HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Boat Heating (Read 3615 times)
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Re: Boat Heating
Reply #15 - 28.10.2016 at 18:33:09

Chaps: re heating - on ST I have an oil light. A little bit of extra heat but basically a very warm glow.
Pic taken last night down the Folly Reach: warm cabin, venison steak with stir fry vegetables & a glass (or two) of Merlot. Bliss!!

« Last Edit: 28.10.2016 at 18:34:40 by John Woodhouse »  
  IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #16 - 28.10.2016 at 23:04:27

Looks tough John, I hope you survived Wink

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #17 - 29.10.2016 at 09:21:19

Just about Paul - had to cope with F2-3 on the beam on return to Hamble!

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #18 - 05.06.2017 at 18:05:57

Hi, John

My thoughts are turning to heating again.  Butler Technik have a very good offer on for Eberspacher.

https://www.butlertechnik.com/marine-heater-kits-c55/2kw-air-heaters-c56/eberspa...

Still almost 1000 but better than I've seen elsewhere.  Apparently they have made up the kit themselves from the marine parts hence a saving of about 400.

It looks as if I could install it in the engine bay on the starboard side but I'm wondering about fuel source.

I have a 22 litre steel diesel tank at the front of the cockpit locker.  Now that isn't very large.

John, what is your installation like?  What is your fuel capacity and have you taken feed off the main tank or what?  I had toyed with the idea of a separate say 10 litre tank but Butler Technic tell me that their one isn't for marine use!

https://www.butlertechnik.com/installation-accessories-c63/fuel-line-accessories...

Pity.  I don't see why it isn't ok for marine use.  I keep two 10 litre plastic jerry cans with diesel in my cockpit locker for refueling when I can't get to a pump, so surely it's be better than that!

Heating would be my final improvement to Harlequin but it'd make early/late season sailing much nicer and winter sailing a possibility.

Has anyone replaced their fuel tank with a bespoke larger stainless steel one?  If so how much was it and who made it for you.

Thanks

Justin

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #19 - 05.06.2017 at 19:22:21

Hi Justin

My unit takes fuel from the main tank - approx. 22 litres as yours. consumption very small. Separate tank not needed IMHO.
Unit is in cockpit locker s/b side aft adjacent to engine controls. Well out of the way. Eberspacher chaps sited it there when they did the installation - a boat show offer at the time. Feed for air supply & exhaust piping important - latter VERY hot & as short as possible, exits via flange on transom.
Working out routing for the hot air piping also needs consideration. Mine has outlets in main cabin & forepeak.
Hope this helps..........John

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #20 - 05.06.2017 at 19:56:03

Thanks for your swift response.

Could you please explain how the fuel is taken from the main tank?  Is it from a separate standpipe with a new hole drilled into the top of the tank or teed from the existing fuel pipe?  If from the fuel pipe is it before or after the water interceptor?

It'd be so much simpler to tee off from the fuel pipe after the water interceptor but the kit comes with a standpipe requiring a hole to be drilled in the top of the tank.

Is your tank the original plain steel rather than stainless?

Finally do you have an air duct for the warm air intake and if so where do you get the air from?  Webasto diagrams don't have a pipe illustrated so I assume that they just take air from next to the heater whereas Eberspacher show a pipe but not where it should go to!

Sorry about all the questions but I think I should bite the bullet and get an Eberspacher.

Thanks

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #21 - 05.06.2017 at 20:13:04

Hi Justin

I am pretty sure fuel take off is from the top of the water separator/filter housing, certainly not direct from the tank.

Original mild steel tank replaced by stainless many years ago.

The Eberspacher installers drilled three holes about 1" in diameter in the s/b cockpit coaming locker (not a standard T300 fitment) to facilitate air ingress to the cockpit locker.

A pal with a T500 had a unit installed by persons unknown. Unit was in the cabin, air taken from the cabin - an absolute disaster.

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #22 - 05.06.2017 at 20:18:28

Thanks that's really useful.

I don't suppose you could upload some photos could you, please.

Thanks

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #23 - 06.06.2017 at 12:28:16

John, do you think that a vent in the forecabin is actually necessary?

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #24 - 06.06.2017 at 16:43:33

Hi Justin

Will take some photos but won't be for a while.
Re fore cabin - very definitely yes IMHO! Helps to dry condensation in winter as well as making nice & snug.

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #25 - 09.06.2017 at 19:57:52

Justin - some photos. Excuse mess in cockpit - s/b pushpit just demolished by passing boat - insurance repair in hand.
Thermostat by bunk - switch on before getting out!!
Couldn't easily access cockpit locker to photo fuel filter.
John

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #26 - 09.06.2017 at 22:10:50

Thanks, John.
Very useful.

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #27 - 11.06.2017 at 09:35:50

Went down to the boat yesterday to measure up and think about where everything could go.

Your explanations and photos were brilliant, John, as they have now made me reconsider and get a clear view of the installation.

Harlequin in a Mark II so the internal layout is different but that said I can do a very similar installation to yours.

I had been thinking of putting the unit under the cockpit floor but there are too many pipes to give the necessary 2 inch clearance so I'm going to cut out the redundant gas locker at the back of the starboard cockpit seat and put an inspection hatch where its lid was and fit the unit underneath so it'd be in the same place as yours, John.  The hatch will also give excellent access for fitting the exhaust and maintaining the unit.

I was going to recirculate the air as recommended by Bulter Technik but I'm now planning to use fresh from the cockpit as it simplifies the installation and will remove condensation from the interior, which recirculation wouldn't.

The fuel will come off the top of the water separator as with yours as it has 2 spare banjo fittings so it will be very simple to use one of those.

I'll have 2 outlets in roughly the same place as yours, John.  The forecabin on mine isn't open plan so I'll probably put an outlet through the main bulkhead  just in front of the heads facing forward so the air is directed into the forecabin rather than sideways across the heads area.  I'll put some vents in the forecabin lockers to allow air to circulate into them more freely too whilst I'm at it.

The redundant gas locker drain goes through the bottom of the cockpit so that'll need removing and the hole glassing over etc which will mean that it will be easier to do the whole job this November when I take Harlequin out for the winter.  This may well be the last winter she spends completely ashore!

Thanks for all the advice.

This should complete the refurbishment of Harlequin, so once it's done I'll put photos of everything on the forum covering it all.

By the way I've started sailing Harlequin slightly freer on the beat and this has greatly improved her boat speed and overall performance upwind.  Being twin keeled she isn't quite as close winded as most Trapper 300s but she still performs very well to windward as long as I don't pinch.

Trapper 300s are truly brilliant boats.

Justin

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #28 - 13.06.2017 at 07:44:14

Excellent planning Justin - well done!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print