Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Trapper Owner Association
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1st season of TS240 ownership- impressions so far (Read 2127 times)
Pompeydave
Seaman Apprentice

I can't help
laughing, I know
what's coming next..

Portsmouth
1st season of TS240 ownership- impressions so far
09.10.2015 at 00:51:02

Hi all, well my first season as a TS240 owner is drawing to a close and it's been eventful. After a shocking first sail in Langstone where I was all over the place, I started to get to grips with sailing on the second trip and ventured out of Langstone on the third. I managed to go aground on the East Winner bank- my god has it increased in size since I was last out there? Anyway, got off ok with no damage and had a really good day overall. Went out again last Sunday in a F4-5, and the boat is quick but as I've never done sailing before feels a bit skittish, and I almost wonder if I would be better off with a slower heavier boat. I really don't feel comfortable when it heels well over in what feels like only a F4. I think I need to get to grips with reefing perhaps? In F2-3  it's a joy and zips along beatifully without heeling too much. Maybe I'm trying to run before I can walk? Anyway, got a keel problem now in that it won't pump up the last inch or so required to get the steel rod through to support it. I took the panelling off and the ram appears to be at it's fully inward position, so I don't know what the problem is, maybe a stone jammed in between the bulb and the hull. Either way, it's probably finished the season for me. I hope to get her out of the water and into the ECA for the winter to give her some much needed TLC! I also need to learn more about the mechanics of sailing as coming from a motorboating past I'm unhappy with the previously mentioned heeling  Shocked.

« Last Edit: 09.10.2015 at 00:52:38 by Pompeydave »  
  IP Logged
Paul
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: 1st season of TS240 ownership- impressions so far
Reply #1 - 09.10.2015 at 10:51:08

Hi Dave,
Sounds like you have had some eventful moments!
As far as heeling goes its endemic to sailing except with the wind well behind.
Best approach as you gain experience is to start with half keel so that shallows are not too much of a problem within Langstone Harbour and over the Winner.
With half keel she will heel more with full sail so using a reef is good idea as you gain experiece .This will reduce heel going to windward. If you have a crew get them to sit out to windward and do so yourself if you have a tiller extension. This  helps reduce heel. Also read the notes at top of T S 240 section as sail trim can have a significant effect.
ON KEEL not lifting fully it may be something jamming at base of hull. Check also noslippage in Norseman wire clamp fittings though unlikely.
At Dell Quay we lift out on 31st Oct so abit more sailing to look forward yo!
cheers
Paul

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #2 - 10.10.2015 at 13:04:54

Hello Dave
Firstly welcome to the world of sail & enjoy the much reduced fuel costs!
I have no experience of the T240 But I know the T300 inside out. If you have been sailing in a F4-5 with full sail up you will have been all over the place & heeled well over! If I was beating ie sailing to windward in a F5 I would almost certainly have two reefs in the main & only half the genoa unfurled. The boat is then less heeled, controllable & actually goes faster. Clearly you are on a learning curve. See how much sail similar size boats are using. Also remember when sailing to windward the apparent windspeed is a combination of true wind & boat speed & of course tide assuming you have a fair tide under you. This is why a F6 is called a yachtsmans gale. Paul's advice to reef is spot on. It is easier to shake out a reef when underpowered than the other way round.
Good luck with the layup jobs (there will always be a list!) & good luck for next season............John

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #3 - 18.10.2015 at 16:43:18

Dave: have you seen the two comments above? Difficult to help further without a reaction  from you!

IP Logged
Jonathan
Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Bromley
Reply #4 - 21.10.2015 at 10:56:46

As a very long term TS240 sailor I would endorse the comments about reefing. I remember when I first got my boat I found it a little disconcerting. If you have a tiller extension and sit up on the cockpit coaming you are well up above the waves when well heeled and the boat will be quite steady even when the lee rail is under water - but I guess you will need more experience to feel confident in that.

Generally if the boat is heeled too far it will actually slow down though it does not feel like it. In my experience you need to start reducing sail area once you reach above the top of force 3 and by the time you are at the top of force 5 you will probably want 2 reefs in and not a lot of Genoa rolled out. You might be best advised to leave the mooring with the mainsail reefed if sailing single handed as you can let out more of the rolled genoa if needed and will feel comfortable while you get used to the conditions.

I would suggest you do not pay too much attention to other boats as many will still have full sail up when the TS240 is better reefed. It is not chicken to reef but just the way to sail these boats. The TS240 boats set a lot of sail area for its size with a very high mast which makes them so fantastic with full rig in light airs. Just won a race by streets on Sunday in very light airs.

Personally I try to avoid sailing with the keel part raised hanging on the wire as the ballast is at the bulb in the bottom and it does change the dynamics of the boat + the previous owner of mine had the swaging on the cable fail. I cannot avoid it totally here on the east coast with a lot of shallow water. Mine has a second pin hole for a slightly lowered keel which I feel happier with.

Lastly if the boat is well heeled and a gust lays it over even further  - and the rudder loses its grip - you may be alarmed at the time but have no fears the boat will round up into the wind by itself and look after you. You may be shaken and stirred but you will be OK. It's called broaching. Best avoided however.

Keep at it you will find the ride unbeatable - over 30 foot preformance for not a lot more than dinghy expense.

IP Logged
Pompeydave
Seaman Apprentice

I can't help
laughing, I know
what's coming next..

Portsmouth
Reply #5 - 19.12.2015 at 18:20:26

Ok, thanks for the advice everyone. Apologies for the long time to reply. My only worry with heeling over is that the boat is going to capsize. Reefing seems to be the answer and I can see the logic of a TS240 needing reefing at lower forces than many other boats as I now realise the sail area is huge compared to a lot of 23/24 footers. I've had real problems with the yard trailer I inherited with the boat- the hubs are ancient, and nearly siezed up on the trip from Dell Quay to the ECA at Eastney. The hub bearings look like they've been backed off to prevent siezing at some point, but it just means the hubs are very loose, and very dry. I had to punch a hole through the dustcaps and spray WD40 in to cool them down. Anyway, we got there ok, but when uhitched from my mates van the jockey wheel collapsed. Work has been manic so I've only just got to it today. All the bolts were seized on but eventually I got them all off and removed the rusty jockey wheel and tube. A new one is on order now, and once it turns up and is fitted I can arrange to get the boat out of the water and get that keel inspected. Happy Christmas everyone, and I'll post an update as soon as the boat is on dry land  Smiley.  

IP Logged
Paul
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 21.12.2015 at 19:47:20

Hi Dave,
The inherited trailer was only used for storage ov
r the winter by Giles so road trailing it to ESA was very brave if you  hadnt checked and lubricated  the bearings
Hope you get boat out soon so plenty of time to tackle jobs while winter mild. However if immersing the trailer it will pay to flush out and repack the bearings after  use as I found out the hard way that saltwater and bearings dont mix! At least you only have two wheels - I have four! Thats why I Am so pleased to get crane lift in and out.
HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND ALL TRAPPER OWNERS.
Paul

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print