Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Trapper Owner Association
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Refurb of newly purchased 300 (Read 20107 times)
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Re: Refurb of newly purchased 300
Reply #90 - 12.03.2017 at 20:59:26

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice.
I have emailed the people you have mentioned plus many more found online so hopefully will get a hit?
The main body is called the gooseneck slider and the hinge part is called a toggle.
There is a company called RigRite that has many types of sliders and toggles to fit your requirements.
I have also seen some toggles which is just a solid round bar with the two holes drilled at right angles to each other at opposite ends so the shape isn't critical just length and thickness of toggle.
Should have no problem having one made in a local CNC shop.
Might replace the slider too as it's showing wear in the bottom hinge and hole.
Was fearing the worst and thought I wouldn't get a replacement but it's looking like I will, just a case of how much for?
Will keep you updated.

Stevie

Cheesy

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #91 - 17.03.2017 at 13:39:13

Hi Guys,

I'm in contact with Alladins cave and Allspars so hopefully they can help.

I'm now after the slider gooseneck and mine is worn quite badly.
Got some ali square bar to machine the toggle so can do that myself.

Here'e a question:

https://marinestore.co.uk/Barton_Genoa_Slide_For__T__Track_25_mm.html
(Copy and paste to browser)

Would this work if I removed the loop and fitted a S/S 'C' bracket drilled to take a drop pin for the toggle.
It has a SWL of 1400kg (hopefully this is the slider fitting itself) would this be able to handle the boom loading?

Stevie

Huh

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #92 - 18.03.2017 at 12:01:19

Why not covert to a fixed gooseneck and use a cunningham instead of sliding the whole boom down?

Just a thought.  Very few yachts use a sliding gooseneck.

My Trapper 300 which was practically the last built has a fixed gooseneck and I use a cunningham to flatten the luff.  There's a lot less friction with a cunningham.

I've also dispensed with the cow horns and have rings to guide the dual rope reefing lines to upstand blocks and deck organisers to jammers on the coachroof that can be used from the cockpit.

So other than taking down the main, I seldom need to go forward other than to set the spinnaker pole.

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #93 - 18.03.2017 at 16:26:05

Hi Stevie

I'm with Justin, keep it simple.
How often would you realistically adjust the boom at sea?
I've sailed a lot of miles on all sorts of boats and never adjusted the boom position with a sliding goose neck once.

Cheers

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #94 - 18.03.2017 at 21:41:27

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments and advice.
One of my problems is that this is all new to me i.e. sailing a yacht, normally I turn a key and go but I have always had a love of sail, anyways.....
My reasons (right or wrong) is that's the way the mast was designed so it worked before etc.
It may not be efficient for racing but I wont be racing in my own yacht until I feel competent and that may take some time lol.
(Don't mind crewing for more experienced skippers, can learn a lot)
As I've said before in threads, it's worrying the number of redundant holes in the mast that are open to the elements that must be compromising the strength in some way, so I don't want to be adding anymore if not necessary, in fact in time I want to seal them all with ali rod.
By the way there's a black band on the mast at the boom track and I read somewhere that the foot of the sail/boom had to be set at this height when racing cos of rules in the 'old days' - something like that?
Can any of our 'experienced' members of the forum explain for the novices?

Hope the preseasons works are progressing well for all.

Stevie

Cheesy

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #95 - 19.03.2017 at 11:18:04

Most yachts don't have a sliding gooseneck but a fixed one.  The black band shows the lowest point that the main sail tack should be positioned so that the sail area isn't oversized for the class rules.  There is usually a mark at the head on the mast above which the head shouldn't be raised.

I'd still get rid of the sliding gooseneck and install a fixed gooseneck.  It'd be stronger and simpler.  Using a sliding gooseneck means that the kicker and sheet needs to be adjusted as well as the slider to take up any excessive slack in the luff as the wind increases.  Simply tigytening the halyard or cunningham doesn't require the kicker or sheet to be adjusted and puts less strain on the mast.

As for the holes in your mast, are they corroded?  If not I wouldn't worry about them.  If you don't like them being left open you could put rivets in using plenty of anticorrion paste but they are probably ok just left.  Failures usually I believe result from the standing rigging not being changed at a 10-12 year interval; stress cracks in the tangs at the top of the strounds if these aren't replaced with the wire shrouds and the gooseneck itself failing due to an involuntary and violent gybe.  To prevent the latter I have preventers rigged permanently which double up as barbarhaulers for use on the spinnaker sheets to make them into guys.

I hope this makes sense.

If you are new to sailing there is even more reason to convert to a fixed gooseneck.  With a sliding gooseneck the loads and friction are at their greatest when you want it to slide most and therefore increases the difficulty of making the adjustment and the likelihood of it jamming.  Most cruisers don't bother with a cunningham and simply tighten the halyard.  However if your mainsail is stretched being able to pull down the tack is useful otherwise the sail becomes far too baggy and causes you to lean and produces excessive leeway.

On Harlequin when I bought a new mainsail to replace the old baggy one her speed increased by over 1.5 knots as the slot worked and the excessive heal disappeared with the flat sail so that instead on doing 3.5 knots beating I was able to do up to 5.8 knots.

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #96 - 19.03.2017 at 12:46:51

Paul I agree with you : "I'm with Justin, keep it simple"..........John
PS visited Deacons office yesterday to meet Rachael Foster the new 'dry side' D&R marina manager. Nick Gill remains as 'wet side' manager.

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #97 - 19.03.2017 at 20:16:52

Stevie, if you are new to sailing, I would recommend a dinghy sailing course that will give you a good grounding in the basics of sailing. Follow this by the RYA day skipper theory and practical and a VHF course / first aid course and you will be a lot safer than most on the water.

John, I popped into the office to get an electric top up and was served by a very pleasant young lady. I guess that was her? I did wonder why the office was full! Had a few jobs in the go, so didn't linger

Cheers

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #98 - 19.03.2017 at 21:30:34

Stevie: spot on advice from Paul.
On the boat front I recommend an RNLI Sea Check session - totally free. A non judgemental advice session to ensure boat up to scratch safety wise. Either contact nearest RNLI station or Poole HQ. Used to do these myself but now retired.............John

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #99 - 21.03.2017 at 17:13:23

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice will give the gooseneck mod some serious thought.
As for the training courses, plan to do a few over the next few seasons, luckily our club is a recognised RYA training centre so we run these courses, need the VHF first for my licence.
We also have an RNLI station in South Queensferry so I will ask them to give 'Carpe' a once over when I get her in the water and happily give a donation to their organisation.
Glacier is reforming as I type, brrrrr bloody snow...

Stevie

Huh

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #100 - 18.06.2017 at 17:36:49

Hi Guys,

Been a while since last post hope all is well with everyone?

Here's a few more pics regarding 'Carpe's' refurb.

Old cooler was converted by previous owners for two leisure batteries by chopping out bottom of locker so the batteries could sit but didn't really have them secured very well so tidied up the cutout, built a box for the batteries and fitted straps,
Bolted through 3 sides so should be a lot more secure.
Gooseneck slider is getting tig/mig welded at a fabricators, basically they're in filling and reforming the worm aluminium hinges reshaping and drilling new holes so will be as good as new when done.
Insides just about completed making new locker lids and then start on anchor locker and mast then restep and that should be it, maybe a lick of deck paint and a good scrub.

Corner cut out from box as thickness of the box bottom didn't allow it to lie flush as it's on the hull

Happy sailing folks,

Stevie.
Cheesy

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #101 - 19.06.2017 at 09:14:37

For comparison this is what we did on Harlequin for a second battery installation.  Box is oversized so that we can upgrade to a 110 battery in the future.

https://goo.gl/photos/RPrM1Gnr8Pq1rMzT9

Justin

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #102 - 24.06.2017 at 21:32:02

Hi Folks,

Was tackling the anchor locker today.
Usual Trapper build - the inner lining had a 2/3" gap short of the deck.
Previous owners have tried to seal it with a layer of grp cloth but as it was never sealed or built up, it just 'rotted' over the years to become brittle and damaged.
Ripped it out, cleaned up lining, fitted well nuts and secured my upvc lining which fits perfectly against the hull /deck inner edge.
Will remove next week and run a bead along the lining and edge and refit the upvc, will paint the locker with some bilge paint later.
Tightened up the toerail bolts and fitted lock nuts while I could access the locker area

A question before I sign off.

I had 3 deck glands for the mast wiring that I removed and filled in the holes as the glands were old and leaked.
Can't decide whether to fit a multi gland that can take all the cables making it neater or fit a swan neck cable entry tube so all cables and plugs are able to be passed through the tube with having to remove connectors etc if unstepping mast.
What are your thoughts?

Stevie
Huh

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #103 - 25.06.2017 at 10:42:35

Hi Steve - re deck glands etc:
ST has glands for mast lights. All sealed with self amalgamating tape & no problem (so far!)
Radar connected via terminal box in forepeak
VHF coax direct from mast top to radio - never  had better reception.
Does mean un stepping mast a potential issue. When standing rigging replaced done in situ - Aladdins Cave. They used mast of boat alongside to access.
John

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #104 - 27.06.2017 at 21:08:37

Looks like you're making good progress, heres a picture of my deck gland for you...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print