Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Trapper Owner Association
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stern Gland Leaking..... (Read 1718 times)
stevej
Seaman Apprentice

Live  -
 Love  -
 Life

Hamble
Stern Gland Leaking.....
16.10.2014 at 20:44:39

Hi, I'm hoping some of you guys and girls that sail a trapper 400 / 28 might have some experience with the stern gland on these boats.  I've just purchased one 'Blue Mist' from 78 era.

First of all I should probably say hi to all of you trapper sailers as its my first real post on the site so howdi all.  

The boat has a leak on the stern gland its quite a bad drip.   Has anyone changed their stern gland for a fancy new type removing the need for packing or should i just re-pack the thing.   i dont suppose anyone would know what packing i might need to use i.e. thickness ??

oh and should i be concerned it doesn't look like there is anyway of greasing the gland, no greaser attached ??   maybe thats why its leaking, sorry for stupid questions only just bought this boat and its my / our first yacht.  we do love it even though its needy....  that is describing the boat not me I hope !

cheers, Smiley  Steve

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Re: Stern Gland Leaking.....
Reply #1 - 27.12.2014 at 17:19:37

Steve: did you  get  this sorted? Where is the boat moored?

IP Logged
stevej
Seaman Apprentice

Live  -
 Love  -
 Life

Hamble
Reply #2 - 29.12.2014 at 18:38:30

Hi John, no I've not attempted to repack the stern gland yet or fit the greaser still waiting to dry the boat out against a wall.
Boat is located on the Hamble.
The stern gland still leaks but it's managable with an auto bilge pump.  
Cheers
Steve

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #3 - 30.12.2014 at 08:38:46

Steve

Given that a leaking stern gland can be a bit serious I would be tempted to get this checked out. I would certainly recommend Marine Power, up at Deacons Boatyard. If the boat needs to be lifted to sort out take it on the chin. That is better than finding the boat going glug glug if the battery goes flat. ............John

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print