Boat Heating (Read 5754 times)
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Boat Heating
14.10.2016 at 15:47:02

Winter is coming and I'm thinking of keeping Harlequin afloat and only taking her out for a month max to install twin batteries and replace shrouds and backstay and some minor things.

So what are Trapper 300 owners options for heating the boat other than warm clothes, hot drinks and a hot water bottle?

Anyone got a charcoal burner?

I've no gas on board intentionally so am not interested in a Propex or other gas heater.

Eberspachers and the like are extortionate!  Also I've spent way over my budget on her already and am feeling rather guilty about sinking another 1200 on heating.

I have an oil lamp which kicks out some heat but I haven't been through a winter yet and didn't use it this summer as my LED lights proved to be excellent.

I've never been on a boat with heating so have no knowledge on this topic other than what I've picked up from searching the internet for ideas,

So anyone got any ideas.

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Re: Boat Heating
Reply #1 - 14.10.2016 at 17:17:23

Hi Justin,

I take it you're on a mooring with no shore supply?
Apart from thermal undies, a thermos flask for hot drinks is probably the best solution.
Unless you have or can get one of the 'suitcase gennys' to run a fan heater then not sure what other alternatives are.
Invertor from battery for a heater will just run it down rapidly.
If you're constantly on the move, wrapped up, it's amazing how much heat you will generate, I know as I worked outdoors in all weathers for years when I was on the tools, just go indoors when it rains.

Stevie

Wink

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #2 - 15.10.2016 at 10:32:20

Hello Justin
I too sail throughout the winter & keeping warm for me is a must. I agree Eberspacher installations are costly but do provide a warm & DRY interior. Avoid going on a boat with this or you will be converted pronto - I was!
As mentioned by Stevie a fan heater if electricity available does a fine job.
As a cheap alternative the following will do a good job : put an earthenware plant pot upside down on a cooker burner, set to low, & heat will be radiated. What do you cook with in the absence of gas?
Only negative is condensation.

John

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #3 - 15.10.2016 at 12:45:38

I took out the rusty old gas system and installed an Origo 3000 two burner meths hob gimballed with pan clamps.  I love it so very safe as long as the cabin is ventilated.  Only down side is no toast and a camping stand up attachment for toast produces only warm bread so I look forward to toast when I get home.  A very small sacrifice for all the pleasures of cruising otherwise.

I used a solar shower this summer which was very effective at anchor in Oxwich Bay.

I was thinking pf getting one or two of these to use on the Origo:

http://www.a2zcamping.co.uk/caravan-greenhouse-and-space-heaters/cozy-mini-heate...

Had a good review here:

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?421-At-last!-The-heating-ga...!

The suitcase generator and fan heater is a good idea but it is yet another thing to carry and store on an already overburdened small boat.

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #4 - 15.10.2016 at 12:54:54

Hi Justin - the Pyramid Cozy Mini Heater seems a variation on the plant pot method. Let us know how you get on. I see advert does refer to using on a gas heater. Given your toast problem (no such luxury breakfast on ST!), maybe try a plant pot first to check effectiveness?

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #5 - 15.10.2016 at 19:18:23

Hi Justin,

The fan heater is really no bigger than a toaster see the pic from 'Carpe'
You can pick up a 1kw genny for about 100 ish and they're not much bigger than a drill case though wider.
Plug it into your shore supply socket, keep it outside but covered from the wet and your 230 volt system is good to go provided you remember the max load of genny.
It'll give you power for a heater on a low to medium setting and/or power tools.
Just exercise caution using petrol.
Don't need to keep genny on boat as you can take it back and fore when going to boat and it's always another power source when needed or in emergency's.
I use both power and battery tools when working on 'Carpe' as the batteries on the tools needs swapping and recharging with all the jobs I'm doing.
If you plan on altering your battery system/storage your going to need a cutting tool, best one for intricate jobs is a dremel type tool with a diamond disc, remember mask and goggles.
Just a thought...

Stevie,

Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #6 - 16.10.2016 at 09:02:30

Very interesting.

How noisey are these small generators and do they run on 2 stroke or 4 stroke petrol?

How much fuel do they hold and how long does a tankful last?

Questions,questions...

Thanks

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #7 - 16.10.2016 at 12:06:05

Justin,

There are so many variables depending how much you wish to spend and your requirements.
There are silent suitcase gennys that are more expensive. Most seem to be about 85-95dB
Variable KW output the more power you want the more pricey the genny.
Some are 2 stroke some are 4 stroke.
Running on a tank can be 4hrs or longer depending on size on genny and how long it's run for on high loads.

Best advice is check Amazon, Ebay and Gumtree as they have all types to suit what you need.
Gumtree has some crackin' deals when I checked today all over UK, you might find one for sale right on your doorstep for buttons?

Stevie

Smiley

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #8 - 18.10.2016 at 13:21:25

Most appear to have 94dB(A) level at  7m.  Well, on an 8 m boat that means  
levels of over that.

I don't think it is a runner as it would upset others and I don't have room for a generator.

I think I'll just have to open the boat often to air and if I go anywhere take a fan heater or oil filled mini radiator to plug into shorepower in a marina.

I'm just concerned about dampness ruining the cushions etc..

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #9 - 19.10.2016 at 11:09:09

Justin,

Take all/ most of cushions home over winter and stock up on moisture traps as they do work.
Pound shops/ home bargains and the likes sell them a lot cheaper than what I've seen elsewhere.

Stevie

Wink

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #10 - 20.10.2016 at 16:16:02

By the way how do you guard against freezing engine cooling system?  When I've had Harlequin ashore for the winter I've run anti-freeze through the cooling system.

What do you do if the boat is in the water in commission so to speak?

Also has anyone had experience of a Taylors Parafin or Diesel heaters and if so where on earth can you fit one on a Trapper 300 Mk2?

IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #11 - 20.10.2016 at 16:54:01

Hi Justin,

Re:
By the way how do you guard against freezing engine cooling system?  When I've had Harlequin ashore for the winter I've run anti-freeze through the cooling system.

It probably depends on how often you plan to start the engine and either idle or actually take the boat out for a spin.
I presume it's raw water cooled therefore the salt water will have to be extremely cold to freeze.
If you're not going to be turning the engine for a few weeks or months then run your anti freeze through her.
Our boats are all ashore here until next April so most winterize their engines.
I also have a tube heater in engine bay that I power of shore supply to keep dampness out of engine and oil warm.
Previous owners had her in a marina and did the same.
I think 'carpe' was fitted with some sort of heater like you ask as there is an all metal vent beside galley vent in roof lining that has remains of flexi exhaust pipe inside it and large mounting screws were still in the bulkhead that I had to remove to plug, repair and varnish beside where the cooker sits on the MKII.

Stevie
Smiley

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #12 - 21.10.2016 at 09:37:50

Hi

Thanks for that.

Cardiff Bay is in fact freshwater which is what's got me thinking about freezing issues.

As I've got quite a bit to do to her I'm going to take her out as previously as Newport for the winter and winterise her as in previous years.

I'll postpone heating for another year therefore but I'll probably get one of those mini cosi stove top things and see how good they are, plus hot water bottle and use 2 sleeping bags for the Spring and Autumn nights.  Full heating probably isn't needed if not going through the winter. Smiley

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #13 - 23.10.2016 at 18:25:49

I measured the possible areas for a heater and found that there aren't any anywhere large enough anyway.

The only solution would be an Eberspacher or equivalent in the engine bay and they are just too expensive, sadly.

Never mind, it was just wishful thinking.

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #14 - 24.10.2016 at 16:44:26

Hi chaps

Been away so unable to assist etc. Some thoughts include:

If engine seawater cooled, ie no fresh water jacket, & used in salt water, anti freeze not necessary in my - south coast - experience

When boat ashore I turn engine on handle a few turns whenever on board - obviously decompressed! I reckon to get oil pressure light out before starting engine after layup to ensure bearings etc lubricated.
Seacocks always left open & this also helps to expel any remaining cooling water

Re damp etc flow of air through boat essential. ST has vents in forepeak & main washboards. Some times I have taken quarter berth & forepeak cushions home - if only to give more working space.

I agree Eberspacher a little pricey - just don't go on a boat so equipped!!! Don't forget the plant pot suggestion - costs nothing

John

« Last Edit: 24.10.2016 at 16:44:58 by John Woodhouse »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print