste this into your posting. Highlight the url and then click on the little postcard icon, the brackets will now appear around your URL.

If it has worked you will be able to see the picture when you click on preview.

Those tags all work in a similar way, so feel free to explore what they do and have a go at making your postings more your own.

As with all of these codes, you only need to highlight the item and then click on the icon.

« Last Edit: 11.01.2009 at 15:48:23 by Nick »  

Nick
WWW   IP Logged
Colin
Very Old Salt

Jersey, CI.
Reply #2 - 07.12.2008 at 18:15:30

The pictures in 'Swinging the lead' were done using photobucket.
Really simple. Download the program from google. Then import any photo's in your computer that you want to share.
It then gives you a dropdown list of URL's. It explains which one to use for various applications. Copy the one which is applicable.
Go to the forum, write what you want and paste the URL (picture) where you want it.
Nick thinks that photobucket is a bit slow.  I'm sure that the many other hosting programs available use a similar system.
Cheers
Colin.

IP Logged
Nick
Forum Administrator

A bear of little
brain

Dorset
Reply #3 - 07.12.2008 at 18:20:30

Who Nick? Me Nick?

I have no preference for image hosting, personally I use Picasa but that is because I use it for managing all of my photographs on the PC and therefore it is a natural extension of that to use it for hosting albums.

I know some people have been put off Picasa by its wish to search your hard drive for photographs.

Nick
WWW   IP Logged
Colin
Very Old Salt

Jersey, CI.
Reply #4 - 07.12.2008 at 19:26:11

Maybe it was a different Nick!
My wife says that I should start taking garlic tablets to improve my memory.
I agree (have to) but keep forgetting.
Cheers.

IP Logged
wodge
Seaman Apprentice

I Love YaBB 2!

falmouth
Re: Tips on using the forum
Reply #5 - 26.11.2009 at 15:56:35

I saw a reference to an archive forum and ongoing projects somwhrer but cant find these Also a number of photos of improvements some one had done. Can any one help me find these please? Sorry if I am being a bit thick! Undecided Undecided

IP Logged
Colin
Very Old Salt

Jersey, CI.
Reply #6 - 26.11.2009 at 18:35:33

IP Logged
Nick
Forum Administrator

A bear of little
brain

Dorset
Reply #7 - 26.11.2009 at 20:29:38

wodge wrote on 26.11.2009 at 15:56:35:
I saw a reference to an archive forum and ongoing projects somwhrer but cant find these Also a number of photos of improvements some one had done. Can any one help me find these please? Sorry if I am being a bit thick! Undecided Undecided

Not thick, no, but this is the forum attached to the Trapper Owners Association website.

If you look at the website you will find lots of links to useful sites.

http://www.trapperyachts.org.uk

Nick
WWW   IP Logged
wodge
Seaman Apprentice

I Love YaBB 2!

falmouth
Reply #8 - 27.11.2009 at 08:13:06

Thanks Nick I can see a whole new list of improvements lining up for the winter. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print