Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Trapper Owner Association
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Self eroding antidote versus Coppercoat (Read 2188 times)
Paul
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Self eroding antidote versus Coppercoat
25.10.2016 at 21:09:55

Have already committed to blast clean off of 13 years worth of Hempel Tiger Extra noted Paul G's post with Trapper 300.
NAUTIBUOY was blasted and proxies just prior to purchase so hoping the remaining coatings will be in good condition.
problem is I am getting on a bit and seeking an easier life so reducing work on bottom is very attractive.
Problem is they boat sits on mud on shingle so a very adhesive layer of mud coats the hull from half way along bulb to 0.5 metres from transom.
Have never managed  to remove this fully so new self eroding applied over.
Our technique is to use garden hoe to remove barnacles and stringy growth asap after lift out and pressure was. Prior to relocating a 3M plastic scouring pad on frame used very wet with washing up liquid has proved the most effective. This scouring is very hard work hence thoughts of Coppercoat.
I realise that mud will still build and negate the antifoul effect but my theory is that a hard epoxy base impermeable to water will be easier to scrape clean with hoe if necessary mid season as well as at lift out followed by pressure wash.
This year have also had a lot of weed/slime growth and it appears that Coppercoat is more easily cleaned by pressure washer rather than lots of firm brushing.
Has any 240 owner tried Coppercoat where boat sits on mud?
Are my thoughts realistic/logical?
By the way there are some horror stories on Coppercoat but the company has been
In business a long time and there are many satisfied owners so on balance it seems a feasible option.
Cheers
Paul

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Re: Self eroding antidote versus Coppercoat
Reply #1 - 26.10.2016 at 08:17:39

Paul : I have CopperCoat on my T300. Lives in salt water - top of the Hamble - but not in the mud.
In my experience jury is out on this. CC certainly not as "maintenance free" as adverts would suggest. Considerable weeding this year necessitated a mid season lift out. Of course less work when ashore & blasted off - just abrading with pan scrubber type tool.
John

IP Logged
Paul
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 27.10.2016 at 20:26:02

Thank you John.
Is your experience that weed/slime etc is easier pressure washed off from Coppercoat than a self eroding antifoul?
Sorry if some words are weird. Have not got to grips with predictive text on new tablet.
It seems to revert from my correction as I post
Cheers
Paul

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #3 - 28.10.2016 at 15:16:17

Paul: I would say weed & slime are more difficult to remove from c/coat.
The industrial high pressure equipment at Deacons makes very light work of it however.

IP Logged
Jonathan
Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Bromley
Reply #4 - 07.11.2016 at 17:33:21

I too have noticed more than usual weed growth on Azurian this year - just down one side at  the waterline. Maybe there was something unusual about the conditions this summer. I am thinking of raising the level of my antifoul a little to make life easier next winter.

There is a Trident (lift keel) at my club Lower Halstow YC on the Medway which was treated with Coppercoat a year or two back. It sits on our gloopy mud in just the same way as the TS240 but I am reliably told the pressure washer rapidly removes all mud and fouling and it really needs not much more than a wipe over.

I have so far been put off by the cost so will be carrying on with the scraper screwed to a light length of timber and an industrial floor cleaning scouring pad on a broomstick - flushing off with my pressure washer. I have wondered if a hard anti foul would be better but I suspect the mud would react to it in much the same way and it is difficult to remove without creating a toxic cloud. I find semi hard self eroding mostly comes away with my cleaning kit.

It doesn't get any easier after ones 70th year.

Any suggestions for cheap and effective anti foul on a drying soft mud mooring would be very welcome.

IP Logged
Paul
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 08.11.2016 at 15:33:34

Hi Jonathan,
Having just reached my 3/4 century I thought making the annual chores a bit easier would be beneficial. Hence my starting the Coppercoat thread.
However, having had the bottom blast cleaned by Symblast (good job with excellent clean up) this has revealed significant boat pox!
Clearly this had been dealt with by previous owner 12 plus years ago but these areas are essentially sound with many colander sized holes thro gel coat exposed by the blasting which have occurred during the 12 years.
Best repair is to have gel coat removed,hull dried and epoxy coated after appropriate filling.
However this is not economically sensible at 2.5 to 3K so I propose to adopt following in the hope of another 12 years!!!!
First weekly pressure washing to remove all glycol etc leaching out as she air dries.
Once moisture appears stable (using club moisture meter) or latest early March coat each hole with epoxy and follow with fair in  with epoxy mixed with colloidal silica.
Complete all fairing and paint 2 coats low so!vent epoxy from Hemel.
Then back to self eroding anti fouling
YUP THE COPPERCOAT IDEA IS DEAD -NOT RECOMMENDED OVER BOAT POX!

Thanks to all for contributions- they may be helpful to others.
Cheers
PAUL

IP Logged
Jonathan
Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Bromley
Reply #6 - 10.11.2016 at 10:51:57

Hi Paul,

Great to know I am not the only septuagenarian sailing one of these sporting boats. I do tend to put a reef in a bit earlier than a few years back. Some repairs and refurbishments I have visited more than once since getting the boat in 1990 and sometimes think "this could be the last time" but hopefully me and the boat are good for a few more years yet.

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #7 - 11.11.2016 at 17:31:41

Yours truly just 18 months off the 75% mark!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print