Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Trapper Owner Association
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fin keel reducing the draught. (Read 1178 times)
AndyWinn
Seaman Recruit

Love the water !

Fin keel reducing the draught.
05.11.2016 at 18:31:30

Hello Trapper fans I'm a prospective Trapper 500 owner, but would like to ask a question of the forum. The boat I am interested in has the usual 1.5m draught,but it will not go into my wife's favorite marina which has a maximum of 1.3m draught limit.
My question is how far into the keels do the bolts go as my intention is to remove the bottom of the keel and replace the ballast with a bolt on bulb,the danger is cutting into the bolt threads and causing a leak.
I'm aware I would be comprising her sailing abilities, but as I have no intention of taking her into tidal waters or racing I think I could live with the extra healing and leeway.
Thanks for reading my first post Andy

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Re: Fin keel reducing the draught.
Reply #1 - 06.11.2016 at 18:31:53

Andy
You refer to both keel & keels - so bilge or fin?
Would rudder still be clear?
Unless one is a qualified boat surveyor/designer I would be treading very carefully. Must be easier to choose a more suitable boat, eg lifting keel, OR marina.
Not sure tidal waters issue is that relevant. Sea state is sea state regardless.
Speak to the RYA about this - angle of vanishing stability etc, part of YM syllabus
Also ask RNLI for their view.
How insurable would the boat be? How safe?
John

IP Logged
AndyWinn
Seaman Recruit

Love the water !

Reply #2 - 06.11.2016 at 19:55:58

Thanks for the reply John it will be used in the lakes, the rudder may have to be shortened as necessary. I have read a lot of posts regarding reducing the keel depth,it appears not so uncommon, and I would be replacing the weight in the form of a bulb. I realise the weight added will have to be greater to compensate in the shortening of the leverage of the keel.

IP Logged
AndyWinn
Seaman Recruit

Love the water !

Reply #3 - 06.11.2016 at 19:58:32

Sorry it is a fin keel not bilge it would be easier to have that keel configuration, but I may have the opportunity of a bargain boat.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print