501 refit (Read 71 times)
Dunny
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

france
501 refit
22.09.2019 at 15:40:20

hello all,
I wonder if anyone can give advise on the following which I plan to start soon.
1. I wish to bring all lines arft and would love to see how others have done their boats.
2. How have owners used the reefing system to get things arft.
3. I wish to change the standard rigging, any recommendations. I live in France and would also love to know the specific lengths without taking the mast down.
4. I wish to buy a complete set of sails any recommendation, equally what size of sails were originally used on the Trapper.

Kind Regards

Dunny

IP Logged
Monros
Seaman Apprentice

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: 501 refit
Reply #1 - 10.10.2019 at 06:31:22

Hi Dunny,

For my T500 doing the same thing some years ago, the main challenge was how to put the pullies for the reefing  lines in the base of the mast. I found and way without doing no holes in the deck, that in my opinion is better to avoid. I used a strong dynema line around the mast, and the pullies are connected in this line. I'm happy with this system, it seems simple and robust and no problems with it at the moment.  Then for each side an organizer (for this sure you need to make holes through the deck)  and at the end aft the rope clutches (also holes in the deck)  (for 3 lines by every side ). So I have now 6 positions. At this moment to avoid to many lines I only installed the aft lines of the sail, and for the bow side of the sail I have a  feeder lop  to put inside the hole of the sail. But in the future if I want to avoid to go to the mast when reefing I could add more lines and pullies.
I will try to add some pictures ASAP.

I think all the sailsmakers have the figures for the Trapper 500/1 sails....there are databases for all the sailboats that were build from an industrial way, not for the single units.

best regards
Monros
Barcelona (Catalonia)

IP Logged
Dunny
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

france
Re: 501 refit
Reply #2 - 15.10.2019 at 12:30:47

Hi Monros,

Thanks for coming back to me, really good information. You have got me thinking. If you do get a chance some photos would e great.

Thanks a Million

Dunny

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print