Send Topic Print
Jasta (Read 10137 times)
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Re: Jasta
Reply #45 - 13.12.2016 at 21:51:06

Hi Andy

Was unable to source a bronze/brass platform P bracket, and a number of places wanted to cast one for me with long lead times. The yard have a stainless fabricator who made one up in a few days at a similar price.

No anode, will see if it erodes. If it has dissolved by next summer, i will let you know!

Cheers

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #46 - 14.12.2016 at 09:29:57

Andy/Paul
ST has a stainless P bracket. Original bronze one picked up a pot buoy outside Poole harbour & cracked. As with Paul quicker to fabricate ss replacement. Been fitted for a good 15 years. Yes, protected with a circular button anode bolted through the web.
On same subject at one time stern gland outer was brass or bronze & nearly disappeared! Since then gland with "plastic" outer & no problem.
John

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #47 - 14.12.2016 at 18:10:34

Thanks John. Does your button anode on the P bracket suffer much erosion?

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #48 - 14.12.2016 at 21:13:18

From my experience any stainless steel that is underwater should be galvanically connected to an anode to prevent corrosion. Im pretty sure stainless needs oxygen to actually maintain its corrosion resistant properties. Does jasta have a main hull anode that join could connect a wire between it and the p bracket? This is why any stainless steel skin fittings have a screw on the washer for connecting a wire to. Would hate for you to haul out next year and find it's been eaten..

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #49 - 15.12.2016 at 09:42:19

Hi Paul
P bracket anode certainly replaced annually. In addition I have another anode over the side when parked. This is connected to P bracket via a wire to retaining nut inside hull & quick release connector in cockpit.
ST has always managed to chew its' way through anodes every season. Never managed to ascertain why when neighbouring boats suffer less.

I plan to be down this Saturday rubbing & scrubbing if you are around.
Andy - I am sure you make a good point here.
John

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #50 - 15.12.2016 at 12:47:17

Thanks for the advice guys

I only have a single anode on the shaft, and it suffered a lot of erosion this year in a very short period of time. John I like the idea of wiring it all together and dropping an anode over the side as your suggest. A project for the Xmas period! I can then put a more permanent solution in place the next time she is out of the water.

I'm also down on the coast this weekend, will pop over and say hello

Cheers

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #51 - 15.12.2016 at 13:48:15

Hi Guys,

Paul, what about a protective coating something like polyurethane for the steel p bracket.
I worked a few years ago on the Forth Bridge and the new paint was protected with a final layer of a glass flake coating as they use on oil rig legs that would last 25 years.

John, main reason why some boats in marinas corrode quicker than other is due to shore supply connections and Earthing arrangements in the boats themselves. Whether to bond 12 volt and 230 volt Earthing together is much debated topic, most relates to metal hulls but GRP is mentioned and as talked about on other threads bonding for lightning strikes is thrown into the mix too.
If you are at anchor John then are you hanging the anode on 'heavy' galvanised wire?
Try changing to an aluminium anode instead?
The more dissimilar metals the more quicker the anode will dissolve

Need to go work calls...

Stevie
Angry

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #52 - 16.12.2016 at 15:03:42

Thanks Stevie
When boat berthed there is no connection to shore power & batteries isolated via OFF switch. Has been ever thus***
My overboard anode certainly gets eaten away so clearly of benefit.
I can confirm my anode methodology has kept everything underneath from being nibbled.
I should add engine anode (1GM10) also changed annually & usually half eaten.
*** I just wonder whether cause could be very large steel breakwater at Moody's is very close, five thousand adjacent boats probably mains connected, salt water conducts electricity & therefore Bob is one's uncle?
John

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #53 - 15.02.2017 at 23:17:55

Just a quick progress update

I have the original YSM8 engine fitted, runs smoothly but was a bugger to start! Had to resort to a hot air gun in the intake during the frost a couple of weeks ago and decided something had to be done.

Spent today taking the cylinder head off and regrinding the valves. Inlet was leaking badly and both inlet and exhaust mating surfaces pitted. All removed by grinding. Rest of the engine in good condition, rebuilt with fresh head gasket and she fired up immediately! Im stunned at the difference, can even start the engine easily by hand Smiley

Few more jobs on the to do list this week. Fit a toe rail cleat on the Std side, reroute the furling line down the port side. Also fit flush deck vents. I have upright vents which catch the genoa sheets at the moment and have a habit of launching into the sea during quick tacks. At 30 a go, i need an alternative!

Must say, I'm enjoying the T300 performance. They are built a little haphazardly, but slowly ironing out the bugs.

Roll on spring

Cheers

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #54 - 17.02.2017 at 21:49:56

Good to hear the original engine is getting some love! They are really strong engines if looked after properly. 'Crazy Horse' is still running the original YSB8 from 1978 and it starts on the button. Regrinding the valves has been on the list a few years now but it hasn't ever let me down yet so hasn't managed to climb high enough up that list...

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #55 - 19.02.2017 at 19:53:48

Hi Andy

They are strong, and simply. My lawnmower engine is more complex!
If yours is running well, I'd suggest leaving well alone. Gaskets are rare and expensive and if anything breaks, its hard to get spares and you can easily end up with a written off engine.

That said, just been cruising all weekend in some lovely weather and the engine ran like a dream. Life doesn't get better Smiley

Cheers

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #56 - 19.03.2017 at 20:20:57

Had a tense few moments last weekend when I experienced total electrical failure while single handing in thick mist and twilight, fortunately a wiggle / light percussion (?!) of the electrical panel and it woke back up!

This weekend swapped out the panel and undid 30 years of cumulative electrical bodges.

Does triggers broom spring to mind with this boat??

New mainsail ordered though and she is in great shape ready for the summer. Can't wait 😀

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print