Send Topic Print
Open plan interior (Read 10996 times)
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Re: Open plan interior
Reply #45 - 03.04.2017 at 21:44:47

Well done Andy, looks good and very similar to the factory fitted option

How have all the mods you have done affected your handicap when racing?

Cheers

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #46 - 04.04.2017 at 18:32:25

Handicap went up 16 points from 0.827 to 0.843 based on keel modification, larger main and larger spinnaker. 16 points equates to about 1 minute in every 100. Extra speed seems to be outweighing the handicap hit based on our 2nd place on sunday. We will see how the season goes.

IP Logged
Albert1113
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Dublin
Reply #47 - 05.04.2017 at 15:56:17

Andy is it keel longer now? or just havier? how is this working with biger main? im seriously considering longer bom and maybe little longer mast now, but i was afraid that it will give me only drag and tilt, not power.... could You tell more about this please please Smiley

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #48 - 05.04.2017 at 21:31:28

Albert1113 wrote on 05.04.2017 at 15:56:17:
Andy is it keel longer now? or just havier? how is this working with biger main? im seriously considering longer bom and maybe little longer mast now, but i was afraid that it will give me only drag and tilt, not power.... could You tell more about this please please Smiley

keel is 25cm deeper. balance with bigger main is good. i wouldn't say you need longer mast. I guess if you were to change your mast you could convert to fractional rig which could definitely have its benefits but I wouldn't personally bother. Extra weight in the keel with bigger main is now seeing 6kts to windward. you won't get a lot more from a 300

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #49 - 06.04.2017 at 07:20:40

If you changed to fractional rig your need the. Mast moved forward too and that would involve new kingpost in the heads area.
Has the bigger main increased weather helm?

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #50 - 06.04.2017 at 09:56:20

Justin wrote on 06.04.2017 at 07:20:40:
If you changed to fractional rig your need the. Mast moved forward too and that would involve new kingpost in the heads area.
Has the bigger main increased weather helm?

You can run a 7/8 fractional rig with inline spreaders and keep the mast where it is. Or what I would probably do is move the chain plates aft for aft swept spreaders. Maximising your J measurement is of benefit so moving the mast forward isn't an option. This is all relative as I won't be doing it unless my rig falls down and the insurance pays for it...

Somewhat surprisingly there is absolutely no additional weather helm.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print