Pompeydave
Seaman Apprentice

I can't help
laughing, I know
what's coming next..

Portsmouth
Another new owner
01.03.2015 at 20:35:38

Hi all, I've just bought 'Nidri', hull number 007 from Giles at Dell Quay, near Chichester. I'll be cleaning her up and moving her to a drying pontoon berth opposite the ECA in Langstone Harbour. She'll be renamed when I get around to it, something Bond related probably given the hull number  Grin.

I'm new to sailing but have 40 years experience of motor boats. Thought it was about time I tried a yacht!  

IP Logged
Paul
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Another new owner
Reply #1 - 02.03.2015 at 10:29:27

Hi Dave,
Welcome to the forum. You obviously have plenty of experiece to give Nidri the tlc she deserves and there is a wealth of knowlege available here if you require it.!
I shall miss Nidri as she had been parked next to Nautibuoy on the Quay for the last couple of winters.
You wont be disappointed in your new purchase as the TS240 is great fun!
Wishing you good sailing,
Paul

IP Logged
Pompeydave
Seaman Apprentice

I can't help
laughing, I know
what's coming next..

Portsmouth
Reply #2 - 02.03.2015 at 22:22:20

Hi Paul, I'll be down at Dell Quay for 7:30 on the 21st. I assume you'll be there too? If so, could you run through the rigging with me if we have time please? I'm happy to help raise the mast on yours and generally help out wherever I can in return.

I've had a good look over her now, and she needs a little bit of gelcoat work where there are a couple of minor dings, and a couple of areas of minor star crazing that need removing and re-gelling. I got the outboard off today for a service, and will take the sails home to launder them in the next week or so. I'm going to sand down the antifoul and reapply some fresh Seago, and polish the hull. The coachroof and decking will have to wait until I get her over to Langstone, but she will look pristine again quite soon.

My only other problem is how on earth I'm going to antifoul the areas where it's sitting on the trailer. I can only think of jacking her up by a few inches and trying to get a roller in there- precarious I know. Any idea how I could do it more easily? How did Giles do it?

IP Logged
Paul
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 03.03.2015 at 09:43:29

hi Dave,
The patches not antifouled  are small on Nautibuoy so we generally just scrub off when lifted onto beach ( hull can be leaned over each way on shingle. You can apply antifoul but usually, if lifted off quay, we tend to be one of the last  so time to get mast up etc is limited and we usually don't have time to apply a/f in time for it to dry before tide comes in.
If you have arranged lift in with crane then you will need mast removed on Saturday. We store overnight on quay.
If you were planning to float off the trailer it will be very congested and access once crane arrives not possible.
Happy to assist with rigging/mast - we all muck in at DQ!!!

Paul

IP Logged
Paul
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 03.03.2015 at 09:45:56

Sorry Dave meant Friday /Saturday as lift in Saturday!
Paul

IP Logged
TSB240
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 03.03.2015 at 18:26:23

If either of you are interested and ever  up in the North West there is a very good yard cradle for a TS240 going begging. The cradle is on large castor wheels that allows the keel to be fully lowered and a complete antifoul of the hull using acro props and additional hull supports  to support the boat off the normal storage pads.

Dismantles down to fit on a small trailer.

It would also be ideal for anybody needing to do any serious keel maintenance or Fabricated top box replacement.

Steve

IP Logged
Pompeydave
Seaman Apprentice

I can't help
laughing, I know
what's coming next..

Portsmouth
Reply #6 - 04.03.2015 at 12:56:45

I understand that Giles' original ebay advert that he's arranged for Nidri to go in with the others on Sat 21st, so I'm assuming she'll be craned in.

Paul, is removing the mast to stow on the ground a two man job, or can it be tackled alone? If it's a two man effort, then I could meet you down there on the Friday and we could do them both at the same time? I'm on 07710 792 891 if that helps.

Steve, the cradle sounds like a good idea- don't suppose you have any pics of it? I'm up in the North West quite often with work, so might be able to pick it up without too much bother. What's being asked for it by the way?

« Last Edit: 04.03.2015 at 13:08:44 by Pompeydave »  
  IP Logged
Paul
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 04.03.2015 at 19:37:34

Hi Dave,
Mast can be carried by two but more easier. Plenty to help Friday.
Looks like you will have crane lift so no problems with help.

Steve's cradle would be very useful
.I dont hsve any journeys to NW these days but if you take it on then you could probably hire it out to those needing a keel refurb.

Only thing to watch is side wind loads in exposed location as its bound to stand tall but I'm sure Steve engineered it well!
cheers
Paul

IP Logged
TSB240
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 08.03.2015 at 13:45:58

Will post pictures of cradle when back home. I have found a back up of all my old pictures!

IP Logged
Pompeydave
Seaman Apprentice

I can't help
laughing, I know
what's coming next..

Portsmouth
Reply #9 - 09.03.2015 at 17:23:08

Ok, cheers Steve. Paul, I can get down there from about 1pm on the Friday- are there likely to be a few people down there at that time?

IP Logged
TSB240
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 09.03.2015 at 18:29:01

Well here are some links to some cradle pictures ...

I have tried uploading them as images but they come out way too large. Try pressing CTRL and - a few times and you get the whole picture! CTRL and + to return to normal size!

« Last Edit: 09.03.2015 at 18:45:44 by TSB240 »  
  IP Logged
Pompeydave
Seaman Apprentice

I can't help
laughing, I know
what's coming next..

Portsmouth
Reply #11 - 10.03.2015 at 23:36:35

Thanks for the pics Steve. Having looked at it, I think the cradle is going to be too big for me to transport back down south. I've got too much on my plate to organise transport, but if you still have it later this year, I might be interested, and if so I'll come back to you. Thanks again.

IP Logged
Jonathan
Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Bromley
Reply #12 - 14.03.2015 at 17:11:32

Hi Dave,

Another welcolme to the forum to you and other new owners. It's really great to see activity on the TS240 board after a quiet period.

IP Logged
Pompeydave
Seaman Apprentice

I can't help
laughing, I know
what's coming next..

Portsmouth
Reply #13 - 22.03.2015 at 19:41:26

Well, hull number 007 is back in the water, but it was a tricky day for all concerned. North Easterly winds of up to 20mph and we were all dropped down on the North side of the quay. Come high water there were a few hairy moments as we tried to move off to moorings with masts on the coachroof, or in my case to the nearby overnight pontoon.

I managed to lose my masthead wind speed indicator when it had a coming together with a Jaguar 22 roller jib. The bearing was all over the place anyway, so not really a problem.

We got Paul's mast up first, so that I could see where everything went,  and after they came back from his mooring, Paul and Brian helped me get mine up, by which time it was 5pm, and I think we'd all had enough!

Anyway, this morning I went down there nice and early to get everything ready to motor down Chichester harbour, along Hayling seafront and into Langstone where my berth is.

I wanted to get the jib up to give it a go if I felt confident enough. First problem was that there were no shackles to connect the sail to the bottom furler bearing and the halyard to the top bearing. There were no guy ropes attached to the sail itself. I went through the whole boat and they don't appear to be there. Not a problem as I can get some made up.

So I was left with motoring all the way, 10 odd miles or so, but the outboard just would not fire. I'd serviced it a couple of weeks ago and ran it until the fuel was all used so that I didn't have any petrol dripping into the locker. Now though, no fuel was getting through as the plugs were bone dry. In desperation I squirted fuel into the cylinders and this fired it up enough to suck fresh fuel through.

Off I went, and all was well apart form a niggling misfire, that happily didn't get any worse. Going out into the Solent along Hayling seafront was tricky, with a following wind and sea making it difficult not to be pushed side on to the waves, but after a couple of iffy moments with big waves, I motored into Langstone and round to the Eastney Cruising Association pontoon berths.

After a welcome beer in the ECA bar, I came out to find that she'd settled down onto the mud nicely. I have a list of fairly minor jobs to do to keep me busy, but with power available on the berth if I need it, I should be ok.

A big thanks to Paul and Brian, without whose help I would never have been able to even get the mast up. Cheers chaps!  Smiley

« Last Edit: 23.03.2015 at 07:18:57 by Pompeydave »  
  IP Logged
Paul
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - 23.03.2015 at 09:06:20

Hi Dave,
Glad you made it safely!
Did you use the keel down?
This makes all the difference in conditions described.
On the engine front perhaps a new inline fuel filter might help?
Have  great sailing season getting to know and love your TS240.

Cheers
Paul

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print