Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Trapper Owner Association
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Standing rigging setup on mast raising (Read 105 times)
Fredster
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Standing rigging setup on mast raising
18.09.2021 at 02:47:29

Hi all,
I have been looking for some information about the standing rigging.
I see the ďimportant information ď sticky post by Alan, where the mast rake is talked about but has anyone seen a post or other pointer about rig tension?
[[EDIT] further sifting through the threads has given me some more rigging pointers. Iíll keep this post up anyway in case someone has something to add. ]

I guess itís likely after this number of years that some boats will have new and different spec shrouds, backstay, forstay etc. What is typical? ( diameter and tensions)
At the moment Iím very much thinking from a safety/cruising point of view. Donít want to break a mast from having it wrong.
Thanks.
Fred.

« Last Edit: 18.09.2021 at 03:44:02 by Fredster »  
  IP Logged
John Woodhouse
Very Old Salt

Re: Standing rigging setup on mast raising
Reply #1 - 19.09.2021 at 09:47:50

On my  T300 I had the standing rigging upped one size for peace of mind. My rigging expert told me many years ago rigs fail due to not being sufficiently tensioned.

IP Logged
Fredster
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Reply #2 - 19.09.2021 at 17:52:42

Thanks for the reply John.
I am hoping to find, or someone will point me to, a set of tensions for the rigging. Loose rigging being the thing to avoid but over tight rigging will cause other woes.
Thanks again for the reply.
Fred

IP Logged
Jonathan
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Bromley
Reply #3 - 25.09.2021 at 12:35:05

Azurian still has the original mast and the standing rigging is 4mm though when I fitted a furler my sailmaker (Kemp) advised the fore stay was increased to 5mm. This meant drilling at the mast fitting to accommodate a larger clevis pin. I use a Loos gauge to reset the tension every time I take the mast down and that comes with recommendations for the correct tension on various wire sizes. Experience has taught me I need to set the tension at the top of the suggested range to avoid slack lee shrouds in any weight of wind. Later adjustment may be needed after first or second sail to eliminate a bit of lee shroud slackness.

I set the uppers first and then the lowers second. That makes it easier to ensure a straight luff and my understanding is the uppers are most important and the main job of the lowers is to restrict mast bend. On my boat the backstay is adjusted by a tackle and jammer. I think this is a question of what seem right - you can see the effect it has on mast bend and of course it tensions the forestay.

The guy I bought my Loos from advised for uppers in fractional rig the tension is up to 20% of breaking strain which for 4mm wire is 1500 kg so tension 300kg. I find if I go to the next to last stop on the Loos gauge there may well be no need for later tweaking.

The gauge looks expensive for what it is but it takes guesswork out of play and I think if you shop around they can be had at more reasonable prices. If yours is the original 4mm wire it is just covered by the smaller model as the next size up costs quite a bit more.

I see the prices have gone way up since I bought mine years ago or maybe I am getting more stingy than I realize.  I see there are quite a few other makes available and there is a practical boat owner test from a few years back to be found here https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/pbo-tested-4-rig-tension-gauges-45215

« Last Edit: 25.09.2021 at 12:46:36 by Jonathan »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print