Send Topic Print
A Dry Boat (Read 402 times)
Jonathan
Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Bromley
A Dry Boat
31.05.2018 at 14:09:41

I was interested to read Paul saying he always considered his TS240 a dry boat although a surveyor thought he may have detected moisture. I always thought Azurian was remarkably dry in spite of sailing the rail under at times but towards the end of last season I began to be a bit concerned as I appeared to have water under the cabin sole and it definitely tasted salty.

A previous owner had filled the void between the hull and the inner moulding with foam in an attempt to make the boat unsinkable - apparently he had a boat sink under him. Although a square hole was cut in the cabin sole with a ply lid so a sponge could be used to get out the last drops the foam must have degraded as it was retaining water which then squeezed out under foot pressure. I was concerned lest there was something amiss with the metalwork in the bottom of the hull on which the lowered keel sits. Over many years on a drying mooring the trailing edge of the keel can wear away at this lower casting. A few years back I sleeved the trailing keel edge with stainless sheet and drilled and tapped the inner casting to bolt a stainless metal plate around the aft of the aperture in the hull. Any contact is now stainless to stainless and there was no visible wear last winter.

Over the winter I dug round under the cabin sole around the sponge hole with various implements and removed as much of the foam as I could reach - not much and the surface in contact with the hull appeared to have turned to a brown mush. Even over this winter the hull seemed to dry right out. I also removed both the fore hatch and one window and rebidded them. The fore hatch had leaked for a while so that I left a washing up bowl below and had tried sealing the rubber around the glass with both silicone and Capt Watts creeping crack cure to no long lasting effect. You know how it is - you can play a hose on something trying to locate a leak and find nothing yet a light shower causes a flood when you are not looking. Anyway this time I located a leak as coming from the seal with the foredeck - similar problem with the port window. I resealed both with butyl rubber. When I replaced my windows a while back I used low modulus neutral cure silicone as recommended because it is supposed to allow lots of movement and still seal. It simply did not adhere to the acrylic sheet of the windows resulting in a capillary type leak. Butyl rubber stays liquid and only skins over where it is in contact with the air. Seems capable of dealing with expansion and contraction and you can easily clean up with white spirit.

The end result both hatch and window 100% waterproof. The boat was launched mid April. It has done one club race around Isle of Sheppey - other participants grounded at LW in the Swale ( to think I was wondering about getting a bilge keeler) and we had a beat up the Thames Estuary into wind against tide 2 reefs and I am told gusts of 30 kts - plenty of water everywhere but only a couple back into the cockpit. After all this the sponge hole has remained absolutely bone dry. Everything must have been well tested as it was impossible not to experience some slamming in the very short and steep seas.

Nearly 40 years old but the boat can still give a good account for itself.

Some of my water may have got in via hatch or window but some gets in when the log impeller is raised to clean it  - reckon I will stick to only doing that when dried out - it usually takes to mid August before the barnacles stop it rotating.

Looking forward to hearing more from other TS240 owners this season.

IP Logged
Paul
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: A Dry Boat
Reply #1 - 01.06.2018 at 16:31:41

Hi Jonathan,
I'm not a fan of foam filling unless closed cell and laid as a mat before blasting in.
Had problem with crack at ' stepping' poition at forward end top of  locker( not lid ).
Tricky void between two grp layers so foam seemed best bet. Not very happy with result!
Suspect the inability to control the density due to geometry and possibly premature curing was problem.
Anyhow glad you proved me right that TS240s are dry boats once windows/hatches sealed. Ref to bury noted!!!
Note reference to log impeller. If its a NASA one I find rotating it thru 180 deg. Prolongs the time before the little critters really grab hold.

Cheers
Paul

IP Logged
Jonathan
Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Bromley
Re: A Dry Boat
Reply #2 - 07.09.2018 at 20:31:21

After my last post I was horrified to find that water had reappeared under the cabin sole. Not a lot  and a small bath sponge easily picked it up in one or two dabs. I was beginning to worry that maybe the metal frame which I hope is cast iron on which the keel sits was rusting and maybe expanding and creating a capillary leak.

After a few more outings - some well heeled and punching into steep, short, wind against tide, seas in the Thames Estuary the water appeared for a while but eventually stopped showing up. I think the fantastic summer weather had something to do with drying it up but it has never returned after a good while now.

My conclusion is that the dreaded foam introduced by a previous owner and which I know has in part degenerated into a brown mush must have been holding the water like a sponge and slowly released it - probably induced by flexing in the hull. I try to avoid it by taking the boat off the wind a bit but sometimes it gets caught out by the wave pattern so that the forward part of the hull becomes airborne slamming into the next wave with a bang - this must have played its part in dislodging the water.

I am pretty sure the foam is the closed cell type but it looks to me as if Paul is right to have his reservations re this stuff.

Unfortunately I have to live with it but at least I have a dry boat after all even if my log is only reliable to mid August. I can use the gps but I do like to see speed through the water.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print