Welcome back! (Read 108 times)
Nick
Forum Administrator

A bear of little
brain

Dorset
Welcome back!
19.08.2019 at 14:28:05

the host company that I use recently did a server move and updated to a later version of Perl. As a result the forum broke and none of us could log in.

I couldn't ask if anybody on here had any experience with Perl as I couldn't log in either. I couldn't fix it because I know nothing about computers.

I tried the facebook group I am in the S&CA and somebody there had a go, and I got onto the Yabb support forum.

Fortunately a very nice chap there has given up his time to sort out a fix for now. That's how we got back into operation this morning.

However it highlights again that I know nothing about computers, I'm just the chap who pays the bills round here.

If anybody out there does understand computers and wants to lend a hand that would be great, various people have stepped in and helped over the years but now we need some fresh IT gurus.

One thing that needs to be done is to migrate us to the latest version of Yabb. I have asked the chap who has generously given us his time if he can fix it but it would be really good to have a member who could help.

For the moment, at least, we are up and running.

Nick

Nick
WWW   IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Re: Welcome back!
Reply #1 - 19.08.2019 at 19:11:20

Hello Nick

All this computer stuff is well outside my orbit but hopefully someone who knows their stuff will come along.
Meanwhile many thanks for all the effort you put in
John

IP Logged
Nick
Forum Administrator

A bear of little
brain

Dorset
Reply #2 - 20.08.2019 at 09:00:36

Well outside mine too!

Hopefully people will realise the board is working again. I tried a membership email but that didn't seem to work.

I'm not sure how to advise the new location of the upgraded board. When we last upgraded we stayed in the same place I'm not sure why we can't this time.

Nick
WWW   IP Logged
sr4a
Very Old Salt

Sun's past the
yardarm!

Cumbernauld
Reply #3 - 20.08.2019 at 23:58:39

Hi Nick,

Just logged in as usual and all seems to be the same as usual (so Far?)
And like John has said, thanks for all the 'behind the scenes' hard work for the site.

Stevie Cheesy

IP Logged
Nick
Forum Administrator

A bear of little
brain

Dorset
Reply #4 - 21.08.2019 at 13:19:08

Yes all working at the moment, though as it was down for a while some may just think it won't return.

As to hard work, well I don't do any, I just pay the bills.

I do have to set up every new member now because it was just getting silly with all the Russians but that doesn't take much.

Fortunately the host I use is incredibly helpful and chucked the russians off my other domain names.

Nick
WWW   IP Logged
Gary
Very Old Salt

I'd rather be on the
boat

Poole
Reply #5 - 25.08.2019 at 16:55:21

Board working OK.

IP Logged
Pages: 1