Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Trapper Owner Association
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Data Protection laws 25 <May 18 (Read 137 times)
Nick
Forum Administrator

A bear of little
brain

Dorset
New Data Protection laws 25 <May 18
07.05.2018 at 10:29:32

I've just been reading about these and I think they affect this site. I seem to have become a data controller.

There are exemptions for recreational use but as far as I can see that is not covered here.

I have not had a Trapper for very many years, I pay for the costs of this site out of my own pocket (they are minimal)

I don't wish to fall foul of the law, but if this site is still found useful I don't have a problem with continuing it.

Any thoughts?

Nick

Nick
WWW   IP Logged
Paul
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: New Data Protection laws 25 <May 18
Reply #1 - 12.05.2018 at 10:45:20

Hi Nick,
Everyone and their dog seem to be going overboard on this subject.
Our information provided  allows only signed up participants to post and we are only known to each other via our messaging facility..
If you are happy to continue this it should suit the majority. If you need our agreement to hold our data ( essentially name and  e mail addresses) I will be happy to  oblige.
The only stipulation being that the info is used for signed up members only and may Not be sold on or used for commercial purposes.
They Bulletin Board has been quiet for a while but the daily number of views shows a continuing strong interest. I certainly don't sign on unless wanting to post a comment.
I'm sure we are all grateful for you keeping the Bulletin Board going and would like to thank you for maintaining this very useful facility. Perhaps we could introduce a permanent reminder that you do have some costs however minimal and that the donation of a small contribution on all sales via the forum is a good way to recompense your effort?
Once again many thanks !
Paul

IP Logged
Nick
Forum Administrator

A bear of little
brain

Dorset
Re: New Data Protection laws 25 <May 18
Reply #2 - 12.05.2018 at 11:01:13

Hi Paul,

There is a paypal donate button in the for sale section, I have had three donations since that went on and that probably paid for a year or two.

There is also something in the signup saying I will never sell any information from members.

I think the site is ok but technically it seems not to be exempt evewn so.

The software is American but I suspect later versions are probably checked for compliance, tyhis is not the latest version and I have no idea how to change, last time we were forced to upgrade I got a lot of help from a guy in the US.

It does cost money to keep the domain name hosted and registered but the board is free.

My main input now is approving applications for membership because I was having so much trouble with bots that I had to stop the automated signup process.

Nick
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print