Send Topic Print
Waterlogged rudder (Read 68 times)
Trevor Helps
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Dorset
Waterlogged rudder
24.10.2018 at 09:41:13

After haul-out, I noticed the rudder dripping water and sure enough it's leaking. I suspect it's waterlogged as a fair amount leaked out. Any suggestions as to how best to handle this? Can anyone recommend anyone who might undertake the job (Dorset area). Thanks!

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Re: Waterlogged rudder
Reply #1 - 25.10.2018 at 19:53:01

A well known Trapper issue!
On my T300 I used to stand the rudder upside down, with a hole drilled at the top, to drain out, then glassed the hole.
Rudder is in two halves & water gets in via the stock. Originally void filled with foam.
In my case I had  new rudder GRP 'halves' made - using original for mould, rebuilt with original stock. Then completely filled with GRP ie solid.

IP Logged
Trevor Helps
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Dorset
Reply #2 - 12.11.2018 at 10:12:40

Thanks, John. Following a suggestion from another 501 owner, I've drilled a number of holes in the bottom of the rudder and it'll be suspended above a gentle heat source for some time in an attempt to dry it out before plugging with glass.

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #3 - 13.11.2018 at 16:41:09

Trevor - with my T300 rudder I found most of the water came out from the top, holes drilled & stood upside down.
Wisdom at the time suggested water was getting in where the stock enters the top of the rudder.
Let us know how you get on.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print