Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shroud plate (Read 5248 times)
ptatham
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Shroud plate
04.12.2012 at 10:46:20

Noticed on FOOSTER when I purchased it that the port shroud plate was deforming the deck slightly, having sailed it pretty hard all season, it has not got worse, but would like some reassurance.

Early in the season I removed the plate and check the fastenings and holes in both the deck and plywood underneath, all seems ok.  I have sikkaflexed it in to prevent leaks.

I wonder if the damage occured when manually raising and lowering the mast?

Having looked at pictures on the Net of other TS240s, it seems that some have a S/Steel plate which runs out to the toerail?  Is this a modification owners have made?

Hope you can help out, cheers, Patrick

IP Logged
TSB240
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Shroud plate
Reply #1 - 10.12.2012 at 18:19:35

Ours has a plate that runs close to the toe rail and has extensions under the deck that are bolted to a web of fiberglass that is bonded to a stronger on the side of the hull. O. Sure Alan posted some pictures on another post of the same design. Tamsin is a late build model so it may have been a mod. I know that ateast one boat had its shroud plate pulled off the deck. Trying to remember which. I think it was Terry. It has since been modified to help distribute the stresses.

IP Logged
ptatham
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Reply #2 - 10.03.2015 at 15:39:16

If someone could post some photos that would be really useful...

I have extended the triangular bulkhead under the deck and glassed to the hull with another horizontal beam, plus beefed up the plates which attach to the bulkhead, but would very much appreciate the seeing the deck modification.

Thanks

Patrick
'Fooster'

« Last Edit: 10.03.2015 at 16:14:25 by ptatham »  
  IP Logged
TSB240
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 10.03.2015 at 17:14:35

Patrick

I inspected Rag Time Blues before buying Tamsin. It was raced very hard out of Liverpool and had a shroud plate failure leading to a new rig.
Terry now owns her based Canvey Island.
I seem to remember someone had added some nifty bottle screws and stays below decks  to add some bracing. Perhaps a message to Terry would give you some more info?

I noticed that when we were tensioned up correctly using a tension gauge that the bulkheads didn't squeek any more probably because the deck was lifted off the top of them!

I don't have a close up but you are right that on later models the shroud plate incorporates a long welded angle that runs parallel with the deck top towards the guard rail.

I seem to remember that on Tamsin there was an additional bolt added at the inboard end which went through to the underside of the deck with a large spreader washer underneath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print