Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Trapper Owner Association
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Propeller and shaft problems (Read 10160 times)
Nigel
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Isle of Man
Propeller and shaft problems
19.06.2009 at 16:32:59

I wonder if anyone can help here? I have recently had problems with my propeller being loose and no drive ahead or astern. The original shaft was from the dolphin engine and does not have a keyway. The prop I have is a 10 by 11 prop which has a machined keyway in it. I am not sure if this is the original propeller or not. What is the easiest way to solve the problem? Should I get the shaft milled get a new shaft or replace both shaft and prop. The engine is a yanmar GM10. Thank you for any assistance.

IP Logged
Nick
Forum Administrator

A bear of little
brain

Dorset
Re: Propeller and shaft problems
Reply #1 - 19.06.2009 at 17:14:50

If the prop is a good match for the taper on the shaft, and you can get the shaft out, then I think having a keyway machined into the shaft is probably the easiest all round.

Take shaft and propeller to local machine shop to get the correct keyway and key.

If the taper match isn't good they can sort that out too.

« Last Edit: 19.06.2009 at 17:15:18 by Nick »  

Nick
WWW   IP Logged
Nigel
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Isle of Man
Reply #2 - 20.06.2009 at 14:32:43

thanks for your reply

IP Logged
Nigel
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Isle of Man
Reply #3 - 20.06.2009 at 15:18:06

Can anyone tell me what the most popular prop is for a Trapper T28/400?
Thanks
Nigel

IP Logged
AndyN
Seaman Apprentice

Mmm... sweet sweet
penguin!

North East
Reply #4 - 20.06.2009 at 20:02:45

We still have the original shaft and it has a 2 blade folding prop.  I absoloutely hate the prop, which gives no drive in reverse.

I have had issues getting a suitable replacement (cheap  Wink ) due to the shaft diameter.  However we finaly got a 3 bladed prop to try after the next lift out.  Just need to check the blades are the right way round first  Undecided

« Last Edit: 20.06.2009 at 20:04:17 by AndyN »  
  IP Logged
Nigel
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Isle of Man
Reply #5 - 21.06.2009 at 21:45:04

I have not had problems with the prop before. I have a three blade prop which is fine ahed approx 5kts. However slow to grip astern and kicks to starboard if my memory is correct

IP Logged
Nick
Forum Administrator

A bear of little
brain

Dorset
Reply #6 - 21.06.2009 at 22:22:26

I'm surprised you only get 5 knots, the 400 is a light easily driven hull and I would expect more with a 1GM10 in calm conditions.

The gearbox of 1GM10 that we had ran a different ratio in reverse, this may be what causes you to feel you don't get so much grip.

Nick
WWW   IP Logged
Nigel
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Isle of Man
Reply #7 - 23.06.2009 at 22:59:48

I am not sure of the prop size which is critical along with pitch. Does anyone know the correct size of three bladed prop for the 400.

IP Logged
Corsair
Seaman Apprentice

I Love YaBB 2!

Cardiff South Wales
Reply #8 - 21.07.2009 at 07:27:39

I'm not sure whether I haven't seen this rather late, but my two bladed prop gives us an easy 6 knots on half throttle & 7 given full power.  I actually have a spare prop, slightly damaged, but coud be used as a template if you are still stuck.  Regards Jonathan

IP Logged
Nigel
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Isle of Man
Reply #9 - 21.07.2009 at 13:36:21

Thank you for your kind offer. I have now got a twelve by nine prop three blade to try. Hopefully this will sort the problem.

Thanks

Nigel

IP Logged
menai marine
Seaman Recruit

Love the water !

Reply #10 - 17.08.2009 at 09:58:35

We are hauling out a trapper 28 tuesday 18th of august.  The boat may have lost its prop or it may be spinning on the shaft.  We do not have much time to do the work as the hoist is needed for another job.
Could anybody let me know the dimensions for the prop, the boat still has the original dolphin engine.

IP Logged
Gary
Very Old Salt

I'd rather be on the
boat

Poole
Reply #11 - 18.08.2009 at 19:30:52

Try contacting Dolphin at Exeter. As far as I can remember all Dolphin 2 strokes were fitted with a 2 bladed prop on a standard Dolphin tapper supplied by them.

IP Logged
Nick
Forum Administrator

A bear of little
brain

Dorset
Reply #12 - 24.08.2009 at 09:54:33

How did it go? My recommendation would have been to speak to Dolphin too, as I think they supply the props with the engine, but I was all at sea!

Nick
WWW   IP Logged
Corsair
Seaman Apprentice

I Love YaBB 2!

Cardiff South Wales
Reply #13 - 02.11.2009 at 18:04:56

I may be a little late coming to this thread, but having read you have changed from a Dolphin to a Yanmar GM10, I am interested to know how the swap went.  I was able to purchase a GM10 s/h and plan to change them over early next year.  In particular I was interested how you resolved the propeller issue and also the engine bearers.  I presume the old ones have to be removed and replaced with new.  I have extolled the virtues of the Dolphin this year, but couldn't resist the tempetation when I saw a desiel advertised! I just thought no more petrol, no more electrics, no more mixing petrol & oil & no more flooded carburettor!  I hope I'm right!!

Regards  Jonathan

IP Logged
Corsair
Seaman Apprentice

I Love YaBB 2!

Cardiff South Wales
Reply #14 - 12.02.2010 at 18:16:55

Hi: Well, I've collected the engine and it is sitting alongside the old Dolphin. If anyone has done this swap some advice would be appreciated on the propeller as the prop that came with the engine looks, at first pass to be a little large.  Regards Jonathan

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print