Send Topic Print
Trapper model overview (Read 154 times)
jemimapuddleduck
Seaman Recruit

Love the water !

Trapper model overview
30.08.2021 at 15:36:06

Hi to all you Trapper aficionados,
Iím interested in upgrading my current open cruising dinghy with boom tent to a small sailing yacht (trying to keep the Mrs happy).
Iím looking at various makes and model and Iíve also been considering Trappers. Iíd like to get an overview of the various models and I was wondering if anyone can help me understand the main differences. There are some keys aspects I am looking to consider and may compromise more or less on and I was wondering if something could let me know which models meet, or may meet, the following criteria:
1.) will dry out level
1.1) Bilge keel
1.2) Lifting or retractable/swinging keel
2.) Outboard well
3.) 5í8Ē + headroom
4.) Galley/kitchenette
5.) separate or private heads.
6.) Trailerable by car (4x4)

Also any info on the naming convention and lengths between the 240, 250, 300, 28/400, 500/501, 700 would be greatly appreciated.

In realty Iím looking for something cheap, low maintenance (i know thatís a contradiction of terms for a boatÖ), but relatively comfortable. That I can keep on cheap swinging moorings that dry out. That I can sail in shallows and sleep onboard comfortably while dried out.. no leaning to one side for hours and hours at a time.. the Mrs will not be happy.

Any other information, advice or opinions you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Many thanks in advance
Manuel

« Last Edit: 30.08.2021 at 15:36:39 by jemimapuddleduck »  
  IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Re: Trapper model overview
Reply #1 - 30.08.2021 at 19:29:57

Manuel
I am a long term owner of a T300. Number is pure  marketing mumbo jumbo. Length is 7.93 m. This model not really suitable for your needs. A couple of bilge keelers do exist but most are fin - mine draws 1.85m. A lifting keel version was listed but none made as far as I know.
Others with more knowledge will doubtless be along but the slightly smaller T240/250 may suit. Most of the bigger 500/501's are bilge but a bit to big to trailer.
All are now quite a few years old. I have yet to know of any boat that  is low maintenance!!!
Good luck & let  us know how you get  on.

IP Logged
jemimapuddleduck
Seaman Recruit

Love the water !

Reply #2 - 01.09.2021 at 05:45:34

Thanks John. That helps me narrow things down. Much appreciated. In case I do stumble across a bilge keel 300 can you let me know if it has†standing height n the main cabin, and the layout, does it include galley and separate head?
Yes, i know low maintenance is utopia, i really meant lower maintenance, or something easier to maintain on a smaller budget.
The trailerable thing is lower on my priority list in reality, but still a nice feature that can help solve other problems.

« Last Edit: 01.09.2021 at 06:45:27 by jemimapuddleduck »  
  IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Reply #3 - 06.09.2021 at 14:22:12

Manuel: yes standing headroom in main cabin. Galley yes. Heads in forepeak, separate partition in Mk 2 version

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print