Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Trapper 500 re-engine (Read 7290 times)
MarcC
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Trapper 500 re-engine
11.05.2015 at 20:01:18

Hi.  I have a 1980 500, with an elderly Yanmar YSM8.  I'm considering replacing the engine but would like to find out if anyone has any advice....particularly if they have done the same themselves.  What would make a suitable replacement? What are the knock-on problems - shaft, prop, mounts etc?  If anyone has successfully re-engined their 500 I'd love to hear how they got on before I jump in at the deep end! Many thanks, Marc

IP Logged
Nick
Forum Administrator

A bear of little
brain

Dorset
Re: Trapper 500 re-engine
Reply #1 - 12.05.2015 at 05:11:31

First, welcome to the forum. I've moved your thread to the 500/501 board so that it is easy for people to find when searching for past threads.

A lot of 500s and 501s have been re engined by now and as you rightly say there are some issues.

The original C&C design included a petrol engine, which explains why the space is so tight. The trapper design from that used the small Yanmar 8 or 12 which fitted but was a lot easier to fit without the deck moulding than it is to replace.

I've seen all sorts of engines fitted over the years, some of which required major surgery to get in and the heaviest of which affected the trim of the boat.

I think, personally, that the most successful have been the nanni/kubota, the Yanmar 1GM10 and the 2GM20 though this latter needs more a larger propshaft. ( also I'm talking historically as all of these engines have been updated)

One of the other issues is that the original installation of the engine had two options and as far as I can work out that mean't two shaft sizes, though that may be age related. Our 501 started life with a YSM8 but had a bigger shaft than other boats, we fitted first a YSE12 and later a 1GM10.

The 1GM10 was fitted by a company in Devon but we did the original change ourselves with an engine we rebuilt. To make maintenance and installation easier we cut an access panel in the side of the quarter berth to reach the port cockpit drain seack which had been inaccessible till then, we also cut a hatch in the cockpit sole to access the coupling and rear mounts. This also meant it was easier to pull the engine through from the hatch in the saloon, though we had to take quite a lot of the engine apart to get it down the companionway hatch and though the engine hatch in the saloon, reassembling it once insitu.

Nick
WWW   IP Logged
MarcC
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Reply #2 - 12.05.2015 at 07:12:14

Hi Nick.  Thanks for the swift reply.  Don't suppose you know the shaft size you have with your 1GM10?...seems a likely choice.  We do have an inspection hatch in the quarter berth, and I'm also thinking about a hatch in the cockpit...will make life easier for lots of maintenance jobs.  Marc

IP Logged
Gary
Very Old Salt

I'd rather be on the
boat

Poole
Reply #3 - 12.05.2015 at 16:09:30

Marc

If you search the archive of the site you will find many bits on reengine the 500. My own was to a 15 hp 2 cylinder Nanni using the same shaft but changing to a 3 blade prop.

Gary

IP Logged
Nick
Forum Administrator

A bear of little
brain

Dorset
Reply #4 - 12.05.2015 at 19:38:15

It's back in the mists of time but definitely under an inch, I think they were either 3/4 or 7/8

Nick
WWW   IP Logged
Terry
First Mate

Love 2 Sail, Sail 2
Live

Poole - Dorset
Reply #5 - 12.05.2015 at 21:47:26

I have the Yanmar YSB12 on a Trapper 500 with 7/8" shaft (or 22.2mm)

« Last Edit: 12.05.2015 at 21:47:49 by Terry »  
  IP Logged
MarcC
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Reply #6 - 13.05.2015 at 06:36:25

Thanks for the info Gary, Nick and Terry.  Gary, other than the change of prop, any other major issues when swapping for the Nanni.  Do you know the engine model?

Off to hunt the archive!

IP Logged
Gary
Very Old Salt

I'd rather be on the
boat

Poole
Reply #7 - 14.05.2015 at 18:55:15

The engine was a 2 cylinder 15hp Nanni. The only major changes was to make and fit tnew engine beds and fit a flexible coupling to the shaft. The exhaust system was not a problem nor the electrics.

IP Logged
MarcC
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Reply #8 - 14.05.2015 at 20:04:46

Thanks Gary.  Looks like a contender!

IP Logged
Terry
First Mate

Love 2 Sail, Sail 2
Live

Poole - Dorset
Reply #9 - 14.05.2015 at 21:58:54

IP Logged
MarcC
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Reply #10 - 15.05.2015 at 21:12:57

Thank you Terry...I'll have a look through those.  I've found a couple of good posts already, but I'm struggling to search the archive - can only bring up the most recent 15 posts on the main forum, with no option to view the next 15.   These only  go back to this February.   I have selected 'all posts' on the search criteria.

Also, I can also only find posts from 2003 to 2006 in the archive.  
So really appreciate you sending those links! Thanks again for your help!

IP Logged
Nick
Forum Administrator

A bear of little
brain

Dorset
Reply #11 - 15.05.2015 at 22:16:53

The archive is the Voy forum, we have had a couple of others that are no longer available. I don't remember when I started the first one but before 2006 I'm sure. I think that might be when we started with Yabb.

Nick
WWW   IP Logged
Nick
Forum Administrator

A bear of little
brain

Dorset
Reply #12 - 17.05.2015 at 06:31:08

I appear to have joined this forum in 2005, though there are no members here for two years according to the member lists, that's odd.

I thought we came here from freeservers which started to do dodgy adverts on our site.. I don't recall why we left Voy.

Nick
WWW   IP Logged
Bald Eagle
Boatswain Mate

Love the water !

Northern Ireland
Reply #13 - 18.05.2015 at 20:55:48

I have to say over 5 years later & I have had absolutely no trouble form my Nanni 14hp. It was the best thing I have done to the boat.
This was my one
http://trapperyachts.org.uk/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1234382018
Good luck

A flappy sail is an unhappy sail
  IP Logged
MarcC
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Reply #14 - 21.05.2015 at 09:10:56

Thanks again everyone - it really is invaluable having access to all this info.  I've shared it all with my engineer friend and we're in the process of ordering a new engine at the moment.  Looks as if he can get a better deal on the Beta 14, but from what everyone is telling me, there's little to choose from between that and the Nanni.

Does anyone remember whether any down-angle is required on the gearbox?  It'll save me a trip out to the mooring!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print