Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
501 interior varnish (Read 868 times)
stogmot
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

501 interior varnish
20.02.2017 at 09:37:45

Revamping the interior of our 501 ,started in the galley engine area , trying to match up the finish of the original ,
Tried some test areas  first ,gloss is obviously to shiny ,but the satin i feel looks a bit to dull ,i was using rustins  ,couple layers of gloss and top coat of satin.
Has anyone found a particularly good colour match and what brands they used .
Kind regards
George
Roll on spring and the new season !! Smiley

IP Logged
Justin
Very Old Salt

Trapper 300 Bilge
Keel Owner

Bristol Channel
Re: 501 interior varnish
Reply #1 - 21.02.2017 at 13:03:37

On my 300 I sanded down all the internal wood and then gave it a coat of Sandolin Natural Extra. I also wipe it over each spring with a satuarated cloth of Deks Olje No 1 which brings the finish up nicely.  In fact the top of the chart table I simply sanded and then used Deks and the finish was almost identical.

Deks has a nice warm finish and I love the smell.  All the above deck wood has been stripped and I've saturated it with Deks and put a couple of coats on it each year to keep it in good trim.  So much easier and better than varnish.  I just pressure wash the deck and fittings twice during the winter and brush on or use a damp cloth to put the Deks on afterwards.  It takes little time compared with varnish and doesn't crack or flake like varnish.

Hope this is helpful.

Justin

« Last Edit: 21.02.2017 at 13:05:39 by Justin »  
  IP Logged
stogmot
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Re: 501 interior varnish
Reply #2 - 21.02.2017 at 18:33:51

Thankyou Justin for the info . sounds like a good way ,less messy and time consuming . Will definitely get some Deks  to do the outside  deck and side strips ect . Ive put my first thinned layer of varnish on the interior so committed to varnish there ,couldn't bring myself to sand it back again .  May try giving the top coat of satin  just a splash of gloss mixed in.

Many Thanks

George  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print