Send Topic Print
Open plan interior (Read 9348 times)
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Re: Open plan interior
Reply #30 - 27.11.2016 at 18:51:19

Hi Stevie,

I have been a bit rubbish with the updates. I've been spending too much time fixing other peoples boats and not enough time working on my own.

The amount of time and money I've probably ploughed into it yes I could have bought something new almost but it's more of a hobby than anything else. Plus you can learn lot from doing projects like this.

As far as declaring changes to insurance is concerned I don't see a need to declare as all I'm really doing is replacing the bulkheads in their current locations with stronger materials and/or adding bulkheads where there wasn't one before.

Your project is definitely looking impressive! Looks a little more complete than where I'm at.

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #31 - 30.12.2016 at 22:09:16

Some progress made.

Got the panels laid up before christmas to build the new anchor locker with and here i have them cut out and dry fitted.

And epoxied in, I will come back and radius all the edges and laminate them all together and to the boat

If you compare these pictures with the ones of the old anchor locker you can see i have gained at least 4 inches of leg room hopefully. I don't carry a lot of chain or anchor line so this anchor locker is more than sufficient for me.

Another successful race in brixham on boxing day with a 2nd out of 15 or so boats. Another trapper 300 was racing too. "Scrapper", anyone know it?

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #32 - 31.12.2016 at 15:03:42

Hi Andy,

It's coming along nicely, will be tip top when it's all completed.
All the best for 2017

Stevie

Grin

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #33 - 12.02.2017 at 21:44:41

Well, i've been slack on my updates again.

Anchor locker is finished, and so so much better than before!! Looking forward to the extra leg room in forward bunk when its built.

Glassed in

Painted

You can see from this one that the anchor locker is now completely 100% water tight, I will have to fit a gland for the bow nav light wiring.

All my hard work is being rewarded with some good racing in Brixham. There is another trapper 300 racing against us. We missed out on the series win by 1 point as todays final are was canceled owing to the breaking waves over the breakwater... New genoa and bigger main with longer boom has made a massive difference to upwind speed!

If anyone is interested I had a new main made last year to the original Trapper 300 sizes that is now redundant due to my upgrade in size. It cost me 650 last year, made by edge sails. If anyone wants more info or pictures let me know. I'm thinking 300 is a fair price for its condition

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #34 - 13.02.2017 at 08:32:58

How long is your new boom and what are the dimensions of the new larger mainsail.

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #35 - 13.02.2017 at 16:28:04

Andy

Dropped you a note ref the mainsail

On another note, have you fitted a drain hole to the fwd cleat recess?
Mine fills with water on a regular basis and freezes in winter!

Cheers

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #36 - 13.02.2017 at 18:00:31

Justin wrote on 13.02.2017 at 08:32:58:
How long is your new boom and what are the dimensions of the new larger mainsail.

Hi Justin,

I believe new boom is approx 3m maybe just over. The main I have put on it is a j24 main which needed about 4 inches chopping off the bottom to create the right luff length.

Hope this helps. You definitely have to remember to duck through the tacks/gybes now....

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #37 - 13.02.2017 at 18:02:15

Paul G wrote on 13.02.2017 at 16:28:04:
Andy

Cheers

Reply coming your way via email RE main.

Yes I have a stainless flush fitting drain fitted to the cleat recess. See pictures further up this page from before i chopped the old anchor locker out.

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #38 - 14.02.2017 at 12:01:37

Paul G wrote on 13.02.2017 at 16:28:04:
Andy

Cheers

Hi Paul - Star Trapper has a drain hole in recess. Water drains into anchor locker & hence overboard.........John

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #39 - 14.02.2017 at 17:57:18

Andy, John

Thanks for the advice. Will fit a drain to the recess.
Have a week off this week, so its on the to-do list

John, if you are down at Deacons this week, feel free to pop in and say hello

Cheers

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #40 - 15.02.2017 at 10:58:06

Paul G wrote on 14.02.2017 at 17:57:18:
Andy, John

John, if you are down at Deacons this week, feel free to pop in and say hello

Cheers

Thanks Paul - currently over in Shanklin via Red Funnel!
Just had the yard replace the gas installation on ST.
Enjoy your week...........John

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #41 - 22.03.2017 at 23:27:42

So, last year i decided to replace the main bulkhead with 4 weeks before racing started...

This year I have decided to convert from shallow fin keel to deep fin with the addition of a 20cm lead shoe. Started with 3 weeks to go before racing starts, now just over a week to go and I'm nowhere near.  Undecided

I'll have pictures for you all once i've finished and am back in the water. No time before. Eat, Sleep, boat, repeat.

IP Logged
Albert1113
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Dublin
Reply #42 - 29.03.2017 at 18:06:05

Andy its very very impressive Smiley also Your results in racing. I'm racing in Dublin bay but not such successful. i did a lot of work with the hull and in the sails area, but lost mast now. so ill be looking to improve that to. and i saw that You have longer boom now, this is very interesting. cheers

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #43 - 03.04.2017 at 20:13:18

Just about caught up on my sleep after 3 weeks of very early mornings and late nights.

Here are some pictures of what i've been up to. Crazy Horse was relaunched on friday ready for the first race of the season yesterday.

Here she is in the workshop on the keel off cradle

This is what the keel looked like before i started (2 aftermarket bulb halfs weighing about 25kg each)

Started by making a rough foam version of the shoe i wanted to make, fibreglassed it and filled and faired it in place under the keel with car body filler.

Sent that plug off to teignbridge propellers who made my casting mould for me.

While they were making that I got to work with drilling the holes in the bottom of the existing keel to take 3 m12 studs (drilling through a piece of shaped oak to use as a jig for drilling the holes back through the lead shoe) Also built a steel framework to be cast inside the shoe to take the compression loads up into the cast iron when the boat is sat on it's keel in the yard as lead is far to soft to sit 2 tonnes of boat on it. Trapper originally wouldn't have done this but there is an additive called antimony that lead casters use which makes the lead a lot harder but i couldn't get my hands on any of that.

With the mould made i put the steel framework inside one half of the mould and closed the mould and got the "foundry" set up.

Here is over 100kg of molten lead ready to pour (skimmed the rubbish off the top before pouring, when you melt lead its so dense that any contaminants float to the top)

Released it form the mould the next day and cut the pouring spout off. Ended up being 117kg

Here it is upside down after a quick grind clean. You can see that i built 3 cups into the steel framework to allow the ends of the studs and the nuts to be sunk into the bottom of the keel rather than sticking out.

Offering it up under the studs (lined up perfectly even if i say so myself)

« Last Edit: 03.04.2017 at 20:22:38 by Andy »  
  IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #44 - 03.04.2017 at 20:19:34

Epoxied the top of the shoe ready to bolt and seal it in place

Lead primed and cast iron epoxied before filling and fairing, followed by 6 more coats of epoxy.

It then got underwater primed and I sanded and anti fouled the whole boat. Here is the final product of my 3 weeks of intensive work. It was worth it though!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print