Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Autopilot (Read 2819 times)
Aura
Seaman Recruit

Coastie

Autopilot
22.06.2010 at 22:25:19

Having recently puchased Aura (previously named Trapper, which I thought was rather odd) I notice that there are fittings where a tillerpit would be used. Now, I know that the tiller would need to be higher for the tillerpilot to connect to the tiller - the 'pip' on the tiller is angled when in the 'manual' or hand-steered position.
How do you keep the tiller in it's 'lifted' position? I feel sure it must be somethng to do wioth the stainles steel fitting at the tiller base where it joins the rudder stok, but I just can't make it out.
Any input would be greatly appreciated as the tillerpilot would make my single-handed sailing a lot easier.

Please wear lifejackets!
  IP Logged
Heber
Seaman Apprentice

If I knew then!

Carlingford Ireland
Re: Autopilot
Reply #1 - 25.02.2012 at 12:27:58

This reply is very late.

In terms of single handed sailing an Autohelm is an essential piece of equipment.

Your question “how to keep the tiller in it’s lifted position”.   Literally on “Hawk Moon” the tiller is kept in place by the sheer tightness of the bolt and nut that goes through the fork at the end of the tiller and the Rudder Stock. I would prefer a more reliable system.  On one occasion I fluffed a tack and sat on the tiller causing the tiller height to drop.  The result of this was that the Autohelm would no longer connect and being on my own it meant that I had to helm until conditions improved and I realised that by sticking a fender under the tiller it would allow the Autohelm to stay connected.

Another reason for keeping the locking nut as tight as possible is that it prevents lateral play in the tiller and this assists the Autohelm in having a more positive input into the tiller. It also means that it does not have to work as hard.

When fitting an Autohelm, I use a Raymarine ST2000 which is great, it is very important to get your measurements correct.  This meant that I had to make a stainless steel upright to carry the “PIP” at the correct height and at the correct distance from the rudder stock, or at least the best I could.
See attached Photo.   You can see the fender jammed under the tiller.

I currently have a Jockey Wheel type set up under the tiller to try and prevent the tiller dropping again but you still need to keep the rudder stock bolt and nut very tight to prevent the lateral play in the tiller.

Regards, Heber

DSC02499_On_Tiller_Autohelm_support.JPG
Heber Heber   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print