Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Trapper Owner Association
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Refurb of newly purchased 300 (Read 17147 times)
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Refurb of newly purchased 300
26.02.2015 at 20:34:10

Hi Guys,

Just recently bought 'Carpe Diem' and transported her from Chatham to Dalgety Bay unfortunately during the January storms(plenty of new white hairs now). Have started to overhaul some of the systems-control panel and wiring for engine rotted, engine serviced (never by the looks,gear box cooling bypassed!!!) warning sensors for oil and temp broken and having heart attack at Volvo Penta prices for parts (MD5B engine)checking carpart wholesellers for compatible parts so have a lot to do as well as replacing standing rigging and general tidy up and improvements.
Can't sail, first boat but I'm looking forward to getting her shipshape and hopefully having many years fun in her.
Look forward to talking with you all at some point and if anyone has any tips or advice then all the better. Cheesy

IP Logged
Poll
Boatswain Mate

Love the water !

Re: Refurb of newly purchased 300
Reply #1 - 26.02.2015 at 21:15:44

Hi and welcome! I'm a noob too and have had lots of great advice from the more experienced members on the board, have a read around as it gives you great insight in to the '300.  Smiley

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #2 - 03.03.2015 at 12:50:43

Thanks Poll,

A question for the 300 owners out there.
I am tidying up the boat wiring but the 'liner' between the roof and internal walls just seems to be lino screwed to the wall. What do other owners have fitted as I am looking to hide the wiring better than present, thinking about industrial trunking with the mains sockets fitted as one idea though will need to glue wood mounts behind it to hull for screwing onto.
Any ideas or solutions would be much appreciated
Smiley

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #3 - 03.03.2015 at 18:31:34

Hi
I too am refurbing a 300 I bought last summer.  Very surprised by your comment about lino as the 300 came with a GRP internal lining with ply wood strips at joins such as deck hull join.

Google images of trapper 300 and you'll see these mouldings.

There were two different intenal layouts: Mark 1 and Mark 2.  Mark 2 has fixed dedicated chart table and galley down port side whereas Mark 1 had galley on starboard near companionway and no chart table.

Both however had grp moulded liners.

Justin

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #4 - 04.03.2015 at 13:48:36

Thanks Justin,

It's a Mk2 interior, I have seen some photos  of other 300s, as you say with the plywood strips, but at some point someone removed these and replaced them with what appears to be 'lino' strips, one edge glued to the roof and then the bottom edge screwed into the side lining - not the best finish and one I certainly will be upgrading during the refurb along with tidying up the wiring and cables behind.
Considering electrical dado/skirting trunking as I can hide wires internally fit sockets to the front face and access wiring easily for repairs/upgrades slightly more expensive but a better solution than what's fitted.
Would be interested to hear any other thoughts on this.

Stevie     Cheesy

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #5 - 04.03.2015 at 16:47:57

Have looked through historic emails on this site and have found  an email (Page 3) regarding the same query. Looks like some 300s were fitted with this plastic strip which with time hardens/cracks or the holes for the screws enlarge and it no longer stays put!

Grin

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #6 - 24.03.2015 at 19:40:16

Hi Folks,

Just an update of how things are progressing. Have rebuilt my control panel with new warning lights, starter button and buzzer, wiring loom and oil and temp switches all sourced on line or from local motor factors (the most complicated job was cross referencing the temp switch for an identical one which was 1/7th the cost of a replacement from volvo!!) Overall cost was a fraction of Volvo wholesellers.
I will be fitting this in the next few weeks. I am also replacing the 12 volt boat wiring as it's been added to over the years with domestic twin and earth and connector strip, a right mess.
Will get there in the end but for now lots of work still to do, oh the joys haha
Shocked Shocked

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #7 - 29.03.2015 at 02:36:59

How do you download pics to here and has anyone used iroko instead of teak and your opinions please?
Smiley

IP Logged
Nick
Forum Administrator

A bear of little
brain

Dorset
Reply #8 - 29.03.2015 at 06:57:23

there is a section in the top of each board that has thnreads that always remain on top. The one that says tips on using the forum explains how to do pictures.

you don't upload them, you embed a link . You need a place to store your pics like photobucket or picasa or one of the newer competitors.

take note of the size requirements.

Nick

« Last Edit: 29.03.2015 at 06:58:03 by Nick »  

Nick
WWW   IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #9 - 18.04.2015 at 14:40:15

Hi Folks,

Will have to get photos of refurb posted to show works undertaken.
Rewiring going well have taken out a bin bag worth of electrical cable that was redundant or useless. Going to scrappies with it, should have enough scrap for a pint haha.
Is it possible to get spares for the surrounds around the windows as one of mine is cracked, if not will have to repair with epoxy.
Teak on transom is split near end, nothing major but I would like to replace with Iroko, is this more trouble than it's worth? Teak prices would mean a remortgage haha.
Trying to source gasket kits online  for around engine starter panel and nasa instruments in cockpit, jeezo who would have thought rubber would cost so much.
In cabin the rear of the instruments in cockpit were boxed in with ply and painted to match interior, these were horrible and ugly, are there alternatives out there or is it a case of making your own, was thinking of 5mm ply to curve over two semi circle side walls to blend into bulkhead, if that makes sense.
With regards to mooring our club has swing moorings though we buy the weights I know it's all about friction on the seabed and chain weight etc but would a 500kg train wheel be sufficient for the boat?
Trapper specs say boat weight is about 2000kg is this accurate, plus weight of accessories onboard?
Don't think I'll get it wet this year as have lots to do on a budget but I want to get all this work done now and then it's just a matter of general maintenance to keep it all tip top (I hope haha).
Was never this busy when I was in RN!!
Look forward to any hints or tips.
TTFN Smiley

IP Logged
Stephen Green
Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 19.04.2015 at 09:07:36

Re moorings, here's what our moorings officer says, 500kg looks right
http://www.ccsc.org.uk/move/moorings.pdf

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #11 - 09.05.2015 at 21:07:27

Hi Folks,

This may be a silly question BUT on Mk 2 Trappers above the oven/cooker there is a vent/cowl to ventilate the cabin.
The cowl on the roof can be turned  to suit the weather/seas I imagine, but there is no diaphragm or seal in my one to stop any water ingress in severe weathers.
The reason I  ask is because I turned up to the boat this weekend after winter weather this week, in MAY, and had about 3 inches of water above the cabin deck, there was a tell tale drip for the vent which was facing west could this allowed so much water into the cabin? Our weather was atrocious but what about the weather at sea.
Your thoughts and experience will be much valued.
The boat is also on a trailer and has not had her bottom wet cos of all the remedial work.

Regards,

Stevie Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #12 - 10.05.2015 at 09:06:46

Hello  Stevie
My T300 is a mk1 with a different layout & no ventilator above the cooker.
From memory of seeing Mk 2's what you have is a Dorade type vent but without a baffle. I am sure I recollect seeing a Mk 2 with a blanking plug replacing the vent when conditions dictate.
When you refer to the cabin deck I assume you are referring to the cabin sole, ie where your feet are when down below? 3" of rain is quite a lot.
My MK 1 has a ventilator above the heads which can be left open when moored with no risk of water ingress. Does your Mk 2 have this fitting also?
John

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #13 - 11.05.2015 at 11:32:44

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply, will have to look into getting a ventilator with a baffle have turned the hood to Port was astern but as boat lies West to East the very heavy rains we had last week along with the driving wind must have directed the rain into the hood.
The sole had 3 inches above it, took me near 2 hours and about twenty buckets to empty out and dry the bilge, needless to say that I never got much refurb carried out on Saturday. Bilge pump electrics were disconnected with refurbing the 12 volt panel and wiring. Typical!!
There must have been some weight of water in the boat, luckily my trailer has been modified with heavy duty supports and is rated at 3.5 tons.
There is a vent above the heads will need to check what type and that it functions. Just seems to be a plastic flat-mushroom type fitting?
I see there are vents on the market that are sprung to open normally but close if hit by a wave/water.
In heavy seas having a vent that is completely open would certainly be cause for concern, wouldn't want the boat to turn into a submarine haha.
Still trying to get the link to work for posting photos, will get there eventually and will post some before and after pics.

Stevie.  Cheesy

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #14 - 27.05.2015 at 13:46:44

Don't wish to cause divisions with this question but what's the best caulk/mastic/sealant to use on the windows?
Will need to remove port side, clean and reseal as it has slight leak, should I do other at same time in case it leaks later or is it case of 'if it ain't broke...'
Rewire nearly finished,   thought I had it completed but now plan to run a cable from satnav to vhf radio as it is DIS compatible and it will keep wiring neat and tidy.
Not having much luck uploading pics but will try another program.

Stevie  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print