Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Trapper Owner Association
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Harlequin Refurbishment (Read 2727 times)
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Harlequin Refurbishment
07.03.2016 at 14:22:04

Here is a link to Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n4xcy01vj8ke4eq/AABlQEwxtUOX8LM4sGuZsawOa?dl=0

This contains lots of photos of Harlequin and the work we've done on her.

All woodwork was done by my good friend and ex-colleague from years ago Steve Wyatt, a true craftsman.

I hope you like them.

Justin

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Re: Harlequin Refurbishment
Reply #1 - 07.03.2016 at 21:06:03

pictures look good Justin! Looks like you've done a lot of work. Love the sink in the heads! The mk1 doesn't have room for that unfortunately as the starboard pilot bunk extends beyond the main bulkhead and into that little area.

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #2 - 08.03.2016 at 12:35:52

Hi Justin,

Like Andy, I also like the sink in the heads, I've thought about adding one too above the heads or adapting the space there.
Being able to see refurb pics gives everyone an idea of what can be achieved with a little thought and ingenuity and hopefully inspire people who may be a little unsure of utilising the spaces we have to the best potential resulting in a really functional layout.

Stevie  Smiley

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #3 - 08.03.2016 at 12:50:38

Hi

The new basin has a stopcock in the water line from the galley sink so the heads basin can be isolated otherwise if it is folded up as is normal when sailing, if anyone uses the galley tap water is also pumped into the heads basin and hence to the floor of the locker!!!

We've taken the door off the locker as although it was modified to fold it still made it awkward to get past if the basin was down.

The waste is teed off the galley sink waste to avoid another sink fitting.

I too considered the locker behind the heads but it would have meant a lot more plumbing and would have been awkward to use.

It is amazing to thing just how much work we've done on the boat over the last 2 winters!

My wife asked me if I'd not have been better off buying a more expensive boat in the first place as I've spent the same amount on her as I paid for her.  The boat that is not the wife!  But I said if I'd bought a more expensive boat I'd probably have just had to spend even more on her again as a 30 year old boat needs pretty much refitting unless the previous owner has kept on top of it which is unusual as most enthusiasm is in the few thrill of ownership not when you've had her for some years.

I'm reeally looking forward to doing some serious cruising this year as last year's cruise was really just a shakedown to see what further needed doing.

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #4 - 08.10.2016 at 11:34:09

Having now done about 1200 Nm in Harlequin this year I really know this boat.

She now has a bright red mainsail from Ullmans sails.  This has transformed the boat's sailing performance to windward and makes the boat stand out from the crowd even more.

I've also fitted dual line reefing on the main which has made reefing single handed now a doddle.

The starboard forecabin bunk cushion has been cut into 2 so that hooks in the vertical headlining provide hanging space into the locker for wet weather gear.  The forecabin remains a good single berth as long as you aren't 6 foot 3 like me and can still be used as a tight double if necessary with the cushion in place and the hanging clothes removed.  The hooks fold flat to the headlining when not in use.

This winter we are going to cut the top off the cupboard in which the heads basin was fitted to improve access to the basin.  It was just a bit too recessed to be easy to use.  We'll strengthen the cupboard edges to provide good handholds whilst we're at it.

I plan also to fit a second battery (leisure) for the domestic side and instruments.  Do any of you have any advice on switching/relay preferences?

The reserve vhf antennae will be moved onto the pushpit from the masthead as someone sensibly pointed out that it'd be most needed when the rig has gone overboard.

I'll also get the backstay and shrouds replaced and probably get new bottle screws whilst I'm at it.

So it'll be another busy winter but not nearly as intensive as the last two.  I really need to do some work on the house as parts haven't been decorated for over 20 years and my long suffering good lady is becoming a little impatient!

Hope everyone had a good summer's sailing.  I certainly did.  Next year it'll hopefully be Ireland or the Irish Sea and Clyde.  But it is time I saw the Isles of Scilly and landed on Lundy rather than just sail past so another trip south may be what actually happens.  The high point was definitely the Channel Isles and Brittany which was too fleeting.

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #5 - 09.10.2016 at 07:45:34

Looks like you have had an amazing season!

Only done about 300 miles so far in 3 months, but getting to know Jasta too

Interested in your reefing arrangements. I have a combination of reefing lines/topping lift at the mast and halyards led aft. Makes things a pain as you need to be both at the mast and in the cockpit! and with no lazy lacks, you get a good workout in a blow

How have you set up Harlequin? Have you mounted deck organisers to lead the lines aft? and if so, how did you install without cutting large parts of the interior liner away?

Cheers
Paul

« Last Edit: 09.10.2016 at 07:49:33 by Paul G »  
  IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #6 - 09.10.2016 at 10:55:27

I have 14 jammers on my coachroof with colour coded ropes:
starboard and port preventers to stop boom gybing inadvertantly, genoa halyard, main halyard, spinnaker halyard, topping lift, kicker, spinnaker pole uphaul, spinnaker pole downhaul which is also used for the cruising chute tack, cunningham, first reefing line to leach, first reefing line to luff, second reefing line to leach and finally second reefing line to luff.

I have standup blocks at the base of the mast for everything that comes down and deck organisers to bring everything back to the jammers.

Yes a lot of holes have been cut in the headliner and although I've covered them with white plastic 1 inch inserts I intend to remove these where there are a lot clustered together and screw beeth ply panels over them to tidy it all up.

The dual line reefing with a substantial topping lift to scandalise the main whilst reefing has made it all very simple.  

The preventers have also ensured safety when running.

Fellow club members having seen these in action during the windy Round The Island Race were very impressed.

I developed the ideas over the last 12 years on my previous boat a Pandora 22.  All very well tried and tested.

All that deckgear isn't cheap though!  I've used Barton wherever possible as it is cheaper and perfectly up to the job.

I'll remove the cowhorns this winter as they can catch the flying cringles when you are letting out a reef although I've cured that by tying them down.  I've also fitted rings at the tack to lead the luff reefing lines vertically to the standup blocks.

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #7 - 09.10.2016 at 18:53:32

Justin, thanks for the post

You have really thought out that arrangement!

I currently only have two lines led aft, the main and genoa halyards, with two tiny winches mounted either side of the hatch and then onto cleats on the bulkhead. Everything else is on the mast / boom.

Im tempted to bring more lines aft, but my interior is in such good shape, I'm loath to drill any holes in the roof!

Decisions. . . .

Cheers

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #8 - 10.10.2016 at 10:40:15

I think lines lead back for easy safe sail adjustment is more important than having a cosmetically perfect headlining.  Some tastefully vanished or suitably finished ply covers is ok with me.

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #9 - 18.01.2017 at 12:41:36

Hi
Having found the heads basin in the cupboard rather awkward to use Steve and I have just away the top shelf and re-trimmed the surround in much more robust oak and ply so that the basin is now very accessible.

See link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xpywz160pmjw9pm/19finishedbasindown.JPG?dl=0

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #10 - 20.01.2017 at 10:01:49

Hi Justin, that looks an interesting arrangement!

I don't really use the locker behind the heads, but really miss a sink there.
Have you thought of raising the sink a little and putting a door on the area below to enable it to still be used as a storage locker?

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #11 - 20.01.2017 at 15:23:18

Hi, Paul.

The basin is in fact in the locker opposite the heads and it is hinged so that it is held up out of the way when underway inside the original cupboard space.  It is only down for use when the boat is stationary. I use the space below the sink for the laundry bag.  The basin is plumbed to the feed to the galley sink with stopcocks on both basin and sink to prevent syphoning.  The waste also goes to the galley sink outlet pipe and seacock to minimise the number of skin fittings.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zprpmfcwo86sxq3/20finishedbasinup.JPG?dl=0

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #12 - 15.05.2017 at 16:48:15

Hi

I've had a brainwave or some might say a daft idea. Being irritated by not being able to stand up anywhere below deck and not liking sprayhoods, I've just ordered a 500 mm diameter acrylic dome with 20 mm flange to mount on my sliding hatch.  Once fitted I'll have full standing headroom under the main hatch and the ability to see 360 degrees around without having to go on deck.  I will still have to remember to open the hatch before coming out on deck though.

I'll post a photo once it has been fitted in hopefully a couple of weeks.

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #13 - 01.06.2017 at 10:10:59

« Last Edit: 01.06.2017 at 10:13:33 by Justin »  
  IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #14 - 05.06.2017 at 18:21:55

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0yqfsl2b46ddc53/Dome%20from%20inside%20-%20Copy.jpg?dl...

Dome from inside.  I love it.  I'm having a fleece lined canvas cover made for it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print