Send Topic Print
Drying out (Read 80 times)
psammead
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Drying out
06.02.2019 at 04:30:18

Hi all!

Have any Trapper 300 owners out there dried out there boat against a wall? The 300 is on my radar as a potential next boat but it would be used for cruising as much as racing and drying out would open up mooring opportunities. The keel is quite narrow so just wondering if it's a bit iffy/tippy!?! Any thoughts?

Cheers in advance!

IP Logged
Defiance
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Re: Drying out
Reply #1 - 08.02.2019 at 23:06:34

Iíve got a lead fin keel and thatís quite tender just when itís floating and I definitely wouldnít want to dry out unattended, so probably a risky proposition when you consider that youíll be drying out twice a day everyday in all conditions.

That said there are some bilge keelers out there so they might be worth considering. Or just get a swing mooring and nippy tender, takes me 10mins on the plane to get to mine.

I do love my 300 excellent sailing to be done in them and looks after me well even in 30kts single handed.

IP Logged
psammead
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Reply #2 - 09.02.2019 at 16:58:04

Thanks for the reply. If I bought a 300 it would be kept in a marina afloat all the time. The drying out question was more aimed at occasional overnighting against quay walls etc as there's a few of those down here in the West Country. Really want to know as it's a narrow keel end whether the boat is prone to tipping on it's nose or back on the rudder or whether it's actually quite well balanced?

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #3 - 11.02.2019 at 17:05:45

I have dried out Star Trapper many times - invariably for a mid season scrub. Secret is to securely lash the mast to a shore fitting, using a block & tackle, eg mainsheet, to get maximum purchase & have boat heeled over shorewards. Then fore & aft in usual manner, warps to winches to get purchase. Bucket of water on boom end helps heel.
Need to wait patiently as tide falls to adjust lines etc., ditto refloating.
I wouldn't dry out for overnight stay. Miss the top of the tide to 'relaunch' & boat high & dry again. Also cannot use loo.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print