Send Topic Print
Leak from anchor locker (Read 44 times)
NickS
Seaman Recruit

Love the water !

Cardiff
Leak from anchor locker
12.02.2020 at 09:38:50

Advice please...I am told that due to a design flaw there is a tendency for water ingress via the anchor locker. Could anyone explain how to correct this design flaw. Iím pretty certain the water is coming from the anchor locker. Itís only really noticeable when the vessel is lying ashore and the anchor is off the boat. I presume the anchor warp soaks up water not draining.
Thanks

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Re: Leak from anchor locker
Reply #1 - 13.02.2020 at 11:39:48

Hello Nick

There are two potential leaks with the T300 anchor locker.
Firstly check the anchor drain, s/b side on mine. If original plastic, replace with bronze. This drain bolts through both outer hull & inner liner.
Next have a look at the inner liner at the top - requires a bit of contortion!
As originally built there was an unsealed gap that permits water to splosh over the top into the void. On Star Trapper I had this gap glassed over many years ago.
Which is your boat? Where is the leaking water manifesting itself?

IP Logged
NickS
Seaman Recruit

Love the water !

Cardiff
Reply #2 - 15.02.2020 at 11:22:21

Thanks for that response. The drain has been replaced with a bronze fitting to port side. However the lower floor of the locker is not flush with the bottom lip of the drain, so this must allow water to accumulate. There is a gap as you say, which leads to a void. The water collects inside the most forward V-shaped compartment. Probably collects about an egg-cupful each time it rains. No drips observed so I assume it runs down the central V-shape from the bow. The vessel is on land so Iím not sure how water would splash into the void. I had plans to re-glass the lower anchor floor, so moisture would drain away and not collect.
You further thoughts much appreciated.

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #3 - 16.02.2020 at 11:01:41

Nick - my experience of splashing into the void was when playing submarines in wind over tide conditions. That problem completely solved.
As your boat is ashore must be rain water from above?
Is boat shored level ie not tilting to bow?
Only entrance points would be stem head fitting, toe rail attachment & chain locker lid itself I would have thought.
Which is your boat, where kept?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print