Send Topic Print
Snoopy Trapper 500 (Read 2975 times)
Snoopy
Seaman Recruit

Love the water !

Snoopy Trapper 500
10.08.2015 at 10:48:03

Hi
I have a trapper 500 with 501 interior bilge keel .
Having a few problems when it goes aground on the drying mooring , In a way that the bow goes down nearly every time it goes aground .
Is there much history of this and is it common . Thinking about putting some ballast behind engine but thought I would contact association first . Also when it's say afloat water line shows bow down , nothing in the bow apart from anchor chain and anchor .

comments please

Rob

IP Logged
Pete
Boatswain Mate

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Snoopy Trapper 500
Reply #1 - 11.08.2015 at 16:40:09

Hi, I've also got a 500 with a 501 interior and bilge keels. I've never experienced this issue with mine. Most of my drying out is on mud though being on the East Coast and her keels sink all the way in.

I have dried her out on a harder surface on occasion on the town hard and I found that she still sat upright but was very finely balanced in as much as I could rock her quite easily by hand to and fro.  

On my boat the main locker is pretty much chocked full with a dinghy, spare fuel etc so that would add a bit of weight aft, which may make the difference.

Hope this is of some help.

IP Logged
Grahamh
Boatswain Mate

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 11.08.2015 at 20:26:44

I've got a 500 fin keel & the balance point is well forward on the keel base. So on level ground she tips forward. This is with a 10kg CQR & 15m of 10mm chain in the anchor locker. I would think a bilge keel would be similar. Something you have to live with!

IP Logged
Nick
Forum Administrator

A bear of little
brain

Dorset
Reply #3 - 12.08.2015 at 08:39:18

we always dried out pointing uphill given the choice, but we also had an enormous amount of kit in the stern including spare fuel and a large fishermans anchor as a spare.

I was always conscious that she looked front heavy on the hard. When in the yard she always had a prop wedged under the bow.

Nick
WWW   IP Logged
Gary
Very Old Salt

I'd rather be on the
boat

Poole
Reply #4 - 13.08.2015 at 19:36:33

This was a problem with the later 500 as the keels were scimitar shaped and acted like a rocking chair. On Charisma we tried various ways of stopping this but in the end lived with it for 25 years. You definatly need a prop under the bow in the boat yard, preferably at large oil drum.

IP Logged
Ronan
Seaman Apprentice

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 18.08.2015 at 19:53:44

We are also a late model 500 with a 501 interior and keep Soubrette on a drying mooring.  We have never dried out bow down. We too have a fair bit in the cockpit locker and a water tank under the cockpit floor though that is generally fairly empty. Maybe a key point is the weight of chain in the bow locker - we have 10m on the anchor, 50m of chain might make things very different.  

That said we had an interesting bow down night on our holidays this year when we picked a drying mooring with a hole behind it in Trath Coch on Anglesey,  but the bow still never touched the sand. Makes you rethink your choice of bunk...

Ronan

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print