Send Topic Print
Propellor replacement (Read 1154 times)
Glachbeg Bob
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Cromarty
Propellor replacement
08.10.2017 at 10:38:58

I have one of the very first Trapper 500's ( at the time still a C&C27 ) from 1971. I suspect the original 3/4" prop shaft remains, though she was re-engined with a YANMAR 2GM 20. I also think the two bladed prop was original, though this now resides at the bottom of the Cromarty Firth.  I think I should replace it with a 3 bladed propellor, though am surprised to see that the prop shaft does not have a keyway, and clearly there was a pin through the propellor as there is just a hole through the shaft ( as well as the hole through the thread for the nut) . Any info on propellor size appreciated, and also any view about whether I can fit one to that shaft or whether it is a new prop shaft job as well.  Thank you.

IP Logged
Nick
Forum Administrator

A bear of little
brain

Dorset
Re: Propellor replacement
Reply #1 - 08.10.2017 at 10:50:34

I would get the shaft keyed, or if necessary a new shaft, you now have a much more powerful engine than the original that went with that setup.

You need to find out what prop goes with the engine, you are a bit limited on diameter by the length of the P bracket and the shape of the hull but we fitted a new 1GM10 and managed to get a decent sized prop on. Although it ran close to the hull cavitation was limited because the hull goes steeply away from the nearest point. It's years since I did it but I think it was 12x10, I do remember it was pretty square, and takes a lot of torque.

Nick
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print