Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Re: Jasta
Reply #15 - 23.05.2016 at 18:30:08

Justin

Quote:
My hull was apparently moulded in 1984 and has a strange hull number 7/84 although she was built and sold in 1986. This number is found moulded into the gel coat at the very back top edge on the port side about an inch from the transom.

7/84 probably relates to the month and year ie July 1984 methinks?

From Johns list of 300s I see that Carpe Diem was originally named Maggie May when she was built unless I have someone else's sails secondhand??

Stevie Smiley

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #16 - 23.05.2016 at 18:42:31

I recollect Maggie May from about 30 years ago in the Hamble - in those days with blue/white topsides. I knew the then owner but cannot remember the name! If memory serves me correctly he went on to buy what was/is a comparatively rare Trapper 30 called Jemima Puddleduck

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #17 - 23.05.2016 at 20:29:50

Hi all

The original paperwork appears to have been found with the boat and is on its way to me, so hopefully that will yield a hull number!

Pictures as promised:

Hull oxidation removal, stunned at the before and after:

Running rigging dumped, that locker lid needs replacing too

New fitted

and the cabin is starting to feel more homely

Fore cabin emptied of horrors and now needs a scrub and the Lav replacing

Also, thanks for the advice on anchor kit.
The original anchor and 16M of chain look OK, just need a new shackle. The warp is dead and will be binned. 40m of 12mm anchor plait on order.
A look in the anchor locker revealed that the top pf the locker has been glassed to the hull, great news and one less job to do. It also revealed under the warp 30 years / 6 inches of muck! Will hit it with a trowel and jet wash at the weekend.

More soon, bankruptcy imminent  Grin

ps launch provisionally booked for 2 weeks time. Any views on sailing her from Essex to the Solent (I've done it before and its a slog) vs transport overland? If you know any good/cheap transport companies, I would appreciate being put in touch.

Cheers!

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #18 - 23.05.2016 at 20:32:51

Some pictures didn't load, try again. . .

Oxidation removal, before and after

Shiny!

The gelcoat on the hull looks original and is all white interestingly

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #19 - 24.05.2016 at 19:55:45

Looking good Paul. I would put money on the topsides originally being two tone, 50:50 from toe rail to waterline. It could well have been regelled if definitely not paint. I had Star Trapper regelled some years ago by Osmotec at Hamble Point. They used a spray process & it has stood the test of time.
Do you have a Solent mooring sorted out yet? Re getting there maybe pray for a few days of easterlies! I agree a tough sail especially with 7 hour flood & only 5 hour ebb from your direction.
Re transport Deacons Boatyard regularly has boats delivered by trailer - they must have some contacts.

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #20 - 04.07.2016 at 16:30:06

Hi all

Just an update, after a few weeks of hard work Jasta is now afloat on the south coast and ready for the summer. She sails beautifully and I'm very pleased with her.

Thanks to all who offered advice, it was very much appreciated and special thanks to John Woodhouse who gave so much help and advice.

I think all told, she took about 150 hours of work to get into a usable state and she still has minor bits and bobs to do but the main projects are done and include:

Hull polishing & renovation
Antifouling
Service seacocks (most has seized)
Overhauled stern gland including new rubber hose element
Mast refurb, spreader repair and new running & standing rigging
Engine injection pump rebuild and all new fuel system seals (it leaked like a sieve!)
New law & pipes
New windows
Sink tap overhaul
New cockpit locker lid
Refit guard rail wires
Refit sails (turned out to be in good condition!)
New radio
Disposal of a skip full of the owners old junk, only to be replaced with a skip full of mine Smiley
Instrument rewire
and much scrubbing

A couple of jobs outstanding, the propshaft is a little off true, will wait until the winter and the cockpit floor anti slip needs recovering

Otherwise, I've found the T300 to be a great little boat Smiley
Give me a wave if you see me on the solent!

Paul

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #21 - 05.07.2016 at 07:42:29

Hi Paul
Many thanks for your kind words but all praise to you for rescuing a near abandoned boat & putting in all that work to get it back in commission. Delighted you are enjoying the sailing. Have a great season!.............John

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #22 - 07.07.2016 at 16:30:52

Hi Paul

Jasta has 'scrubbed' up fantastically.
All that hard work has paid off and in such a short time as well.
Time to enjoy some sailing now!

Stevie Cheesy

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #23 - 30.10.2016 at 21:58:05

Well Jasta is out of the water again for a month of maintenance on the underside

Started scrapping 30 years of antifoul off today. The good news is, she has been epoxied Smiley The bad news is 4 hours scrapping had limited progress. Will ask the yard to blast it! The hull is in surprisingly good condition. Grotty job though

Also dropped the rudder, a little play in the bearings but I think they will do another season. The propshaft is a little bent, so will be replaced. Removed it and cleaned the prop up. Anode about 50% eaten away in only 5 months on the Hamble!

Jobs to do:

Bottom striped (blasted)
Keel epoxied
Bottom prime and antifoul
Pin stripes removed and replaced
Hull clean, cut and polish
New name graphics
New propshaft
Service seacocks

Should keep me out of mischief for a month?

Cheers!

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #24 - 31.10.2016 at 16:14:27

Well done Paul.
Nearest port of call for delryn rudder bearings & prop shafts would be Marine Power. I have a good source for vinyl graphics if required.
When ashore I have three lists: outside, inside & bu**eration for things I wasn't aware of. This latter list was commendably short last year.
Good luck with the programme.
John
PS were you about to put the prop in the washing machine?!

« Last Edit: 31.10.2016 at 16:29:25 by John Woodhouse »  
  IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #25 - 31.10.2016 at 19:31:08

Thanks John
I've tried a couple of times to engage with Marine Power regarding the propshaft and they really had no interest. Disappointing really, as everything else about Deacons has been first rate.

Interested in your views on delryn rudder bearings as Jasta appears to have metallic bearings top and bottom (they look bronze). A little play in them, but replacement can wait until next year.

A source of graphics always welcome!
Have used https://www.thegraphicsboat.co.uk/lettering-designer.html to date and found them very good

Cheers

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #26 - 31.10.2016 at 19:57:48

Hi Paul

Pete Stephens who owned Marine Power retired last year. Now owned by Deacons parent company general manager is Sean Frow. If service has slipped that would be bad news. Certainly two prop shafts on ST made by MP over the years. Fitted current 1GM10 engine about ten years ago & looked after it since. Maybe a quiet word with Nick Gill?
My rudder bearings are bronze fittings top & bottom that have a delryn liner - basically a type of plastic that does not expand/contract in sea water. I have had these liners replaced several times over the years - & 44,000 miles. Rudder stock of course is stainless steel.
Contact for vinyl is Signpost Express, Newport IOW. Contact is Laura Stocker, banners@signpostexpress.co.uk, 01983 821778. Used extensively by me for aeroplane decals at Brooklands Museum - also my tender! These people did the decals for the X Solent hovercraft.

John

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #27 - 31.10.2016 at 20:53:20

Thanks again John!

Ive given MP two opportunities with the propshaft. They have had their chance. There is a local company to me that is likely to get the business.

Nick has been great though, he pulled Jasta out on Friday and left her by the crane so I could make a mess over the weekend. Even went as far as to move her over the grating and ensure I had water and power on Sunday. I couldn't ask more.

The liner on the rudder is interesting. Does it sit inside the bearings?
The lack of liner would explain the play on my rudder! Mine is a metal on metal arrangement.

44k miles is impressive, I have some catching up to do!
I must say, i'm really impressed by the little Trapper. Ive got several thousand miles experience in a variety of boats and also my yachtmaster, but she is really putting a smile on my face like no other I've sailed! Smiley

Cheers!

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #28 - 01.11.2016 at 11:19:57

I used grachicsboat too for Harlequin's graphics and my Flying Fifteen Ffutility and am very happy with the results.

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #29 - 01.11.2016 at 21:24:43

Looking good! Scraping the bottom is a horrible job! What scraper are you using? These ones are the best, made by 'Gelplane' http://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en/gb/Gelplane-The-Pro-Scraper-Hull-Scraper/m-1...

Prop looks a bit pitted or is it just the picture.. I have a nearly new propeller for sale that came off "Crazy Horse" when i fitted the folding prop. Had only been on there in the water about 4 months. For a 3/4" shaft with standard 1:12 taper and bought from C&O engineering to go with my yanmar ysb8. Made 6knots under power with it. Looking for 100 for it if its of any use.

Andy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print