Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Trapper Owner Association
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
searching for new cockpit thru-hull drains (Read 71 times)
Monros
Seaman Apprentice

I Love YaBB 2!

searching for new cockpit thru-hull drains
28.10.2018 at 12:36:57

Hi,
Because the exhaust elbow from the engine in my T500 is very close, the plastic trhu-hull drain has been burned, and I'm searching for a good replacement.
There's a lot of thru-hulls in chandlery sites in the net, but I'm searching one with  "recessed" skin fittings design, as it seems me is the original, in order to facilitate the water flow from the cockpit and avoid any small pool on it.
Any advice?
Thanks

« Last Edit: 28.10.2018 at 12:38:05 by Monros »  
  IP Logged
Graham
Seaman Apprentice

London
Re: searching for new cockpit thru-hull drains
Reply #1 - 29.10.2018 at 11:43:48

Monros,

When one of my cockpit drain fittings cracked I "temporarily" replaced it with a straight through bath waste fitting that works well.

I'm on a lookout for a more sturdy old style brass bath waste that might last longer.  My plan is to cut out and file smooth the internal grid that might restrict flow a bit.

Graham

IP Logged
Monros
Seaman Apprentice

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 04.11.2018 at 20:13:02

Hi, thanks for the advice, the moment I just repair it with fiber, and sealed with sika. Ast the thread is broken, I have tightened the thru-hull with a stainless steel clamp. No leaks at this moment, but it needs a look the next weeks, to check if the DIY project is working well... The fact is the size seems 1 7/8" no a very common size I'm afraid, so if I buy another size as could be 1 1/2 " I should need to change all the hose.

b regards

« Last Edit: 04.11.2018 at 20:15:28 by Monros »  
  IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #3 - 04.11.2018 at 21:44:20

Monros: do we infer you  have a plastic fitting now fixed with a stainless steel clamp, if so no worry. If s/steel attached to a bronze fitting galvanic corrosion would be a real worry & require sacrificial anode.

IP Logged
Monros
Seaman Apprentice

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 16.11.2018 at 18:47:38

Hi, yes it was plastic. Finally the DIY project was not succesful enough, and luckly I found new ones in plastic, no expensive, very similar to the originals. The diametre size is 1" 1/2.
Thanks

« Last Edit: 16.11.2018 at 18:48:10 by Monros »  
  IP Logged
Monros
Seaman Apprentice

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 16.11.2018 at 18:53:58

I have a new doubt about it: how are installed or must be installed the hoses from this drains? in my T500 the are crossed, the one from starboard drains under waterline line in the port side, and the other in the opostie way. Is this the same as the original design? I don't know the reason for such crossed instalation?

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #6 - 16.11.2018 at 20:11:30

Yes, crossed pipes are correct. Otherwise cockpit would flood when boat is heeled.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print