Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Trapper Owner Association
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advice regarding a replacement engine for a T500 (Read 133 times)
Heber
Boatswain Mate

If I knew then!

Carlingford Ireland
Advice regarding a replacement engine for a T500
07.11.2019 at 23:23:57

Hi Guys,
I am sorry to report the demise of my Yanmar YSB 12 engine.

The symptoms are that it won’t start and the level of the engine oil had risen unexpectedly.
On pumping out the engine oil there was a creamy grey / white paste on the tube when it was removed from the engine oil filler cap. The presumption is that water has got into the engine oil.

The cause has not yet been established, it could be an engine head gasket or a cooling gallery wall corroded through.  Either way with a potential age of 41 + years I don’t believe it warrants a repair project especially as I would not be able to do it myself.

I am therefore embarking on a project to find and fit a replacement engine (preferably more powerful) and would appreciate if anybody who has undertaken the project could supply me with any information.

I have done some initial research and measurements from brochures and manuals of possible replacement engines but to be honest I am finding it very hard to visualise how these will fit into the space available.

If you would let me know what engine you fitted, if you had to modify the bearers either physically or with the addition of steel support pieces.  If you could supply a photo or two it would be really appreciated.

You can send me a PM (private mail?) if you wish, any and all assistance is appreciated.

I have started scanning through the forum for any relevant articles.

I have fund the Forum Topic “Re-Engining trapper 500” by AlanG (26/11/10) and the contributions by fellow forum Members.   This is excellent information and the photo answered many questions.
On page 8 of the Forum.

All assistance appreciated.

Regards, Heber

« Last Edit: 08.11.2019 at 21:04:56 by Heber »  
  IP Logged
Monros
Seaman Apprentice

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Advice regarding a replacement engine for a T500
Reply #1 - 10.11.2019 at 19:40:05

Hi,

If you are in UK it seems to me the best option is Beta (Kubota marinized). Yanmar is a real marine engine, but it seems more expensive. Perhaps easier to adapt to the actual gearbox, maybe? It should be also to be considered in the total cost of the project.

Interesting how to chose the size of the engine:

https://betamarine.co.uk/engine-selection-for-yachts/´

No sense to put more power, the speed is limited for the LWL and the displacement. Anyway you will improve sure from your old YSB 12.  Probably the best options are Beta 14 or 16. Beta 20 have 3 cylinder it sseems to me no necessary and even oversized for the T500, but I'm not an expert!

Have in mind the Trapper 500 figures: https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/trapper-500501 to use in the previos page of Beta Marine (calculator)

I have seen in the net some Trappers to be sold with Beta installed. (16)

Other think to be considered, if you install an oversized engine, probably this engine always will work in slow revolutions and this is a problem because  it  can generate problems in the exhaust system. I read that the engines in the boats should work often in medium and high revolution speeds....they are designed to work hard!.

Good luck!

Monros
Barcelona
Catalonia

« Last Edit: 11.11.2019 at 19:16:38 by Monros »  
  IP Logged
Gary
Very Old Salt

I'd rather be on the
boat

Poole
Reply #2 - 13.11.2019 at 11:36:26

The twin cylinder Nanni, about 15 HP is a good fit. Another advantage is that Nanni have a good parts base throughout the EU. It fits in the engine bay with a mod to the mounting and change of prop.
Gary

IP Logged
Heber
Boatswain Mate

If I knew then!

Carlingford Ireland
Reply #3 - 13.11.2019 at 23:05:01

Hi guys,

Thank you for the replies.  I will have to set aside some time to study the links you have supplied.

At this time I am inclined to try and go for the Beta 16 just for the extra bit of power.   If anybody could upload a photo of a Beta 16 installation it would be appreciated.

I know of a Trapper 500 with a Beta 20 installed and I am trying to organise a visit to physically see how they installed it, bearer modification etc. I am hoping that the Beta 16 will be slightly smaller physically.

I appreciate what you are saying about the oversized engine and the low revolutions and load.

Regards Heber.

IP Logged
Heber
Boatswain Mate

If I knew then!

Carlingford Ireland
Reply #4 - 29.11.2019 at 14:29:42

Hi guys,

Just an update, I have sourced a Beta 16 and hope to have it mid next week.  As previously stated I would love to get a few photos of installations of Bets 16’s to see how other owners have undertaken the project.  Any and all guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Heber

IP Logged
Harry
Seaman Recruit

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 01.12.2019 at 10:56:35

A few years ago i had my yanmar 9pk in my Trapper 500 (wynbern) of 1976 replaced by a beta 14.
I encountered no problems and i am very satisfied.
I think the beta 16 is of the same size as the beta 16.

I had to remove the whole entrance door in the cabin to get the old engine out and the new in.

Harry Martens

IP Logged
Heber
Boatswain Mate

If I knew then!

Carlingford Ireland
Reply #6 - 02.12.2019 at 10:22:27

Hi Harry,

I have received your photos and they are very informative.

I literally have only just seen this post and your comment about “having to remove the whole entrance door in the cabin”.  I am hoping that you mean the frame around the entrance into the Engine compartment.

Regards and thank you for your assistance, Heber

IP Logged
Monros
Seaman Apprentice

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 06.12.2019 at 09:23:22

Hi Heber,

also there are the Solé Diesel engines, based on Mitsubishi. The mini-17 seems would be the size for the T500

http://www.solediesel.com/en-gb/engines/mitsubishi/mini-17.aspx

They are build near my home (Barcelona) and distributed also in UK (see dealers in the web page). A lot of years with the engine marinization and a lot installed in all kind of boats,  mainly in the Med.

Regards
Monros

« Last Edit: 06.12.2019 at 09:30:43 by Monros »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print