Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Trapper Owner Association
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Toucan outboard well - stopping the slop (Read 520 times)
Brianq
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Toucan outboard well - stopping the slop
23.08.2017 at 07:06:21

Hi, We use a 4hp Mariner outboard in Toucan, it works just fine (if a trifle noisy) but I find the regular slopping of water through the well once the boat gets above 3 knots really annoying and restrictive unless you don't mind wet feet. The same applies when we are sailing with the outboard installed ( a must when sailing through our moorings ).
So, I was wondering if anyone has experimented with some form of deflector attached to either the well or outboard shaft that could smooth out the flow. This should improve speed, efficiency and 'stop the slop'.
Brianq

IP Logged
Paul
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Toucan outboard well - stopping the slop
Reply #1 - 24.08.2017 at 14:43:24

Hi Brian,
On Nautibuoy we have a tohatsu  8HP 2 stroke short shaft. There is some slop into cockpit but the effects this are negated by a duckboard approx. 35mm deep cross members and 50 mmx12mm stringers. ( we have a cut out for base of table leg  location/support which prevents this casting being a trip hazard ) This gives us a win win situation. Yes slop occurs but it drains away and feet stay dry.
I think edge of duckboard is about 20cm in front of outboard clamping upstand. It may be that different engines give different effects  but this should hold good in principle for all.
Some years ago there was discussion on the earlier Voy forum about an in - fill around engine in well but I think it was considered a bit of a hassle if you regularly remove engine from well.
Hope this helps.
Paul

IP Logged
Brianq
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Reply #2 - 25.08.2017 at 06:52:23

Paul, Thanks for your note. We don't have duckboards on Toucan but I can see they would help.
I am on the boat today so will have another ponder, it feels like there should be a simple solution.
Thanks again Brianq

IP Logged
Jonathan
Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Bromley
Reply #3 - 30.08.2017 at 11:56:38

I have never actually tried this but it would be simple and might cut down some of the slop. Many years ago somebody who sailed with me was disturbed by the slop from the well and thought it might be creating unnecessary drag. His idea was a part inflated launching trolley inner tube which he donated to be stuffed into the well around the leg.

I could never be bothered and I am not convinced there is any significant effect on performance and eventually the tube ended up in the bin. When racing I stow the motor in a locker and to my mind when the motor is replaced by the plug there is a gain of 0.25 - 1 knot which over 6 or 8 hours gives a significant benefit. Usually when not racing I am single handed  and since I had to swop my lightweight Yamaha 5 two stroke for a four stroke I now tend to leave it in place in part because of the extra weight and it is easier if it is needed in a hurry - starting is not quite so predictable. The motor is essential getting in and out of crowded moorings.

I wear shortie Gill boots unless it is just too warm - they grip well everywhere and guarantee dry feet. On my second pair now - well worth the money.

IP Logged
Brianq
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Reply #4 - 31.08.2017 at 20:31:22

Now that is an original solution!
I think the rhythmic slop must increase drag is annoying and prevents me motoring at a decent rate. Our 4hp two stroke is light enough to stow once sailing but like yourself it feels safer when sailing single handed to have the engine available.
Using the inflated tube idea, how about a closed cell foam block, segmented into four pieces, mitered at each corner with a cut out to suit the engine shaft. Hmm I shall work on it. Thanks for your thoughts.
Brianq

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print