Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Trapper Owner Association
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any Experience with a Yanmar YSB 12 Engine. (Read 1990 times)
Heber
Seaman Apprentice

If I knew then!

Carlingford Ireland
Any Experience with a Yanmar YSB 12 Engine.
05.08.2016 at 21:57:29

I have recently purchased hull number 376 which I am calling Hawk Moon II
She was previously known as “Wild Thing”, Bally jigger” and “Tekneke II”.  And has been maintained well by her previous owners.

The engine is a Yanmar YSB 12 which may well be the original engine in the boat.
There is a plate on the back of the engine stating Continuous Rating (HP) 10, 1 Hour Rating (HP) 12.
Crank Shaft (RPM) 3000, Prop Shaft (RPM) 1518.

She currently has a 22mm shaft with a 12’’ x 9’’ 3 blade propeller.  It is my intention to put a 12’’ x 10’’ 3 blade prop on her.

The clearance above the 12’’ prop is marginal but I don’t want to go down in diameter.

Has anybody had any experience with this engine and a 12’’ x 10’’ 3 Blade set up?

In addition has anybody had any experience with setting up a rev counter and or a temperature measurement system? It is my intention to try and record a profile for the engine in terms of RPM and Temperature before I put the bigger prop on her.

My previous yacht was Hawk Moon, no hull number, a trapper 28 and I have upsized to a trapper 500.  The sale of Hawk Moon was a bit of a financial OH! But if one thinks of her in terms of a pet dog you would say, she has gone to a good home.

Regards Heber

Heber Heber   IP Logged
Nick
Forum Administrator

A bear of little
brain

Dorset
Re: Any Experience with a Yanmar YSB 12 Engine.
Reply #1 - 05.08.2016 at 22:14:05

We had a YSB8 in our Virgo Voyager, but we fitted a YSG12 in our 501. It was a long time ago but I think it was a 12x10. Was great though the engine did fail when the crankshaft seal went and all the engine oil went into the gearbox.

I think the YSG has a cast iron gearbox.

Nick
WWW   IP Logged
Gary
Very Old Salt

I'd rather be on the
boat

Poole
Reply #2 - 10.08.2016 at 15:44:06

When we put the Nanni 15 hp in Charisma we changed to a 12 X10. As you say the clearsnce isn't great but in 10 years plus we never saw any damage to the hul or movement on the P Braket. Improved stopping and better economy.

IP Logged
Heber
Seaman Apprentice

If I knew then!

Carlingford Ireland
Reply #3 - 10.08.2016 at 22:03:22

Hi Gary,   (I had sent a thanks email reply to Nick above)

Thanks for the reply.    I am going to go ahead and get the 12” x 10” X3 Blade propeller.

At 75% engine rpm I was only getting 3.7Kn and you can’t go anywhere fast at that rate.
This speed was also confirmed by the GPS at the same time.

I will let you know how I get on.

Is there anybody out there actually using a Yanmar YSB 12 in a trapper 500/501.

Regards Heber

Heber Heber   IP Logged
Nick
Forum Administrator

A bear of little
brain

Dorset
Reply #4 - 10.08.2016 at 22:11:05

Terry had one but he has sold the boat now

http://trapperyachts.org.uk/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1431374478/0

Nick
WWW   IP Logged
Heber
Seaman Apprentice

If I knew then!

Carlingford Ireland
Reply #5 - 11.08.2016 at 13:56:56

Hi Nick,

Yes, if the Terry you refer to is the Terry of Wild Thing then I know he had one.

That is because I have bought Wild Thing from Terry in March of this year.  I am renaming her to Hawk Moon II.  Hull Number 376.

Thanks Heber

Heber Heber   IP Logged
Monros
Seaman Apprentice

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 23.08.2016 at 12:27:16

Hello,

Our T500 build in 1977, still with his YSB 8 (only 9 CV) at 75% engine rpm can get 4.5 Kn o even a little more, only if the propeller is very clean, and the boat is not over loaded. It's enough for us because we don't make long travels, and we are doing mainly club races on Sundays. It's a 3 blade propeller (I don't have the real size at this moment). Previously it was a 2 blade propeller, I don't know if it was a really good change, we have an advice to make this change to 3 blades when we buy the boat in 2008.

Cool

Monros
Barcelona

IP Logged
Heber
Seaman Apprentice

If I knew then!

Carlingford Ireland
Reply #7 - 14.04.2017 at 10:23:17

Hi Guys,

Just an update.      I fitted a 12” x 10” x 3 blade prop and am achieving a steady 4.5kn and up to 5kn if conditions are good.   The YSB 12 has shown no signs of strain driving this propeller.

Just a comment re the YSB12 and the throttle setup.

First thing to note is that the tolerances in this are ridicules.
The problem was that the engine would cut out when in neutral.  Very long story short.  There is a spring as one of the linkages and what had happened was that the anchor loop of the spring had worn / extended the side of the hole in the leaver it was connecting to.   In the end I had to wire the spring back to the “far side” of the hole and the problem was resolved.  I was very lucky a friend just mentioned the possibility in passing one day.

Just for your information.

Regards Heber

Heber Heber   IP Logged
Jim
Seaman Recruit

Love the water !

Reply #8 - 19.08.2017 at 07:19:33

Heber

I have Kerima a 500 fitted with the original YSB 8. I found it under powered with the 12 x 8 two blade prop and after speaking with the very helpful folks at T Norris fitted a 12 x 10 three blade over the winter. The difference is tremendous, both in max and cruising speed but also in thrust for dealing with a 3 kt tidal current.

I'm not sure you would see the same benefits just moving up a size but worth visiting T Norris web site and speaking to them.

Jim

IP Logged
Heber
Seaman Apprentice

If I knew then!

Carlingford Ireland
Reply #9 - 24.08.2017 at 10:30:37

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your reply.

I have been a customer of T Norris for many years and it has been suggested by my friends that I could have a flight of replaced propellers like a flight of porcelain ducks mounted on my wall.

Yes the 12 x 10 x 3 blade has made a significant difference and the engine (YSB 12) has not shown any signs of strain as a result of the additional load.

Regards Heber

Heber Heber   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print