Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Trapper Owner Association
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Insurance - Survey - Gas (Read 2100 times)
Jonathan
Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Bromley
Insurance - Survey - Gas
18.05.2016 at 14:39:41

I have just renewed the insurance for Azurian and they have told me that because the boat is 1980 built they will not be able to renew it in 2017 without a survey. I have managed to avoid surveys up to now and have been with Nautical of Southend for some years.

I have a particular concern that a survey will condemn the TS240 sliding galley arrangement with its length of loose flexible hose and also may require a sealed gas locker with an overboard drain which I cannot see easily fitted or without some ugly monstrosity. I guess this is why people switch to spirit stoves but I do not want to give up the gas - I do enjoy toast and marmalade on a Summer morning.

Has the sliding galley with gas been found acceptable on a survey or what solutions have other owners found?

I fear I may have to opt for 3rd party only cover. Anyway I am dubious insurers would pay out my current valuation of £6,500 which I think is even a bit mean but the current state of the market seems to mean people struggle to sell at fair prices.

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Re: Insurance - Survey - Gas
Reply #1 - 18.05.2016 at 16:37:33

Hi Jonathan,

Have you tried other insurance companies?
I also shop around when renewing my insurance however most companies now want a a copy of a recent survey or a new one or they just will not insure you.
The company I am with are happy to insure without a survey (so far, touch wood) and the cost seems fine.
So you're choices are upgrade the gas system ,change fuel to spirit stove type and/ or organise a survey.
I had a thread about this a few months ago about fitting a locker and renewing the pipework while I'm refitting 'Carpe Diem' though I'm toying with the idea of putting it off for another time as it's a lot of effort when my insurance company will still insure her.
Not an agent for company or on commission but if you want to PM me I will give you name of company, though if you shop around you may find some others.
I avoid the ones that say you need to phone them after giving all the details online cos after about 15 mins on phone the survey question pops up and bingo they can't insure you, utter waste of time!!!
Gets the blood boiling faster than a gas stove haha.

Stevie  Angry

IP Logged
Paul
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 18.05.2016 at 19:42:57

Hi, Jonathan,
Firstly dont panic!
Good advice on checking out insurers as I had similar reuirement from one of the big insurers who took over the East Coast minnow I had used for years.Incidentally saved £95 on premium for same cover with smaller outfit.
Perhaps most important is your being totally satisfied that your arrangement is safe for YOU! If it is it should be OK with insurer.
For Nautibuoy I had friendly fabricator make a jar type  container with removable cover to hold gas bottle and regulator/valve. This was fitted in to rear of stbd locker with welded in connector for HD fire resistant fuel hose ( I think 25mmbore from memory)which is short distance to an existing drain in transom which had been sealed off previously.
Use copper pipe and bubble tester attached to welded in pipe to top side of container.
Regulator to inner part of this top pipe uses flexible tube as per long length to kitchen unit.
Copper pipe to inner wall adjacent to mid kitchen with on off valve to isolate cooker.
Essential that flex tubing in container and long kitchen flexible is as new as possible as the date printed on it is a major attraction to Surveyors - usually supplier wil have 6months or less date expired!!!
When installed I got a boat knowledgable GasSafe guy to inspect, test and issue a certificate. Surveyor/ Insurer more than happy.
Hope this helps though Insurer will perhaps be equally interested in Structural integrity.
When I bought Nautibuoy the surveyor was concerned at moisture meter readings ahead and behind keelbox on hull. As she is a very dry boat his conjecture of poss osmosis was OTT . It took me a while to convince him and Insurer that moisture meters love readings from buried keel box lower buried fabrication. Not quite Osmosis!!!
Hope this helps
Paul
Paul

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #3 - 19.05.2016 at 11:04:16

Yachting24 didn't require a survey for my 1986 Trapper 300.  Premium is about £150. I've recently renewed without any issues.

IP Logged
Jonathan
Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Bromley
Reply #4 - 26.05.2016 at 16:55:05

Thanks Justin. That is really interesting. I have just visited their site and input my details so will see what comes back. The Price looks OK but the devil can be in the detail.

I see their site says they accept boats up to 40 years old so they might take my TS240 as Nautical told me the problem was only arising next year because it was 1980 built and so had crossed some sort of age threshold.

My concern about a survey is that it may throw up a whole catalogue of jobs to do because the surveyors are so litigation conscious. I have had the boat since 1990 so there isn't much I have not dismantled and put back together or renewed in that time so I am pretty familiar with its condition and quite happy with its seaworthiness. Seeing some of the conditions it has come through I would not want to go out otherwise.

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #5 - 27.05.2016 at 08:11:55

Carpe Diem is a 1981 300 and insured through Yachting 24 and the premium is the same as Justins £150 so you should have no worries getting cover

IP Logged
Jonathan
Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Bromley
Reply #6 - 14.06.2016 at 13:57:49

Thanks Guys,

I had a quote back from Yachting 24. The price is good and the policy wording is very close to what I have had in recent years and no mention of a survey anywhere.

I had been a bit put off because it looked like a scheme run from Germany but I see they have a UK office in Plymouth which I hope is a bit more than a letterbox and anyway some of the insurers are known international names. I used to work in insurance so I know a lot can be down to how they interpret things in the event of a claim rather than the wording. I have never made a claim so have nothing to compare and my current scheme is underwritten at Lloyds where they certainly know how to be difficult if they choose.

It looks like Yachting 24 will a hassle free solution when renewal comes around.

IP Logged
murray caldwell
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Reply #7 - 14.06.2016 at 18:35:54

FYI i insure my Trapper 500 with Yachting 24 and have had a claim with them. I found them most helpful and got the go-ahead for a new mast within 24 hours and they were happy to pay the supplier or refund me. A great company to deal with.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print