Send Topic Print
Cutlass bearing (Read 175 times)
Defiance
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Cutlass bearing
23.09.2018 at 10:27:42

Good day everyone

I repacked my stuffing gland in March and despite various adjustments the drip when running leaves me with a couple of litres of water in the bilge after 2-3 hours of engine running which I think is too much (let me know if Iím being unreasonable). Now could this be down to having too much wear on the cutlass bearing in the p bracket as I have about 1-2mm play from what I remember? I imagine itís a pain in the arse to change this with dropping the rudder, removing the shaft etc or is there some knack to this job that I havenít discovered?

Thanks

Nick

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Re: Cutlass bearing
Reply #1 - 23.09.2018 at 17:11:09

Hello Nick

Star Trapper will have that amount of cutlass bearing play but virtually no water in the bilge.
Normal cutlass bearing removal procedure is remove propeller, undo grub screws holding cutlass in P bracket then simply drift out, over the shaft.
Only if that runs into problems is rudder removal etc required. Dropping T300 rudder is dead easy. Only one bolt at head of stock holding in place. I have done it single handed using rope to hold in place.
Removing shaft of course requires removal of gear box flange, or remove engine & withdraw shaft backwards. Been there, done that got the T shirt. All good fun!

John

« Last Edit: 23.09.2018 at 17:15:35 by John Woodhouse »  
  IP Logged
Defiance
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Reply #2 - 24.09.2018 at 19:21:09

Thanks John

I think iíll do some more tuning with the stuffing box. Any tips on this would also be appreciated? And whilst I have your attention Smiley do you have grease doodad linked to the stuffing box? As I do and Iím not sure how much would be considered normal use as Iíve refilled it twice since the beginning this season, approx 50hrs at a guess.

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #3 - 25.09.2018 at 18:51:00

Hello  Nick

I am no stern gland expert & I get Marine Power at Deacons boatyard to do mine - which will have been overhauled perhaps 3-4 times in 45,000 miles & 33 years, ie not that often.
Yes, I have a greaser attached to the gland. Method I was given was take up any slack, then maybe half or one  turn - no more or one is pumping grease into the wet stuff. If serious motoring I will grease every 2/3 hours.
I would say you are using a fair bit of grease.

IP Logged
Paliri
Seaman Recruit

Love the water !

Reply #4 - 17.10.2018 at 21:08:24

I get perhaps 500mls for about 4 hours on the motor. I didn't realise yachts (newbie) had greasers. Are they similar to the types used on Narrow boats and where are they normally located? Any idea how much a repack of the stuffing box is?

Thanks

Patrick

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #5 - 22.10.2018 at 15:50:55

Palari - on Star Trapper greaser is in cockpit locker adjacent to stern gland.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print