Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Trapper Owner Association
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Refurb of newly purchased 300 (Read 17140 times)
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Re: Refurb of newly purchased 300
Reply #105 - 28.06.2017 at 12:10:55

Thanks guys,

Really can't decide what to do for the best.
I like the multi gland though you still have a number of individual holes drilled through the deck and then the same again in the roof lining though obviously these can be hidden if you install a junction box on roof lining or has anyone fitted a multi gland internally to hide the holes?, it's more to do with aesthetics and also making sure its 100% watertight.
My thoughts on the swan neck are -  one hole, albeit 35mm diameter, but all the cable/connectors can be passed through it together without having to undo connectors/plugs made of to ends
Problems can be trip hazard if working at mast or jib/sheets fouling on pipe.
Some people have not sealed them and have had water coming through in rough weather but a foam wedge fitted inside would help with water ingress.
Both are priced at around £35

Decisions, decisions...

Stevie
Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #106 - 30.06.2017 at 14:45:10

Hi
I fitted a multiplied 3 years ago. Leaked like a sieve so removed it. Epoxied hole having removed any rot.. Then drilled 3 oversized holes. Then epoxy filled them. Then drill 3 small holes. Fitted 3 individual cheap circular glands with siva flex. No issues this season dispute some heavy weather sailing like the Lundy Race.
I hope this is useful.
Justin

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #107 - 02.07.2017 at 11:03:00

Thanks for all the posts guys will let you know in due time what I decided to fit.

Andy, need a little information please?

Rewiring mast and was unable to draw through new wires/draw wires as old wires snagged and snapped etc.
Might have to replace the conduit like you did on your post last year.
Question - is the conduit in two individual lengths? From the foot of the mast to just above spreaders conduit is riveted portside near the front but after the spreaders it is fitted portside middle of mast so does the conduit have an offset or is it two lengths?
Trying to feel if there's and entry/exit in the conduit where the deck light fitting is located will only remove old conduit if all else fails.
See the pics below -  the amount of self tappers fitted, especially the two located at the conduit, is unbelievable.
Have removed the sheaves, corrosion not too bad behind fittings, will re-secure with machine screws, re tapping holes if need be probably fit a gasket between sheaves and mast as well as well as smearing with duralac.
You can see a bird has tried to build a nest inside so will remove all the gunk and clean up.
The mast lay across the deck until I got it lifted down to the ground as I was working around the bow roller I noticed slight movement when standing on it so took a pic inside locker, which I'm still working on.
The machine screws have no washers or nuts securing the bow roller!!!!
Probably would have lost it when mooring the boat next year what were the builders thinking!!!
You can also see the original cable for the bow light trapped beneath the backing plate for the guard rails!!!
Anyways any more advice you can give will be much appreciated will also be studying your old post.

Why cant people blunt the end if using self tappers?

One or two screws are seized but once removed off with the foot!

The three deck screws are already removed but the ones through the hull have no washers or nuts as well!!!!

Stevie

Smiley

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #108 - 02.07.2017 at 15:12:13

H Stevie
Interesting pics. No two T300 masts seem the same so cannot add much - my halyards all internal & never had to replace any wiring.

Re the bow locker pic - ouch! From memory the forestay chain plate is bolted via the deck to that rusty plate, the latter being sandwiched between hull & deck at the toe rail. I would be checking the integrity of that rusty plate. During major work on Star Trapper some 15 years ago opportunity was taken to replace with stainless steel.

John

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #109 - 02.07.2017 at 20:42:24

Hi John,

Will remove the old back-plate, fashion a new one and fit. Really awkward to work in the locker space, was lying on my back with head upside down working on the nuts and bolts just so I could see them.
Body felt it had been battered the next day lol.
Once reinforcing and bow roller completed then I will be really confident nothing will happen when on swing mooring

Stevie

Roll Eyes

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #110 - 05.07.2017 at 20:34:47

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update, got my gooseneck back from the welders and they've done a crackin' job.
I've just finished filing it to shape and then polished it with grinding paste and emery cloth to remove the old pitted marks.
Will drill the holes once I've made the toggle.
Originally gave it to a machine shop but after two weeks I contacted them to ask how things were going, they decided that they would need to mill a brand new gooseneck rather than repair and the cost was an arm, leg and kidney - needless to say collected it and found a welder with great reviews and got it back the next day for cost of £30.

Here's the before and after pics

Racing last Friday, wind stopped on 2nd lap of course and we managed to drift home about 40 mins after we would have finished, seals gave us a nudge lol

Stevie

Grin

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #111 - 08.07.2017 at 21:14:25

Hi Guys,

Mast rewired a doodle, foot, head and mid mast all ok, wiring rods make it easy but then again I am a sparky lol.

Backing plate was a real pain to remove but it came in the end, my mates a fabricator and will make new backing plate in SS for a case of beers.

Here's some pics...

PS Weather was scorchio today.

Foot of mast...

Mid mast fitting...

Nylon pull through installed, minus self tappers...

Old backing plate removed...

Backing washers and new nylocs fitted for pullpit notice how far right bolt is just through and no more because of thickness differences in deck!!!
Once I'm finished refurb there will be no more imperial/metric mix of fittings all will be metric!!!!

Stevie

Cheesy

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #112 - 10.07.2017 at 21:32:59

Stevie

Apologies for my late reply, looks like you're doing just fine without me. That goose neck looks like a good job!!

My mast conduit was 1 piece all the way up but like John said, no 2 are the same. Feels like ages ago i was going through all this.. its all worth it once its done and you have confidence in your rig.

Those self tappers in the mast should be replaced with monel rivets where possible.

If i can help in any way let me know but looks like you're going through the same processes i went through and dealing with it well.

Andy

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #113 - 20.07.2017 at 21:55:12

Thanks Andy,

Mast refurb coming along great, Nasa Clipper Mast head unit returned today all repaired and for only a few pounds plus quick turnaround, great service.
Fitting rubber gaskets behind turning blocks, tapping new holes for machine screws and coating in Duralac, corrosion is only light surface pitting. Removing all self tappers, will replace sheaves, clevis pins and blocks while at it.

Right Folks, your tips for cleaning up the aluminium mast please.... just general stains and dull finish to try and clean up?

Keep you posted as always,

Steve

Smiley

IP Logged
Duke
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Glasgow
Reply #114 - 26.07.2017 at 19:49:54

Looking for any sails for my trapper 300 that I'm doing up ...any help given will be very much appreciated  Smiley

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #115 - 06.08.2017 at 11:16:49

Here's the latest mast refurb pics:

Gaskets fitted between mast and fittings and smeared in Duralac

Aluminium rivets used to fill up redundant holes in mast

4 monel rivets failed mandrel fell through the body into mast when I started to compress the rivets, have contacted the company to look for replacements as I on bought enough for the job plus 2 spare so will complete next week

Fitting Nasa Supernova to masthead when it arrives.

Nearly done

Stevie

Smiley

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #116 - 13.09.2017 at 17:51:55

Hi Folks,

Fabricated Spreader end caps as one was missing and other was chewed up a bit.
Mate is still to fabricate backing plate for forestay.
Mast refurb nearly complete hopefully will step it in the next couple of weeks.
Hope all is well?

Stevie

Grin

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #117 - 17.09.2017 at 16:00:51

Hi Folks,

Mate cut SS backing plates for forestay, fitted yesterday and finished the anchor locker Upvc liner just need to seal top edge with silicone.

See pics below:

Maybe give the locker a coat of bilge paint before weather turns cold we'll see how time goes and fit seal around edge of locker.

Stevie

Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print