Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Racing a TS 240 (Read 45 times)
willawaw
Seaman Recruit

Love the water !

Racing a TS 240
01.11.2018 at 17:45:36

Interested in buying a TS 240 for cruising and racing.Has anybody raced one under IRC.If so what was the handicap and was it competitve.

IP Logged
Jonathan
Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Bromley
Re: Racing a TS 240
Reply #1 - 09.11.2018 at 18:22:29

Spoke to Brian recently for the first time in a long while. Good to see he has managed to get his boat on to the board so it can find a new home. Sounds as though the damage to the keel lifting block should not be too difficult to fix. If you would need advice there is plenty to be had via this board.

Should you go for this boat I am sure you will not be disappointed by its sailing performance. I have kept Azurian nearby at Lower Halstow for many years and these boats will outsail almost anything of similar size and most up to 30' and a tad over except in heavier conditions in the Thames Estuary. I cannot comment on the IRC rating and my club still sticks to the old RYA ratings without any adjustment so the handicap is a bit of a drag but hey we are over the line well ahead of others and me and my crew are not exactly hot racers.

The new handicap system should I believe be better as it is adjusted by actual race times rather than only referring to historic data from when the boats were first introduced and taken up by some highly accomplished racers. Only about 40 were ever produced and I doubt many have been raced seriously in recent years - most being owned by cruising people so recent data would be thin.

I think one at Benfleet is raced pretty enthusiastically if still in the same ownership. last time I saw it the sails looked pretty impressive.

If you do buy this boat and are local look forward to seeing you out on the estuary next year.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print