Jasta (Read 10138 times)
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Jasta
11.05.2016 at 11:57:35

Hi

I have just bought 'Jasta', a Mk2 currently based in Essex

In need of a lot of TLC, and has been sat in a yard for 5 years unused and covered in muck! Scrubbing brush at the ready!

Lots of work planned, but I thought I would say hello and enquire if anyone has come across her before and knows a little of her history?

Will upload some pictures of as found state and progress soon

Plan is to make her seaworthy and then take her down to the south coast (Hamble or Poole)

Cheers
Paul

IP Logged
Poll
Boatswain Mate

Love the water !

Re: Jasta
Reply #1 - 11.05.2016 at 20:48:16

Hi Paul and welcome! Get some pictures posted if you can and welcome to the club  Wink

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #2 - 12.05.2016 at 19:34:17

When I try and load pictures, I get a random 'an error occurred' message
Any suggestions?

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #3 - 16.05.2016 at 20:16:06

Welcome!

Tips on using the forum here.

http://trapperyachts.org.uk/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1228664688

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #4 - 16.05.2016 at 20:57:47

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #5 - 16.05.2016 at 21:00:44

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #6 - 16.05.2016 at 21:01:46

Thanks Andy

Some pictures of the as found state (hopefully!)

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #7 - 16.05.2016 at 21:10:53

and after a weekend of scrubbing, there is the makings of a good boat under the dirt.

Now to polish the hull, antifoul, replace windows and washboards, new rigging, servicing etc etc etc  Cry

Ive set a target of a month to get her back afloat. I can then slowly repair and upgrade whilst sailing her!

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #8 - 17.05.2016 at 11:42:49

Looks like a good buy.  However it is amazing what you find needs replacing and fixing once you start.

You mensioned washboards.  Have a look at this link.  Boats don't need to be drab!  This is just the original boards, rubbed down and then 3 coats of primer and 3 of topcoat.  The tiller is in the same colour as is the UV strip on the genoa.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ej60gyvle846sjl/Summer%20washboards.JPG?dl=0

Here link to all the photos

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n4xcy01vj8ke4eq/AABlQEwxtUOX8LM4sGuZsawOa?dl=0

I'm hoping to set off this weekend now she seems water-tight.

Enjoy Jasta

Justin

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #9 - 17.05.2016 at 16:47:36

Hi Paul,

Ahoy!
'Jasta' has cleaned up pretty nicely and appears to be in good shape.
As Justin said though the more you delve into things the more work you discover needs done though it's all just personal preference as to how much work you wish to do and when to repair, improve or upgrade.
You'll find a few of the people on the forum at various stages of improvement on their boats and it's great for advice, ideas or inspiration, just keep the pics coming of the progressing works and developments.
Best of luck and happy sailing.

Stevie  Cheesy

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #10 - 21.05.2016 at 10:15:16

Hello Paul & welcome to the T300 community.
I have owned Star Trapper since 1985 but have not come across Jasta before.
Is there a hull number - would be on a plate behind the rudder stock?
Clearly not the original hull finish which would have been two tone gel.
Any evidence of a previous name?
Meanwhile good luck with the recommissioning.
John

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #11 - 22.05.2016 at 08:09:09

Hi all, thanks for the words of encouragement

A busy long weekend on the boat so far!

Winches serviced, injection pump rebuilt and engine now running, running rigging replaced and more cabin scrubbing etc! Ive also started to buff the hull with a compound and am stunned at the results. The heavy oxidation has started to go, leaving a remarkable shiny original gel coat under it  Grin

John, I had a look for the hull number, but couldn't see it. Is it in the cockpit or inside the inspection hatch?

She is a 1982 Mk 2, who appears to have spent all of her life hidden in an Essex backwater. Jasta appears to be her original name as I could see a shadow of previous graphics whilst buffing the hull. No two tone either, the hull is all white and under the oxidation, in surprisingly good condition.

Plenty still to do prior to launch:

Finish hull polish
Fit new VHF
Washboards
New log housing
Antifoul
Service stern gland & sea cocks
Fit sails
LAUNCH!

Ive got some time off coming up, and have set myself a target of 2 weeks to get her sailing (Nothing like blind optimism!)

Will post pictures later

One question if I may?
The anchor locker was a picture of filth and decay. Have unearthed 2 boat lengths of chain in not too bad condition and 4 boat lengths of very tired anchor plait. I may keep the chain and replace the rope. How much rope / chain do people carry?

Cheers!

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #12 - 22.05.2016 at 09:41:32

Hi Paul

The hull number plate would have been just behind the rudder stock & clearly visible. Only glued on & frequently came adrift.
Re the hull it would appear to have either been regelled or repainted at some stage. All T300 top sides were original in two tone gel, literally 50:50- provided for in original mould, which I have seen. Good news yours has at some stage been refurbished. Let us know if your Hamble plans develop. Deacons Boatyard there (where Star Trapper resides) was the original home of Trapper yachts.

http://www.trapper300.org.uk/boatlist.htm gives a hopelessly out of date list of T300's

Re  anchor chain/warp, length depends on max depth you intend to anchor in. ST has 20m chain & 50m warp to cope with tidal range in Channel Islands. Much less ok for Solent. 3* max depth if chain, 5* depth if warp

John

« Last Edit: 22.05.2016 at 09:45:52 by John Woodhouse »  
  IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #13 - 22.05.2016 at 19:45:36

My hull was apparently moulded in 1984 and has a strange hull number 7/84 although she was built and sold in 1986.  This number is found moulded into the gel coat at the very back top edge on the port side about an inch from the transom.

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #14 - 22.05.2016 at 20:28:10

Justin wrote on 22.05.2016 at 19:45:36:
My hull was apparently moulded in 1984 and has a strange hull number 7/84 although she was built and sold in 1986.  This number is found moulded into the gel coat at the very back top edge on the port side about an inch from the transom.

Interesting. ST was built in 1978 & hull no is 101. I was around at Deacons from 1984 & at that time they did have one or two moulded hulls still to be completed - that was at the end of T300 production.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print