Send Topic Print
Electronics upgrade (Read 1489 times)
Trevor Helps
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Dorset
Electronics upgrade
09.01.2017 at 09:56:14

I'm a newbie and my 501's windex needed replacing at which point I began to consider upgrading the electronics generally, e.g. Clipper wireless speed/direction, new depth and navigation systems.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts/advice, particularly as to mounting an array of displays (maybe fanciful but it would be good to get something to 'clip' in place above the sliding hatch and unclip when not in use; spray hood is always UP) and the best/neatest way to get a 12v supply and socket to it. If this is a non-starter, would consider mounting left/right of companionway.

Thanks in advance for any guidance and any advice about gear to avoid!

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Re: Electronics upgrade
Reply #1 - 09.01.2017 at 12:53:18

Sorry but I've never really seen the point of wind instruments other than a hawk to tell you direction.  Sea state, heel and sail shape tells me what I need to know, although occasionally when flying the kite I've found that I hadn't quite noticed how much the wind had increased whilst I was surfing!  However I'm not sure instruments would have given me much more knowledge than simply looking at the sea and sky and boat speed.

So when I bought my Trapper 300 and the mast head part of the wind instruments were broken I simply stripped the lot out and haven't missed them at all.  I have NASA Duet, Garmin Chartplotter and a compass mounted in the cockpit which does everything I want between them.

The chartplotter is a luxury but I wouldn't do without it as it is so very reassuring after 40 odd years of doing it the old way.  I still use paper charts though for planning and passage records in case the plotter goes down.

IP Logged
Gary
Very Old Salt

I'd rather be on the
boat

Poole
Reply #2 - 11.01.2017 at 11:19:45

Hi Justin.
For many years we relied on a windex and a hand held wind speed gauge because it seemed to much trouble to run the wiring for a mast head unit. When we got the new boat it was all fitted and has been of great value as we have got older. With the ease of fitting a wireless unit these days it sounds worth doing. You only need one display to give all the functions.  The close hauled display is very handy, especially when running down wind. The display could de fitted and secured to the cabin/cockpit bulkhead with any wires from inside.
We fitted various chart displays during out 30 years with our trapper 500 and like you always had the hood up. So I made a waterproof power suppiy on the left of the cockpit hatch which allowed me to mount the chart plotter on a piece of wood so it could be placed under the hood on the same side. It could be easily disconnected snd taken below when not needed or with another power supply inside it could be used for passage planning. This is the great advantage of not needing external ariels with modern plotters.
Hope that helps.
Gary

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #3 - 12.01.2017 at 09:14:19

Hi
My point was I don't really see the need for any wind instruments other than direction.
I don't like dodgers or sprayhoods as there reduce visibility.
My chartplotter is mounted on the cockpit bulkhead permanently.
Now if I had a deckhouse steering position I might value wind instruments but otherwise I simply don't see the point of them.

IP Logged
Gary
Very Old Salt

I'd rather be on the
boat

Poole
Reply #4 - 12.01.2017 at 18:47:09

If you do long trips that involve night sailing we find them a great benefit and decrease stress levels. Just our view.

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Reply #5 - 12.01.2017 at 19:18:03

My led tricolour shines a nice light on the hawk so it is good.

I do take the point that having to look up at the hawk/windex a lot can give you a stiff neck so an instrument at deck level would avoid this.  However I don't think I need to look up that often as either the tiller pilot is steering or I get a lot of feedback from the tiller and boat movement.

Each to his own.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print