Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dating my TS240 (Read 153 times)
Excelsior
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Dating my TS240
07.04.2020 at 22:08:54

Can anyone help?  I am led to believe that Trapper yachts built TS240's from 1980 until 1987.  I have heard that estimates of  numbers built vary from 40 to 70.  When I bought Excelsior three tears ago she was advertised as being built in 1985.  I later discovered a brass plate with her previous name Fyne Fettle  stating she was built in 1980.  Prior to being based on Loch Fyne for about fifteen years she was named Excelsior and based at Milford Haven.
I sailed her home, single handed from Loch Fyne to Anglesey.  Some of the sails (still in good condition) are by Stephen Ratsy of Milford Haven.  
I do not expect to launch this year owing to the current travel restrictions, so I am carrying out maintenance and refurbishments.  But back to the main point, dating her.  I insure with Yachting 24 and have just noticed that they operate a cut off at boats of 40 years of age.  Is Excelsior 32, 35 or 40 years old?  I have looked into every nook and cranny (including inside cockpit lockers) and have found no indication of numbers at all.
She is a super boat and fulfills all my expectations.  Sailing back from my annual trip to the Isle of Mann under genny only and in rather too much wind, engine in well and towing the dinghy I saw 11.2 Knots on the log.  Rather hairy!
Any help or information regarding her history or age would be greatly appreciated, in the meantime best wishes to all other trapper owners and let us all look forward to sailing again as soon as the current crisis is over.
Keith (Excelsior)

IP Logged
Paul
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Dating my TS240
Reply #1 - 08.04.2020 at 22:19:33

Hello Keith,
It would appear that if Excelsior was a 1980 boat her number will be below 18.
If you retrace the posts on this forum you will get many additions changes to the list of boats and owners. Look to small numbers top left of this page and start with 1 and follow on.
Also the previous forum for Trapper yachts on Voy forum has even earlier listings.
If you cant find a number on inside port locker the way I found mine was marker pen numbers on inside of keel casing finishing mouldings.
I was initially a bit confused as I had both 19 and 20 on adjacent  panels but this was probably a reflection of the peak build time and trying to get boats sold / delivered.

On insurance you may need an out of water survey but they are strongly built boats so should be fine. Indeed your 'cruise' back to Anglesey should give every confidence.
If insurers difficult let us know as many of us get full insurance at a reasonable price
Best wishes,
Paul

IP Logged
Jonathan
Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Bromley
Reply #2 - 11.04.2020 at 14:09:58

Thanks for the suggestion of where to look for a serial number Paul. I have never been able to find anything in either locker or near the hydraulics. Somewhere on the forum years back I was told I probably could not find a number because my boat was the first one as it was originally Tapper's demonstrator as appears in the brochure.

From memory there is some felt pen on the inside of the keel casing but i have never taken much notice and I think it is rather longer. next time I have the struggle to remove it I will have a good look.

IP Logged
Excelsior
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Reply #3 - 18.04.2020 at 19:54:45

Hi Paul and Jonathan,
Many thanks for your help.  Good news re Y24 insurance, I have recently renewed my insurance with them.  As you probably gathered, I was concerned that they would not invite renewal next year.
Whist dating Excelsior is now less urgent it would still be of interest to know any history and her age= would the sail number yield any info?
Regarding possible location of numbers on?in the keel box, did you mean inside the fiberglass box or on the wooden trim panels?  It looks as though part of the fiberglass box as been cut away at sometime and has been professionally repaired - access for repairs maybe?
Access into the keelbox is restricted to a cut out about 15 inches long x 6 inches deep near the top of the port side of the structure.
I am doubly fortunate in that i live less than a mile from my launching slip  and Fxcelsior is currently at home in the barn and I have the means of hoisting her sufficiently to fully lower the keel.  I am proposing to hoist in stages in order to inspect the keel top box and ultimately  descale the keel with a view to fairing and sheathing with epoxy and glass cloth.  Any reason why I should not?
Kind regards,
Keith

IP Logged
Paul
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 18.04.2020 at 22:55:36

Hi Keith,
Glad your insurance sorted.
On subject of marker pen numbers you may have an early boat where the main keel case is grp and the decorative cladding is wood. Certainly I know Nidri (now Skyfall ) and Miracle have wooden decorative cladding to get an idea of numbers.
In the case of Nautibuoy I have grp moulded finisher panels and numbers were on inside.
Sure wish I had a barn with lifting tackle just down the road from mooring!!!
However not sure about grp wrapping of keel as it may not last long as keel goes up and down through the metal frame guide at lower end of keel box.
I guess grp is much softer than epoxy coating though all will wear through in time.
Of course if you leave the keel down all the time any wear will be very limited
Keep us posted on progress.
Paul

IP Logged
Excelsior
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Reply #5 - 20.04.2020 at 09:29:09

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the help,  Yes my Excelsior has a GRP keel box and varnished ply cladding so as you suggest is probably an early example.  My mooring is a drying one so the keel is lifted every time I return to the mooring and the rudder, a new one by Tony Mackillican is removed.
Probably better to descale the keel and fair the surface with epoxy and forget cladding it.
I should be able to access the top of the keel by adjusting the height of hoisting!  I just hope that replacing the top box is not required.
Regards   Keith

IP Logged
Jonathan
Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Bromley
Reply #6 - 21.04.2020 at 10:40:36

Whether or not coating the keel will stop any rusting completely is beyond my knowledge but I would have thought there was a possibility of rust expanding GRP possibly jamming it. What I can say is that if the boat is on a drying mooring because of the rake of the keel and its position the boat will sit on the trailing edge of the keel when it grounds each tide.

This is metal to metal contact and I doubt any coating will survive long. It is because of this I had to make good damage to the trailing edge of the keel and the aft end of the frame in the hull. When the boat had the original mild steel top box mine was a lot further gone than I realized before I came to replacing it. The hole for the locking pin had been elongated to several inches allowing the boat to hunt up and down on the keel on each grounding and lift off. This is what caused so much damage. Now the contact is stainless to stainless and no up and down movement so no detectable wear.

The boat sits on a trailer with the keel bulb resting on the draw bar each winter which prevents lowering it but does give a good view of what happens when grounding. I have had it since 1991 and every few years rig up scaffolding to over winter it so I can drop the keel and do any work necessary. Rust only seems to get to a certain point and all I have ever done is coat it with some king of primer and anti foul. It does mean I can check the keel bolts are as rust free as they should be  and grease the block for the cable. I have replaced the cable a few times as the previous owner told me the swaging, on what I take to have been the original, gave way and he was stuck with the keel in the down position. The ferrule is dunked on every use and lives in a very humid place so I like to play safe.

I have had the keel jammed down because the original spindles for the guide wheels/bushes became bent. Not an experience I want to repeat and had the spindles replaced with heavier gauge material.

IP Logged
Paul
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 21.04.2020 at 15:18:05

Hi keith and Jonathan,
My experience of drying mooring spring fed mud over shingle similar to jonathan except wear on bulb is about 6 to 8 inches fom front
Seems mud givesca bit of buoyancy as last foot or so of hull shows no wear.
When I chocked up the boat on trailet to ease accesscand examine lower keel it showed barnacles only up about 18 inches  so with most of tme with keel lifted coating damage seems confined to that 18 inches though very little.
Whatever I apply to u/s of bulb it wears off so i treat with rust remover, wash off and spray coatHammerite.
In a good year it gets 2 coats epoxy but often antifoul straight on on underside
Cheers
Paul

IP Logged
Excelsior
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Reply #8 - 30.04.2020 at 13:54:09

Hi Paul,
Eureka!  I have just removed the shallow bins behind the bunks on Excelsior and found two of them have the numbers 003 on them!  We can now add Excelsior to the list as number 3.
Regarding drying moorings.  My mooring is on flat firm sand, the keel leaves a full length depression only a couple of inches deep, so only a few barnacles on the keel and part way up inside the box.  All the other boats moored in the vicinity are twin keelers so Excelsior being wind rode often is dried out on a different heading to all the others.
Again many thanks for your help and advice.
Just frustated that I will not be working my Large tides this year.
Kindest regards and thanks again
Keith

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print