Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Jasta (Read 13687 times)
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Re: Jasta
Reply #30 - 02.11.2016 at 17:26:05

Hi Andy, if the costs are reasonable I'm going to have the hull blasted and keel re-epoxied

The propellor is badly pitted and needs replacing! You prop sounds good, but sadly I have a 7/8 shaft so it won't fit   Sad

Cheers

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #31 - 02.11.2016 at 20:26:30

It is the best way. If you are going to the expense of blasting an epoxying the keel, now might be the time to consider copper coat..

Shame about the shaft size. It's criminal for the prop to be sat here almost brand new.

« Last Edit: 02.11.2016 at 20:27:17 by Andy »  
  IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #32 - 02.11.2016 at 20:37:53

Thanks Andy, not sold on Coppercoat at the moment so will stick with AF

I agree on the prop. My current one only does 4-5 knots max and looks on its last legs!

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #33 - 02.11.2016 at 22:29:27

Personally agree on copper coat. I would never us it on mine but thats because i don't like the colour and i like to sand and inspect the hull annually and put a fresh coat of AF on. Just if you do decided you want to copper coat you will have to do the whole anitfoul removal thing all over again...

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #34 - 03.11.2016 at 17:39:54

Hi Paul

I took the liberty of having a look at Jasta today. I have to say the hull looks in pretty good condition - unlike some I have seen over the years!
I took the liberty of shaking the rudder & it seems free of water inside. Quite a few T300/500/501 rudders have water sloshing around.
A couple of observations if I may:
1) the bottom rudder bearing is loose within the grp. The bronze fitting should be firm up against the housing. On the subject of delryn liner I would put money on your bearings being so equipped. Otherwise the bearing would be stainless steel on bronze??
2) the cutlass bearing has seen better days - hardly surprising with a bent shaft

Re props I have one available! Pic attached view from rear. 7/8" shaft, size 12*8. Only on my previous YS engine for a short time. Had to replaced for 1GM10 as different rotation. Pretty well as new.

All the best.......John

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #35 - 04.11.2016 at 08:14:55

Hi John and thanks for the feedback

I bought the boat looking very sorry for herself because I could see the basics were sound under all the grot and neglect, so appreciate your comments

She has been epoxied and in reasonable shape, and having sat in the hard for years should be dry! The blasting quote finally came in at £900 so back to scraping this weekend 😩

I ordered a new shaft yesterday and intend to also change the cutlass bearing, as you say it has seen better days

Had the rudder off on Sunday and also noted the lower bearing is loose. Do you know how they are fixed in place? Are they glassed or silkaflex?

Interested in your prop, the original is pitted. How many beer tokens would be required?

Cheers!

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #36 - 04.11.2016 at 09:13:12

Hi Paul  - good luck with the scraping, been there done that got the T shirt. Time to get fair weather crew on the job!

Re rudder bearings on ST the horizontal flanges are fixed with set screws to the GRP. The two bearings, maybe 2-3" in length are connected with a plastic/rubber tube, fixed with jubilee clips, to keep water out. Almost impossible to get at!
Will send email re prop.
John

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #37 - 17.11.2016 at 19:59:01

Quick update, getting there!

Just one small part of the hull to strip and prime.

Still to do:
Fair the fin, antifoul, swap cutless, fit prop and shaft, regrease sea cocks, secure rudder bearing and polish the hull.

Have 5 working days on it left so not flapping yet! The yard have also kindly agreed to leave her in slings over the weekend prior to launch so I can deal with the patches under the stand supports. Result!

Cheers

ps stripping the hull is the singular most unpleasant job Ive done on a boat!

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #38 - 20.11.2016 at 21:31:58

Well done Paul - looking good!
About to prepare ST for lift out next week.............John

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #39 - 09.12.2016 at 12:12:30

Hi Paul - I see Jasta back in the briny. You have clearly worked very hard & must be pleased with the results.
ST now ashore & yours truly working through the jobs list!.........John

« Last Edit: 09.12.2016 at 12:13:19 by John Woodhouse »  
  IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #40 - 09.12.2016 at 15:57:20

Thanks John, she is indeed back in and I'll put the sails back on this weekend. The work required was a lot more than expected! Had a nightmare replacing the bent propshaft / cutlass bearing and ended up needing a new P bracket too 🙈. Fortunately all now fixed and the boat runs so much smoother under power!

I saw ST out, she looks in great shape!
Was particularly impressed with your gel coat, mine hasn't polished up as good as yours, although Jasta does now have a shine!

As for my decks, they are starting to clean up but has anyone found an effective way to tidy up the non slip areas? I don't want to cut and polish them or they will be too slippery. Any thoughts?

Cheers!

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #41 - 10.12.2016 at 22:13:12

Hi Paul,

Wow you've managed a lot of work in such a short space of time absolutely fantastic!
Was the P bracket damaged cos of the bent prop shaft?
There's a design for a cutluss press that can be fabricated fairly easily that I have copied as 'Carpe's' will need to be replaced over the next couple of years. Were you made aware the shaft was bent when you bought her?
How did you access the gearbox to uncouple the shaft?
I ask these questions to gain experience,  as with the overhaul of my Volvo Penta MD5 engine I have had to sit down and either fabricate tool extensions or work out how to access parts of the engine/drive that are totally inaccessible.
I don't feel easy with cutting an access panel in the cockpit floor for helping access those engine components?
I'm certainly no expert but will continual annual polishing of the gel coat not bring about glass like finish?
My non slip looked grubby too, what I did to clean it was thick toilet bleach 50/50 with water and scrubbed it into deck with a stiff brush leave it for at least 30 mins and then low pressure power wash off.
As I said before this is my first ever boat, I may not be doing the right thing but until I can find a right or a wrong or am told differently, then it seems to work.
Is the paint worn? Can it not be polished back to a shine then 'sealed'? I don't know? If you cut it how can you be sure there's still a layer of paint underneath to polish?
Maybe not much of a help here Paul but I can get some answers from other too.
I take it your back stay was released for the lift was the mast secured with the topping lift?
Sorry for all the questions when you're needing an answer, but it's one big learning curve for me!
Anyways enough of my questions, time for a beer..

Cheers Paul

Stevie
Cheesy

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #42 - 11.12.2016 at 10:15:00

Hi Stevie
Not to preempt Paul's reply, here is my two pennyworth:
1) uncoupling shaft - certainly with YS8 & 1GM10 engine - accessible from cockpit locker. A real so&so if you wear varifocals. Agree an access panel a no no.
2) polishing gel coat a bit like the car - more frequent the better. I find the transom, facing upwards, weathers more than hull. I use gel based  hull cleaner - oxalic acid based - to clean yellowed water line
3) re decks & non slip I use a boat cleaner containing oxalic acid. Cleans gel & teak a treat.Scrub on & wait a while then rinse. In Hamble area I find needs to be repeated regularly - used to be fall out from Calshot power station. Polishing non slip areas not recommended!
4) re cutlass bearing yours truly a wimp & subcontracted to yard! With prop shaft removed can be hacksawed from inside to collapse. I belive Marine Power have used both pullers & drifts, after removing locating grub screw of course.

Paul - re Marine Power, general manager Sean Frow has departed - draw your own conclusions. Young man Dan currently holding fort while recruiting takes place.
All the best.........John

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #43 - 12.12.2016 at 07:19:14

Hi all

Stevie/John some further commentary on your comments below

1) uncoupling shaft - you can get in there two ways. Either through the locker, I have a removable wooden partition and access is poor. You have to kneel in the cockpit and lean in and reach under the cockpit. The other way is to remove the battery under the quarter berth and get in that way. A little more complicated, but at least the blood doesn't rush to your head. My coupling is secured using allen keys headed bolts. Soak them in anti seize for a few days and you will be surprising how quickly it all comes apart. I can get the rudder off and propshaft out in about 30 mins. When it is all in piece, the stern gland is a 10 minute job to repack.

2) Hull polishing, Jasta was VERY oxidised when I got her. Several sessions with a power polisher and heavy, then medium rubbing compound and then a good polish has worked remarkably well. I also repainted the pinstripes and replaced the graphics and should looks a lot tidier. I still have some crazing in the gel though and can't meets Johns spotless appearance on ST

3) re decks & non slip, have been using Star Brite deck cleaner. Really brings it up well, but the deck isnt sealed and absorbs dirt. The yard guys walked all over her in muddy shoes and its taking ages to get clean. Have bought a large container of Oxalic acid from eBay and will give that a go.

4) re cutlass bearing / P Bracket. This was an absolute nightmare.
The bent propshaft had totalled the cutlass bearing. The P bracket grub screw was seized, so when I cut the bearing into 4 and started to gently drift it out, the P bracket shattered. I wasn't a happy chap! Looks like the bent propshaft had weakened the bracket and it was ready to break. I was up against a relaunch deadline, so had the yard fabricate a new bracket in stainless. They also fitted it for me and had a hell of a job. The internal bolts had been filled over with car body filler and glass tape which had to be cut back. They found no substantial washers anther the mounting bolts and the whole thing wasn't that well put together. Now redone with a decent stainless backing plate but an expense I could have done without just before xmas

John, I heard Marine Power wasn't doing to well. Strange really as they are very busy, you would think they would be able to make a viable business of it. I didn't realise Sean had gone, I always found him very helpful. They did miss a lot of opportune business though, after a number of attempts to get them to make a propshaft for me, I went elsewhere.

Cheers!

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #44 - 13.12.2016 at 20:03:47

Stainless P bracket. Interesting choice. Not one I've come across before personally. Usually always brass/bronze..? Is it connected to an anode?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print