Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Crazy Horse (Read 1853 times)
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Crazy Horse
28.11.2017 at 22:31:11

Its about time I updated you all. Lots has changed.

After snapping the mast at the end of July.

Work started on designing a new mast that would be better than the original design of 40 years ago. I made the decision to convert to a fractionally rigged 7/8th mast with aft swept spreaders. The easiest way to do this was to keep the original forestay height and make the mast taller. So I keep my original headsails and spinnakers and gain some mainsail area and a much bendier and tuneable rig.

To make it happen I had to relocate the chainplates 400mm aft of the mast to create the desired 22 degree spreader angle. New bulkheads were therefore needed.

Made from the same corecell foam that I used in the main bulkhead for those that remember. With similar solid glass inserts for where the chainplates mount. 3 layers of glass either side of all of that makes them incredibly strong.

Now laminated in and epoxy painted in the same grey that will be a trend for the rest of the interior eventually.

Arrival of the new mast

This shows the new position of chainplates.

And finally 3 months after snapping the mast, we are now back out there racing and tuning in the new rig. See the short video below put together by our sponsor of the first sail with the new mast and sails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSf7uGnwAhc

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Re: Crazy Horse
Reply #1 - 06.12.2017 at 21:33:22

Looks good Andy!

You are turning it into an interesting experimental boat?
How does she stand up to her canvas? Is she a little tender?

I hope you are proud of what you have achieved!

Cheers

IP Logged
Andy
Old Salt

Torbay, Devon
Reply #2 - 09.12.2017 at 22:25:18

Hi Paul,

Its all about experimenting like you say. Trying to improve things when the opportunity arrises.

With the lead shoe that I did last winter on the keel it balances very well against the extra mainsail area. We used to sail around with the No.1 and full main up to about 20 knots with the old rig. Now I have a no.3 headsail that we use from about 15 knots with the extra mainsail area works really well. And then the option for 2 reefs as it gets windier. The hull design is naturally quite a tender design with the narrow transom, it gives no stability from the buoyancy of the hull itself. I wouldn't say its any more tender now with the extra sail area than it was before as this mast and sail set up is much easier to depower and tweak to the different conditions.

IP Logged
Paul G
Old Salt

Ascot
Reply #3 - 11.12.2017 at 18:18:18

So what next on the experimental list? Wink

I do think the boats sail well but are rather tender. My strategy usually is to keep the lee rail out of the water (when the boat slows significantly) and reef / trim the sails to get the best speed out of her. Bodies on the rail make a huge difference to speed.

Mine picks up speed and holds it well until overpressed, and I have the keel extension too. 6 kits is regularly seen, not bad for an old girl! Smiley

Cheers

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print