Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Re: Open plan interior
Reply #15 - 26.04.2016 at 08:57:49

Excellent work.

Which folding prop did you fit and to what engine and shaft?

How are you going to finish your internal layout?  I still think a big forecabin and the heads somewhere further aft makes sense.

Justin

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #16 - 26.04.2016 at 12:28:47

Andy,

Your refit is coming along at a 'rate of knots' if you pardon the pun!
Haven't been up to my boat now for nearly a month, involved on another family project that seems to be over running from the original completion dates I had in mind, always the same!!
Our race season for the keel boats starts this Friday, the winter glacier is finally thawing over Scotland and normal services will be resumed asap.
Temp still a touch too low at night for the painting to cure properly so another couple of weeks and I will be getting started.
Seeing your progress is really making me very keen to get back to work on 'Carpe'
I believe she is fitted with the original folding prop which still works though the teeth that fold the two blades shut are becoming worn. I don't know if they could be refaced as the cost of a new prop is really horrendous.
As you say it's amazing how much drag there is on a normal prop when you are racing.
Keep up the good work and keep posting the pics.

Stevie  Cheesy

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #17 - 26.04.2016 at 16:52:44

The prop is a flexofold 2 blade 13x07L on a 3/4" shaft powered by the original Yanmar YSB8.

I will be keeping the heads forward I think. I just can't think of any location that will not massively compromise the space in the saloon. I do plan on eventually reconfiguring to a galley and chart table to port and as you can see I have done away with the port cut out in the bulkhead for the pilot bunk that used to be. For now I have lost enthusiasm for it and am just enjoying the racing while the season is still fresh.

I'm unsure on refacing the teeth on the folding gear. If its any help to you my prop was €843 including next day delivery from Flexofold direct in Denmark. Darglow (the UK distributors) wanted £712 plus carriage.

IP Logged
Poll
Boatswain Mate

Love the water !

Reply #18 - 11.05.2016 at 21:09:07

Andy wrote on 26.04.2016 at 16:52:44:
The prop is a flexofold 2 blade 13x07L on a 3/4" shaft powered by the original Yanmar YSB8.

I will be keeping the heads forward I think. I just can't think of any location that will not massively compromise the space in the saloon. I do plan on eventually reconfiguring to a galley and chart table to port and as you can see I have done away with the port cut out in the bulkhead for the pilot bunk that used to be. For now I have lost enthusiasm for it and am just enjoying the racing while the season is still fresh.

I'm unsure on refacing the teeth on the folding gear. If its any help to you my prop was €843 including next day delivery from Flexofold direct in Denmark. Darglow (the UK distributors) wanted £712 plus carriage.

Love the vids on YT Andy if this is the same boat, great stuff.

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #19 - 11.05.2016 at 22:39:25

Yes, i suspect it is the videos you've seen. Not many trapper 300 ones on there but i'm slowly building a collection! Got to use the GoPro for something right..

I'm having a bit of a frustrating time racing at the moment as I am the slowest boat on handicap in the fleet and it seems every evening we race the breeze falls away leaving us with no chance of a decent result on handicap. Best result so far is 4th..

However, on sunday we went for a jolly for lunch in Dartmouth on the boat and on the way back into torbay with a few waves from the 25kt easterly we got a max speed of 10.3kts and easily making 8kts on average. Very chuffed with that, smashed the previous speed record of 8.9kts! Wish i'd had the GoPro on then!

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #20 - 12.05.2016 at 20:02:42

Hi Andy
You are doing a great job on your boat!
Im really impressed with your videos too
Ive just bought a T300 Jasta, she needs work so will be following in your footsteps
Cheers,
Paul

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #21 - 16.05.2016 at 20:20:54

Thanks Paul!

So, I had a brilliant weekend this weekend! Dartmouth music festival and racing.

Race down there results yet to be confirmed. Fantastic night out at the music festival. Lovely race back from Dartmouth to Brixham yesterday which Crazy Horse and the team won by 4 seconds on corrected time. Topped off by the fact the boat we beat in 2nd is sailed by Roger Nuttall, my old Physics teacher. I knew I'd get one up on him eventually!

I am hopeful that Saturdays result will be a top 3 as well. That's the first win for Crazy Horse this year and it couldn't have been a better day to do it with fantastic weather and good company.

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #22 - 16.05.2016 at 20:59:27

Looking good, well done!

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #23 - 17.05.2016 at 16:57:41

Well Done Andy.

America's Cup Next?

Stevie  Grin

IP Logged
Poll
Boatswain Mate

Love the water !

Reply #24 - 19.05.2016 at 19:30:45

Andy wrote on 11.05.2016 at 22:39:25:
Yes, i suspect it is the videos you've seen. Not many trapper 300 ones on there but i'm slowly building a collection! Got to use the GoPro for something right..

I'm having a bit of a frustrating time racing at the moment as I am the slowest boat on handicap in the fleet and it seems every evening we race the breeze falls away leaving us with no chance of a decent result on handicap. Best result so far is 4th..

However, on sunday we went for a jolly for lunch in Dartmouth on the boat and on the way back into torbay with a few waves from the 25kt easterly we got a max speed of 10.3kts and easily making 8kts on average. Very chuffed with that, smashed the previous speed record of 8.9kts! Wish i'd had the GoPro on then!
 Great stuff! Hopefully I'll have some vids posted this year on YouTube too, might as well put my wee go pro to some use lol.

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #25 - 24.11.2016 at 21:40:46

Well, I feel like an update is well overdue. Although thinking about it, up until this week i really haven't done much to the boat at all.

Raced her at Dartmouth Regatta in August

Broke the spinnaker pole last month while racing (carbon one coming this week.... oops)

This week the work has started again. The joys of the Trapper 300 anchor locker leak! Mine was leaking in a couple of places. The main problem was the join between the anchor well and the shelf in the anchor locker, this join had come apart and was allowing at least a bucket of water into the bilge on a decent day of rain. The 2nd problem and one we all share; the top of the well is cut away to allow access to toe rail bolts and a decent wave can allow water down between the 2 skins. So I've decided to cut it all out and start again. While I'm at it I am going to make the anchor well slightly smaller to create a couple of extra inches of legroom in the foreword bunk.

This is what i started with.

Most of it removed. When cuting it out I found a fair amount of water that had got between the anchor well and the outer skin of the hull just settled at the bottom with nowhere to go.

This is where the real fun began. Angle grinder and fibreglass is always a pleasant experience. Here it is all ground clean and smooth ready to laminate.

Sheaved with one layer of 450g biaxial fibreglass with epoxy resin. This is mainly to give a robust and strong substrate to resist any damage from the anchor and chain being put in and out. The hull itself is fairly flexible in this area but once the new bulkheads are in to create the new anchor well it will be significantly stronger than original.

And finally tonight I got the area that will be inside the anchor locker coated with Hempadur epoxy coating.

« Last Edit: 24.11.2016 at 21:43:58 by Andy »  
  IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #26 - 25.11.2016 at 08:10:17

Wow Andy, you have been busy!
Looks good

Now you have cut away all of the interior liner in the forward cabin, how are you going to recreate it?

A couple of extra inches in the fore cabin would be useful. If I sleep up there, I simply turn around, with my head in the pointy end and legs then free to stretch out (I'm 6ft 3). With Jasta being a Mk 2, i mostly just make up the double bed in the main cabin however

Cheers

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #27 - 25.11.2016 at 09:34:13

Having ripped out the whole interior, if I were you I'd consider long and hard how I wanted to redesign it. One nice big forecabin taking up the whole forward section including the heads area. A new heads area near the companion way. So many choices.
I too am 6 ft 3 and seldom use the forecabin myself and if I do it is head up the pointy end.

Excellent work. We'll done.
Justin

« Last Edit: 25.11.2016 at 09:38:22 by Justin »  
  IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #28 - 25.11.2016 at 22:30:00

New interior will be made of foam cored fibreglass similar to my bulkhead and will be veneered probably with oak veneer. I am planning to keep the original forward cabin layout as i don't think there is enough space in the main saloon to accommodate a heads compartment as well. This is going to be a project that gets done a little at a time when i have the time as I won't be using the boat for cruising much and can carry on racing her while the work carries on. I have a few bigger jobs to do this winter when i have her hauled out in the New Year.

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #29 - 26.11.2016 at 17:20:58

Hi Andy,

Thought you had maybe sailed off the edge of the world as it's been a while since you last posted haha.
You certainly are re vamping 'Crazy Horse' no end. Looks very impressive and looking forward to seeing the end product.
With all the new work and provided there's no sailing mishaps or problems with the hull she should be seaworthy for a few decades yet.
The time and effort you are committing when tallied up would probably amount to the cost of a brand new yacht but what price do you put on a labor of love.
Although you are renewing the bulkheads would you have to declare structural alterations for insurance purposes?
We are having a terrible time with boat insurance companies for the Firth of Forth, they decline cover for the area but don't state why?
Luckily the company I'm with don't have any issues and hopefully it will continue for a long time yet.
Anyways enough rambling, thawing out from latest  undertakings in my workshop, didn't go up to boat today as it's mostly woodworking that is best done here.

TTFN

Stevie

Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print