Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Trapper Owner Association
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Refurb of newly purchased 300 (Read 22557 times)
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Re: Refurb of newly purchased 300
Reply #15 - 28.05.2015 at 16:40:37

Hi guys
here are some photos of carpe diem prior and during refurbishment
http://imgur.com/a/K3Tsc

Stevie  Grin

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #16 - 29.05.2015 at 11:06:47

Very impressive Stevie - well done on all the work.............John

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #17 - 01.06.2015 at 06:54:35

Thanks John will add more pics as work progresses, one question though -  I have to patch the holes in the head lining where the old lights were fitted. Which would be more suitable for the work fiberglass and resin or epoxy?
I would need to thicken the fiberglass with cabosil for working above and could be messy or 'back' the holes and fill with epoxy.
Was working on the domestic fuse panel and wiring this weekend. No sleeving on any of the earthing in the panel or sockets had to replace the fusepanel entirely as there were that many knockouts removed you could have stuck your fist in the sides of the panel!
12 volt system should be back together this weekend if I can get up the to boat as its SWMBO birthday and think she would be rather annoyed if I went to the boat instead haha.

Stevie Cheesy

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #18 - 01.06.2015 at 16:39:31

Hi Stevie - sorry no experience on this. My headlining is a pale cream GRP moulding. When I have replaced interior lights I have positioned them over the original holes..............John

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #19 - 01.06.2015 at 17:50:20

Hi
I got from ebay one inch diameter white plastic hole plugs.

They took almost 2 months to arrive from the far east but do the job of filling previous and new holes very well.  The old holes may need to be enlarged slightly to one inch thought with a file.

They have done an excellent job as I've fitted new deck clutches and a main sheet traveller so have needed to plug new holes.  A one inch hole cutter attachment to the drill is a must.

Good luck.

Incidentally I don't seem to be able to get you photo link to work!

Justin

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #20 - 01.06.2015 at 18:21:56

Re " Incidentally I don't seem to be able to get you photo link to work",
I had to copy & paste into a new window.

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #21 - 01.06.2015 at 19:50:58

Hi John,

You're right about viewing the pics, you need to copy and paste onto a new tab to go directly to the site, had lots of bother trying to link pics onto forum posts, my daughter's a whizz on these things and this was the only way we could do this.
Saw the plugs on lots of sites, will get some to cap some holes as having access to the wiring runs in future will be easier though want to seal  most of the old holes and screw holes.
There are some great videos online of people carrying out repairs on GRP hulls though most don't show you how to work overhead but mention thickening the GRP resin to a 'peanut butter' thickness before pressing in the matting, maybe thought epoxy would be easier to apply?
Weather has turned for the worst just now so will have to get the port window sealed when I can get a few dry days, fix the holes and then give the interior a lick of paint and varnish the woodwork, gonna get the missus a sander for her birthday haha.
Will post more pics soon.

Stevie Smiley

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #22 - 01.06.2015 at 20:14:50

http://imgur.com/a/a76Cf

Here's a link to photo album so far just copy and paste to a new tab.

Stevie Cheesy

« Last Edit: 02.06.2015 at 21:49:21 by Terry »  
  IP Logged
Nick
Forum Administrator

A bear of little
brain

Dorset
Reply #23 - 01.06.2015 at 22:59:36

I've looked at your photo site and I am not sure it is compatible with having them on here. You need the url of the individual pho not the album to embed the picture into a thread. When I right clicked on your pics I was not able to open just that one pic in a new tab so could not identify the url for that pic. Perhaps as the owner of the pics you can do that. If you can just click on the picture icon in the posting box and insert the url inbetween the code.

Nick
WWW   IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #24 - 11.06.2015 at 18:10:10

[img][/img]

Hi Guys,

Here's the 12 volt wiring replaced and tagged with an ID label with a couple of spare runs for future use.
At the bottom of the opening you can see the Neutral bar as all there was before was 5 amp connector strip.

Stevie  Smiley

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #25 - 11.06.2015 at 18:14:51

[][/img]

Here's the fuse panels mounted, all I need to do is renew the circuit labels on the two panels, the mount is painted matt white and will be glossed when I repaint the cabin interior in the next few months.
Another job crossed off the list!

Stevie   Cheesy

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #26 - 06.07.2015 at 14:49:47

Hi Folks,

Was up at the boat yesterday and was reinstalling space heater in engine compartment so had to isolate 230 volt fuse panel.
As I would have to climb down ladder and switch off at power 'dalek' I took the lazy option and unplugged the cable as there is a connection in my cockpit locker.
The picture is what I found.....

Previous owners? made extension with MALE Connector at service end when it should be a FEMALE connector, pins are live and ready to give a nasty bite to fingers...

Any ways rectified problem but that's one of the reasons why I'm taking everything to bits to check (or is that signs of paranoia haha).

Stevie.  Shocked

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #27 - 07.07.2015 at 15:43:54

Hi Folks,

Has anyone replaced the thermostat in a Volvo Penta MD5 engine?
There are solid copper/brass pipes that are connected to the engine block are these pressed in, do they pull out, require seals etc? Not a lot of help online about replacing thermo.
Any info much appreciated.

Stevie  Smiley

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #28 - 03.10.2015 at 14:10:25

Hi Folks,

Been a while since last post, working hard on Carpe Diem I am replacing the rotten wood around the portlights before resealing the perspex. Cut out all the old wood, shaped the replacement and bonded it to GRP with epoxy and clamped for a week before undoing clamps. So far so good

Cheesy

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #29 - 23.10.2015 at 20:03:52

Hi folks,

The wooden insert around the st'board portlight has bonded a treat. Will probably leave it until spring to seal portlight as the temp here is dropping so may not cure properly, have a tarpaulin over entire boat so very water tight.
I'm sanding down all the repairs to old holes, chips etc inside the cabin, also keying the paintwork to repaint in the spring.
Maybe will tackle gas system (see other post) and also plan to redo standing rigging with my mast down, over winter, plus all electrics and cables in the mast itself.
Now the boats wind and watertight I can sit inside with an electric heater, run off the 230 volt system, listen to the radio and plod away doing bits and bobs - good way to decompress from all the weeks stresses.
Compiling a list for Santa for the boat so hopefully if I've been good I'll get some things for Carpe Diem.
Will add some more pics as things progress.
Most of my club have their boats out for winter and a few are tackling the wee jobs required as I'm sure most of you will be undertaking very soon. Enjoy your ships husbandry.

Stevie Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print