Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Broken spreader (Read 97 times)
Jovanovic
Seaman Recruit

Love the water !

Broken spreader
27.03.2020 at 15:28:01

Hello TS240 colleagues. I had the mis-fortune to snap one of my spreaders during the purchase of my first proper boat. Can anyone give me some advice or point me in the right direction as I can't afford £100's currently and want to get the mast back up(coronavirus allowing).
Many thanks,
William

IP Logged
Jonathan
Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Bromley
Re: Broken spreader
Reply #1 - 27.03.2020 at 18:22:17

I don't know how much spreaders cost but from your comment I am guessing quite a lot. It is probably impossible to buy one exactly like the original so probably new mast fittings and ends would also be required.

Could you sleeve it with a sheet of either aluminium or stainless steel. Either can be purchased via Ebay for only a few pounds. A few years back I sleeved the trailing edge of part of my keel where it had broken back by contacting the surrounding casting when settling on each tide. I think what I used was either 1mm or 0.8mm sheet. When folded tightly to fit over the trailing edge it was incredibly rigid and I fixed it in place drilling 4 holes through both the sleeve and the cast iron keel and through bolting. Bolts and nuts faired off and sleeve packed with epoxy steel. It has stood up to the boat sitting on it each tide for years now and looks like the day I did it. Covered in anti foul you would not notice it unless pointed out.

I would suggest perhaps 0.5mm steel for your purpose as easier to work to the right shape and you could fix with numerous rivets. Others might have better solutions or say this is crazy but I think it would work and be cheap.

My own club has suspended all launches for the duration and my sails are stuck at Kemp who have shut for the duration. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #2 - 27.03.2020 at 21:13:17

Re "sleeve it with a sheet of either aluminium or stainless steel": if broken spreader is aluminium I would worry about corrosion between dissimilar metals if using stainless steel. Personally I would use aluminium.
Just my own thoughts - more than happy to be corrected.

IP Logged
Paul
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 28.03.2020 at 22:28:55

Hello William,
Seems access to materials may be problem.
You could try epoxy/ glass repair at about 100 mm long. It won't look much but should do the job.
If you can access
Aluminium sheet of same thickness and the same length as existing spreader a drill and hacksaw and a file will be required
Cut aluminium to length and importantly to same angle as existing spreaders
Use damaged unit pivot at mast end as a template and  and drill a hole.

At outer end drill  a hole close to edge to receive  shroud using file to open out. Shroud tension will hold shroud in place.
This should get you  sailing.
After Corovirus emergency seek out a rigging company and see if you can pick up similar pair of  from a replaced (scrap) mast and cut to length as necessary.. Damaged
And replaced masts usually have many retrievable fittings so there is a good chance of success. You may need to fettle these at mast end.
Good luck!
Paul

IP Logged
Jonathan
Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Bromley
Reply #4 - 30.03.2020 at 17:14:58

I like Paul's idea of glassing it. Mat and resin should be easily obtained even now and if you could get a reasonable thickness wrapped around the break in several layers and say four inches either side it should be quite strong enough. As for the appearance you could paint it and anyway at that height above the deck nobody is going to be looking that closely.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print