Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Open plan interior (Read 10329 times)
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Open plan interior
07.03.2016 at 21:17:48

So I'm trialling the open plan look.... well not intensionally. I have had to replace the main bulkhead as the bottom 6 inches was rotten.

Unfortunately whichever monkey at the yard built Crazy Horse didn't tab the bulkhead to the floor along through the bilge on both sides which has meant any water in the bilge (which you can't really get to in the fore peak) just gets soaked up by the bulkhead.

The rot wasn't excessive where it was compromising the structural integrity... yet. But as I am refitting the interior in the forepeak it needs to be done now before everything gets fitted.

The new bulkhead will not contain any plywood. Oh and I have 4 weeks before racing starts to complete it. A few late nights ahead of me I think.

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Re: Open plan interior
Reply #1 - 07.03.2016 at 22:12:16

Have you thought of making the whole area forward of the king post into a nice large forecabin and then putting a heads compartment at the foot of the companionway on the port side.

However if you primarily race you may just want to keep her stripped out!

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #2 - 08.03.2016 at 13:01:59

Hi Andy,

Wow you've certainly given yourself some work there! That's a lot of man hours gonna be spent on her
I'm sure the work will be up to the high standard you have on the upper deck.
Now's the time to plan what you want, what you need and come up with a design that will be future proof and maintenance friendly. I don't envy your workload but all will come good in the end.
There are times when you pick up the tools and feel that it will never end and your confidence/ability flags but then you see what other owners have achieved and it can push you on to complete the task, so pat on the back to you guys and gals out there.
As I mentioned on Justin's post, it's good to see different owners refurb pics because it can show what can be achieved on the 300's and it may also lead to a design or idea that other owners may really like and adopt, even adapt for better use.
Different minds can come up with some really good ideas that can be relayed to the forum for thoughts or comments.
Any ideas that can extend the life of our boats must surely be a good thing for the owners using this forum.
C'mon the 300's, haha

Stevie  Cheesy

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #3 - 08.03.2016 at 17:00:21

Hi, Andy
Have you resealed the toe rail hull deck joint?  It'd be very easy with the interior gutted out at the moment.

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #4 - 08.03.2016 at 17:53:23

Yeh I have considered a separate heads compartment in the saloon area somewhere but I'm just not convinced there is enough space to make it happen unfortunately. Not decided 100% on layout as yet.

Many many man hours needed. Just making the new bulkhead is a lot of work in itself but will not involve any wood so no chance of rot again.

I agree about refurb pictures. I will try and get all of mine together and post them up for you all.

Bulkhead manufacture should start this weekend once materials arrive

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #5 - 10.03.2016 at 21:39:07

For future reference for everyone. If ever you are in the position where you need to remove the keel on a trapper 300. There is another keel bolt hidden under the mast compression post that I have just unearthed today while removing fibreglass tabbing from the old bulkhead that went around the compression post. No I am not removing the keel but I thought it might pay for us to all know about this hidden bolt.

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #6 - 21.03.2016 at 22:04:44

New bulkhead is pretty much finished, just got to fit it to the boat now.

One of the panels in the vac bag

All the panels finished, new door made as well but left it at home

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #7 - 22.03.2016 at 17:20:42

Andy - you are clearly very skilled & accomplished. Very impressive - well done!...............John

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #8 - 22.03.2016 at 18:41:16

Andy
Very impressive.
How did you make the bulkhead?

Justin

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #9 - 22.03.2016 at 19:52:02

Andy,

Like John and Justin said,very well done, fancy a trip up to Scotland to give me a hand lol.
Either that or pack our jobs in and take up boat refurb in the Med or Bahamas?

Stevie  Grin Cheesy Cool

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #10 - 22.03.2016 at 23:35:10

Thank you all.

Bulkhead is 12mm structural closed cell foam with 2 layers of 450g biaxial cloth played up with epoxy resin either side. Areas where the chainplates bolt to are solid glass. All layed up by hand and then vacuum consolidated.

Stevie, I have managed the "take up boat refurb" bit as I have recently started doing it as my full time job but I need to work on the Med or Bahamas bit still...

Bulkhead was test fitted to the boat tonight and it all fits so just need to create the lap joints and cap the edges of the foam with thickened epoxy and then it's ready to be tabbed into the boat. Hoping to have it in and finished by the end of the easter weekend. Racing starts the following weekend.

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #11 - 23.03.2016 at 13:53:32

Andy,

Wow you certainly have all the right tools for the job and the workshop to do it in by the looks of things.
I thought I had a good selection of tools and equipment from working as an engineer and DIY'er all these years but I think I'll have to ask Santa for some new gadgets and gizmos as I believe you can never have enough tools haha.
Just look at Norm's workshop on 'New Yankee Workshop' on Discovery, he's got bloody every woodworking tool you could think of, probably runs on nuclear power too, LOL
Seriously though are you saving blueprints to a hard drive, there always seem to be owners looking for replacement fore hatches, rudders and the like, on the forum, and if you can manufacture them in your workshop then it could be extra income plus having the 300 dimensions already to hand, means made exactly to fit.
Anyways enough ramblin' on back to work...

Stevie Embarrassed

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #12 - 23.03.2016 at 22:15:40

Yes, agreed! You can never have too many tools. I'm pretty lucky to have a very good boss.

All my free time is taken up with projects for my own boat so I wouldn't have the time to make other parts. Plus I think the boss might have something to say if I start making money out of his workshop  Angry Maybe something for the future though.

Another 5 hours spent on the bulkhead today... long day

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #13 - 25.03.2016 at 23:09:44

Stage 1 of there instal complete today.

Dry fit

First 2 panels glassed together.

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #14 - 25.04.2016 at 20:25:15

Update well overdue, bulkhead is complete. Here are a few pictures..

I bet you've never seen a Trapper 300 on a hyrahoist.. One of the half tonners I race against is out of the water for a while so I borrowed his hoist to fit a folding propeller. (Makes a big difference on speed, I saw 8 knots on sunday in about 12 knots of breeze)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print